The nutritious Flax Seeds : Health Benefits and Easy Recipes!
Other useful hub by Chitrangada Sharan
- How To Detoxify? Detox Diets: 7 Days Effective Detox...
Are you the one, who has a tendency to overindulge? Have you been feeling sluggish, bloated, sleep deprived, difficulty in losing weight? Then this article is for you.You might need a Detox Diet Plan.
Flax Seeds are loaded with Nutrition!
© Chitrangada Sharan, Feb. 2014
All Rights Reserved.
- When I was a little girl, I often used to see my grandfather including Flax seed recipes, Nuts, Moong sprouts, Garlic, roughage and other healthy options in his diet. He had sound health, no joint pains, or bone related issues, no heart related problems or hypertension, diabetes etc. and he used to ride his bicycle even at the age of 80 plus.
- At that time, there were not many magazines or media to tell you the health benefits of foods that we eat. But people were aware of healthy foods and even though medical science was not as advanced as today, they led healthy and disciplined life.
- May be there were not much junk foods and more of physical activities as compared to today' s lifestyle.
- In the light of this, I am going to discuss the health benefits of Flax Seeds and how we can consume this. I would be happy to share the particular recipes which my grandfather enjoyed.
Other useful hub by Chitrangada Sharan
- What Are The Essential Antioxidants? How To IncludeT...
Antioxidant are those vital nutrients usually termed as Vitamins and Minerals, which protect our body's cells from wear and tear and repairs them. They are found in abundance in natural food items.
What are Flax Seeds and why it makes sense to include them in our daily diet?
Flax Seeds are tiny brown colored seeds, which contain high levels of dietary fiber, number of Anti oxidants and abundance of micro nutrients such as Omega 3 fatty acids, as such it can be very beneficial for Vegans, who do not consume fish in particular.
Health Benefits Of FlaxSeeds:
1. Cardiovascular diseases or diseases related to Heart:
Omega 3 fatty acids are beneficial in Heart related problems, as found by experts. It is anti inflammatory and regularizes heart beats.
It has been observed by experts that Flax Seeds help in preventing the hardening of Arteries and blockages and does not allow to build up plaques.
Flax Seeds also help to maintain ideal Heart rate and is very effective in treating the complaints of Heart palpitations or irregular Heart beats.
2. Maintains Cholesterol Levels:
Recently One of my friend's husband was advised to include Flax Seed in his diet as his HDL was at a lower level than expected in his routine medical check up.
Taking Flax Seeds daily has helped people maintain their Cholesterol levels.
Increased LDL or Bad Cholesterol in bloodstream can give rise to many diseases, such as Heart problems, Diabetes, Hormonal problems etc.
Flax Seeds helps to increase HDL or Good Cholesterol and maintains the LDL, HDL Levels.
3. Cancers :
Doctors and Nutritionists are of the opinion that Flax Seeds helps to fight and prevent certain types of Cancers in men and women. It has Anti oxidants and Anti inflammatory properties that provide protection and helps in fighting certain Cancers.
4. Menopause and Hot Flashes:
With the onset of Menopause in women, there comes lot of problems, which may or may not need medical attention. In other words, it is very difficult for some women , whereas it is manageable in others.
Studies seem to suggest that regular intake of Flax Seeds has helped many women to reduce the intensity of Hot Flashes.
Flax Seeds also helps to maintain Bone Density after Menopause, as has been observed by studies.
5. Fiber Food helps in Digestion:
Flax Seeds have rich fiber content and it has a unique gum like component called Mucilage, which helps to improve intestinal absorption of nutrients in digestive process. This also helps to prevent Colon Cancer.
How To Eat Flax Seeds?
Flax Seeds should not be eaten without grinding it as it will not be digested and you will not benefit from its nutrients.
You can grind it your self or buy Ground Flax Seeds from a nearby supermarket.
If you are buying it from the store, check the manufacturing and expiry date. If stored for a long time, it might lose its Nutritional value.
Why not grind Flax Seeds yourself!
~ It is a very simple procedure.
~ Buy Brown Flax Seeds from the Super market or nearby Grocery shop.
~ Place a non stick pan on flame and dry roast the seeds for 4 to 5 minutes or till they start crackling.
~ Remove from fire and let it cool.
~ Grind in the dry grinder of your food processor.
~ Store in dark bottles to prevent oxidizing, as it reduces its nutritional value.
~ You may store in closed bottles in refrigerators too.
Flax Seeds Recipes!
There are many creative recipes, which you can try. Just let your imagination flow.
1. In Baking:
Mix some ground Flax Seed powder in your regular Breads, Muffins, Pizzas, Wraps, Biscuits and Cookies etc. The ratio could be one fourth along with your regular flour.
You can easily get breads containing Flax seeds at local markets too.
2. In Soups or Salads or Smoothies:
You may also include about one tablespoonful per serving ground Flax Seeds, in your regular soups.
Salads taste delicious with dry and roasted Flax Seeds. Use it as a dressing.
3. In Chapatis:
I find ground Flax Seeds powder stuffed chapatis very delicious. Remember to include a little bit of salt and Red chilli powder in it and prepare like a normal stuffed chapati. You may or may not use butter, as per your choice.
4. Flax Seed Laddoo:
Indians have a great liking for Laddoos and ground Flax Seeds combined with Jaggery is a great combination to make Laddoos.
5. Just Sprinkle It:
If you do not want to take the trouble of preparing some recipes, just sprinkle it on your Salads, over your Cereals, such as Rice or Oats or even better munch it like a Snack.
Flax seeds recipe suggestions, source: You tube
Do you include Flax Seeds in your daily diet?
To Sum Up:
- After reading this, one may think of Flax Seeds as a wonderful Super food.
- But remember, good health is combination of sensible and healthy eating, Physical exercises and an overall healthy Lifestyle and a Positive Outlook.
- Pregnant women and nursing mothers should not consume Flax Seeds.
- Too much of everything is bad, so care must be taken as regards the quality and quantity of this Wonderful seed.
- Nutritionists suggest 1 to 2 tablespoonful of Flax seeds is enough for a day.
- This is just a friendly guide about the health benefits of Flax Seeds. For any specific, medical guidance, your Doctor is the best person to advise.
© Chitrangada Sharan, 26th Feb. 2014,
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
Flax Seeds for weight loss, source: You tube
Other useful hubs by Chitrangada Sharan
- Five Bitter But Healthy Foods That You Better Eat Fo...
Health experts feel that the deficiency of bitter foods in our regular diet is to a great extent, responsible for growing diseases.These foods purify, are anti bacterial, anti viral,anti inflammatory.
- Super Food Oats: For Healthy Breakfast~~~6 Oats Reci...
Heart ailments are increasing everyday all over the world. Its important to watch what we are eating. Including healthy Oats in our diet, may be the first step towards a healthy Heart. See the recipes.
- How To Make Moong Sprouts (Green Gram) or Kala Chana...
Who doesn't know about the health benefits of sprouts! You must be taking it as well in your daily diet. But have you tried making your own fresh, hygienic sprouts at home! Read on how to make sprouts
- Soyabean : The Wonderful Source Of Protein, Health ...
If you are a Vegetarian and always thinking of increasing your Protein intake, this article is for you. Soyabean is very high in Protein content required for growth, energy and other multiple benefits.
© 2014 Chitrangada Sharan