1 Carb Pancake!
When it comes to doing Atkins or any other low carb diet, sometimes finding a way to create the foods you loved before, can be really difficult. For me, I craved bread and pancakes. After eating egg after egg after egg every morning, it began to make me feel ill just thinking about it. I went on a mission to find something else that would be tasty but still keep me on track.
When I found the recipe for low carb pancakes I thought it was too good to be true. But after trying it, and modifying a few things, I fell in love.
The recipe is simple and the pancake is huge. All in all it comes out to 1 carbohydrate! This is perfect for those of us who are on the 20 grams a day plan. Not only does it taste fantastic but it's full of protein and my husband actually even likes it. I had a “real” pancake a month or so ago and I thought it was disgusting. Shocking I know.
Without further ado, here it is!
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 Tbs Wheat Gluten
- 2 Tbs Heavy Whipping Cream, (Almond milk will also work)
- 1 Tbs Olive Oil, (Any oil you like will do)
- 1 Tbs Water
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- Dash Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Sugar Substitute, (I often don't use anything)
- Mix all of the ingredients together. Don't be too concerned with the lumps. Do what you can and then forget about them. They will cook out.
- Cook like a regular pancake!
- Top with your favorites. I use sugar free syrup and blueberries. Remember through, if you add to the pancake don't forget to add the carbs for your toppings!
*Remember to subtract the sugar alcohol from the carbohydrate count in your sugar free syrup! Also, remember to subtract the dietary fiber from the carbohydrate count.
If you want, you can always add fruit to the top (just remember to count the carbs in that amount) or spread some sugar free jam on it with a little whipped cream. The options are endless. This is a super useful recipe for a snack when you get a sweet tooth!