- Diet & Weight Loss
10 Fat Busters for a Slimmer You
Food to Enhance Your Diet
Whether you have five or 50 pounds to lose, you might be searching for foods that will help you in the weight loss challenge. Wouldn't it be helpful to find food that suppresses appetite, blocks fat, calms cravings, speeds metabolism and helps your overall health? If you already know how to eat right, but need an extra boost, here is a list of 10 fat busting foods that should be added to your diet this year.
1. Safflower Oil - Some studies have found out interesting information about safflower oil. Safflower oil is plant oil that can be used in cooking. Apparently, it can also be used to get rid of unwanted fat. I'm not much of a believer in spot reduction, but it turns out that safflower oil can trick the fat cells in the trunk region. Studies showed a reduction in abdominal fat and an increase in muscle tissue in post-menopausal women. In addition, safflower oil can improve inflammation, insulin levels, blood sugar and good cholesterol. Doctors recommend 1 2/3's teaspoons daily or try a dietary supplement that contains safflower oil. You can read more about the benefits and how it works in the article by Science Daily http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110321134629.htm.
2. Chia Seeds - Now, let's talk appetite suppressants. I've never been one for pill popping to reduce cravings. There are just too many side effects. It turns out there is a healthier way to reduce appetite. Chia Seeds - yes, the same things that are sold by the Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia Pet makers...but don't eat that stuff!!! - are a natural appetite suppressant. An ounce has about four grams of protein, 11 grams of fiber and a healthy dose of Omega-3 fatty acids. They also expand in your stomach causing you to feel full after eating. There are Chia energy bars or you can buy a bag of Chia seeds whole or ground at the health food store and add them to your morning oatmeal or smoothie, or use them as a substitute for eggs or breadcrumbs in baking. Check out more ideas for Chia seeds at http://www.chiaseedrecipes.com.
3. Lentils – If you’re looking for extra help in the belly area, lentils might be a good solution. Once again, spot reduction is not a reality. You won’t get a six pack with thousands of crunches or any type of food if you have pounds of fat covering it up. Make lentils with pastas, soups or other recipes for a boost of protein and soluble fiber. Their slow absorption is great for keeping your blood sugar stable, cholesterol low and your stomach full. They are also a good source of folic acid, iron and magnesium so have about three cups per week.
4. Apples - Of course fruit is an essential part of a healthy diet, but apples are a great snack. They suppress appetite with expanding soluble fiber, - similar to the Chia seeds - they're low in sodium, so water weight gain is kept to a minimum, and they reduce cholesterol warding off heart disease, some cancers and even the cold. An apple a day...well, you know.
5. Eggs or Oatmeal? Both! If you are eating properly, you are starting the day with breakfast. Breakfast raises the metabolism by about ten percent. Eggs and oatmeal are two great choices. A study showed that eating eggs for breakfast over bagels provided bigger weight loss. That's probably because protein keeps you fuller, longer so less unhealthy snacking before lunchtime. Also, contrary to popular belief, eating food, like eggs, with a high cholesterol content doesn't usually affect blood cholesterol levels. Oatmeal contains tons of dietary fiber (more if you choose steel cut oats over instant), and it's a resistant starch so it will digest slowly and keep you full and energetic.
6. Nuts - Go nuts for nuts! Well, not too nuts. Eating too many can backfire since they can be high in calories and fat. Studies show that people who consume nuts like almonds and walnuts, daily (about a handful at a time), showed less weight gain than those who didn't. Walnuts also contain alpha-linolenic acid, an Omega-3 fatty acid; they're the only nuts with this nutrient. Almonds are a good source of vitamin E which is good for skin cell regeneration, too. Eat both for all their nutritive values.
7. Hot peppers - Some may not be fans of hot peppers, but maybe this will change your mind. Hot peppers can reduce cholesterol and triglycerides, and kill the bacteria that can cause stomach ulcers. Not only this, but they may reduce cravings due to their Capsaicin content, an ingredient which has become popular in weight loss remedies. Hot peppers, like jalapenos, have also been shown to speed metabolism.
8. Fish Oil - Polyunsaturated fats are good fats found in fish oil. In a recent study, it was found that the group that took fish oil as part of their diet lost a little more than a pound more than the group who didn't. This is thought to be because fish oil decreases insulin levels. Insulin is thought to activate enzymes that turn carbs to fat and promote fat storages. Fish oil supplements can be taken or find Omega 3's and Omega 6's in coldwater fish, a variety of plant oils, beans, etc.
9. Whey Protein Powder - If you exercise, you might want to consider a whey protein supplement in a pre-workout shake. It promotes energy, endurance and muscle strength. Whey protein is a branched-chain amino acid (BCAA) that helps reduce muscle protein breakdown during exercise. Body builders use it for bulking up, but lower fat versions are good for women and people who just want to tone and shape up.
10. Green tea - People have been shouting about green tea for years, but it really can help with weight loss. It speeds metabolism for two reasons - caffeine and EGCG. If it were just caffeine, you could have your morning coffee and be on your way, but EGCG has been shown to go the extra mile for the metabolism. EGCG is also an antioxidant that helps prevent certain cancers.