10 Health Benefits Of Fresh Pineapple
Health benefits of eating fresh pineapples and drinking pineapple juice are many, though eating them on moderation is the key. You can read about the health benefits of pineapples here.
This article is meant for discussion purpose only and the points made here are only for sharing general information, so please don't consider this as a medical advice. If you have any health concerns or questions, please check with your doctor. Some people tend to be allergic to pineapples, just like many other kind of foods, so it is better to be cautious if you are trying pineapples for the first time.
If you are pregnant, it is better to avoid eating pineapples or it is advisable to check with your doctor before you include them in your diet.
Fresh pineapples are sweet and juicy tropical fruits. If you love pineapples, you might be interested to learn more about the health benefits of eating fresh pineapples.
Pineapples were always available to me but I was not very fond of them probably because I was trying to eat them before they were ripe enough. It was very recently that I have tried a very ripe and juicy pineapple. It was so sweet that I wanted to snack on it all the day. I actually thought of trying a pineapple cake recipe that I found online, but I couldn't resist the temptation so I ate them all fresh.
If you do not like pineapples, one reason might be that you are trying the less ripe, sour ones that can cause slight rashes in mouth.That was my mistake. All these years I tried the less ripe pineapples, so I didn't find them very appealing.
Actually few fresh pineapples were sitting in my kitchen counter from few days. We had cut the first one as soon as we bought them, and it was sweet and little sour. We had plans to cut the remaining soon, but somehow it got delayed and they all sat them there for a few days. When we finally took the fruits out to cut, I actually thought they might have rotten. But to my surprise, they were still good with a golden yellow colour and have become very soft. The fruits were very tender, sweet and juicy, and I just loved them! I am quite disappointed that I never tried them when they were so ripe, all these years. I am so happy that even my one year old loved the sweet fresh pineapple pieces!
Fresh pineapple fruits are not just sweet, but they are very healthy with lots of vitamins and fibers.
Photos used in this article are obtained from Pixabay.
Read about the most important 10 health benefits of eating fresh pineapple fruits
1. Pineapple contains lots of vitamin C, more than half of what you need for a day and this means pineapples can help you develop a stronger immune system.
100 grams of pineapple has 47.8 mg of Vitamin C.
2. Pineapples are good for your eyes. The beta-carotene responsible for the yellow pigmentation in the fruit is necessary for healthy eyes. A new study has proved that the beta-carotene in fruits protect our eyes even better than the beta-carotene in vegetables.
3. The bromelain in pineapple stalk and the core of the fruit has got anti inflammatory properties, so including the fruit in your diet may help you protect against diseases related to inflammation, injuries and pain in muscles.
4. The bromelain also helps to break down the protein easily, so the intake of pineapples can help kids develop strong bones.
5. Pineapples have got lots of soluble fibres which aids digestion.
6. Pineapple is one of the few fruits with lots of water content, when it is fully ripe. The water content in pineapples are less than that in water melons and few other fruits, but greater than most other fruits as they contain 87 percent water by weight.
7. Pineapple is an excellent natural source of the vitamin manganese which is very much required for the health of body cells, the importance of which is rather overlooked.
8. Pineapple is one of the rich fruit sources of B vitamins like folic acid and thiamine, which are very much needed for the healthy functioning of your body.
9. Pineapples are rich in natural antioxidants known as flavonoids which is very much needed for cardiac health.
10. Pineapple is very low in calories. To be specific, there are 50 calories in about 100 grams of fruit. So if you are trying to lose weight, pineapples can be added to your diet which helps you feel full with out adding much calories.
A pineapple slicer and corer will help you to cut the pineapples more easily!
Pineapple Slicer And Corer | Handy Kitchen Tool
Check out the below YouTube video to learn how to tell if a pineapple is ripe.
YouTube Video On How To Tell If A Pineapple Is Ripe
Is there anything negative about including pineapples in your diet?
When we discuss about the health benefits of a particular food, it is also important to point out the negative things, if there is any.
Some people develop an allergy to pineapples. So if you have a pineapple allergy, you might need to avoid including them in your diet or you need to check with your doctor.
Also, it is believed that pineapples are not good for you if you are pregnant or if you have any illness related to the uterus. So in those cases too, it will be better to avoid pineapples for the time being.
The below YouTube video will help you to learn how to cut a pineapple easily.
YouTube Video On How To Cut A Pineapple
Pineapples do not ripe anymore than what they were at the time of harvesting. So when you buy pineapples, always choose the well ripened ones from the stores if you love the sweet fruits. You can store them at room temperature for over a couple of days so that they will become more soft and juicy. If you want to store them for more than a couple of days, you can keep them in plastic wraps and store in refrigerator.
Eating too much pineapples may cause irritation in skin around the mouth, and may even result in vomiting and skin rash. So you should always eat them in moderation, to enjoy the wonderful and exotic tropical flavor along with all the nutritional benefits!