How to Get Rid of Constipation - 10 Natural Home Remedies
OK YES, I am going to talk about that topic that no one ever really wants to talk about out loud. You know the rare topic you don't really talk about with anyone except your doctor, and sometimes not even them. It stinks, it looks bad, so why talk about it when you can just come to the internet to look for the answers you need so you can get back to pretending it doesn't happen!
So we all poop, that means at some point in time we ALL will get constipated. For some reason talking about using the bathroom has become some horrible thing to do where you only talk about it in private. Which is funny since the majority of people are taking time out of nearly every day to do it! So don't be bashful! You have bowel movements and they are completely a normal thing to talk about.
Using the bathroom is normal and healthy. Waiting 3 and 4 days between bowel movements is not good for the body in any way. So unclog so you can be a happier and healthier you! Here are a few natural remedies to help your body stay on track!
10 Natural Remedies for Constipation
- Flax seed - Just a couple spoon fulls should do the trick. Taken daily this can keep you regular.Mix ground flax into your yogurt. You can add ground flax seed to any cereal or oatmeal You can also put ground flax into applesauce.
- Coconut Oil - 3 teaspoons 3 times a day will clear you out in no time. This stuff is great for almost every aliment there is! If you don't want to eat it straight off of the spoon then you do have other options. Put a teaspoon in your coffee. Mix some into a smoothie. Start cooking with it, or add it into basic muffin type recipes.
- Exercise - Jog in place, do some jumping jacks, get up and move. Exercise gets your insides moving too! Exercise is one of the best things for almost anything wrong with you.
- Water - Drink 12 glasses of water a day. Quite often the main reason people suffer constipation is lack of water in the body. Drink more!
- Prune juice - Warm 8 ounces of prune juice and drink quickly. This often gives some people relief in less than an hour! If you prefer you can just eat prunes. Another option if you don't like the taste of prunes is to make a smoothie with many other fruits to cover up the flavor.
- Aloe Vera Juice - Just drink it as you would any other juice. If you don't like the taste add it to a smoothie. You can also add small amounts into yogurt or teas.
- Corn Syrup - Just add one teaspoon to 8 ounces of warm water and drink away! This one is a little harder to hide in things, but certainly worth trying.
- Honey - Just mix a couple of teaspoons of local honey into some warm water and drink twice a day. If you don't like basic honey water, be happy, because honey can go on or in so much. Try adding some to a biscuit or some bread. If you prefer you can mix it with almost any drink.
- Fiber cereal - Eat a high fiber cereal each morning to prevent constipation.
- Spicy foods - Cayenne peppers, jalapeno peppers, habanero peppers, or just a Tijuana Mama Hot sausage eaten daily will unclog even the most constipated! If you aren't good at handling chomping on a hot pepper try stir frying with them or adding them into a salad. Keep one of your 12 glasses of water near by to prepare for the heat.
The Temporary Cure For Constipation, No I am not joking!!
What Causes Constipation
There are far too many causes of constipation to list them all, but some of the major culprits are:
- Lack of Fiber in your diet
- Medical conditions such as hypothyroidism
- Lack of exercise or sitting all day
- Dehydration, or just generally not drinking enough. Sometimes alcohol and caffeine can cause the same thing by dehydrating you.
- Junk Food
- Too much Iron or Calcium, yes sometimes vitamins can cause issues
- Too many laxatives. Yes this is kind of backwards, but if you use too many your body fights back!
- Not going when you have to go, or holding it in too long
- Medications Many medications including narcotic pain relievers and depression medications can cause serious and long term constipation. (discuss this with your doctor to get medicine that can balance this out)
See a doctor
Constipation can be a side effect to many illnesses. If you are having constant issues with constipation then natural remedies may not be the solution for you. Always talk to a doctor before using natural remedies. Natural remedies should never be used as a reason to avoid proper treatment for any illness.
Take care of your body by working with a doctor who supports natural remedies and does not just push drugs on you. if your doctor doesn't think there is any stock in natural remedies please seek out a more qualified doctor!