10 Reasons to Practice Mindfulness Meditation Right Now!
What is mindfulness meditation?
People meditate for different purposes, making it hard to define meditation. For instance, personally, depending on the day, I will meditate for different reasons. It may be for relaxation, to clear my mind, become more focused, more aware, or sometimes I need to meditate in order to understand to let go of the trivial things and forgive people. My approach to meditation depends on my purpose.
Mindfulness meditation is type of approach to meditation that has a specific purpose. It's all about being present in the moment- you let your thoughts come and go in the moment, being aware of them and you observe them non-judgmentally. This is a popular type of meditation that reaps many benefits that will improve your quality of life. The following has been proven empirically, when tons of research and studies done.
1. Helps to reduce "rumination"
What I mean by that is that it reduces your focus on your distress. It helps you to look at those areas of your life less judgmentally. Your thoughts start to turn in different directions. You have increased awareness in knowledge and regulation of your cognition.
2. Improves working memory
Working memory is a part of your short-term memory. It primarily deals with your perceptual and linguistic processing that you are conscious of. Mindfulness meditation enhances the capacities of your attention and your working memory.
3. Teaches you how to regulate emotion
Since mindfulness meditation reduces rumination, it's easy to understand how it helps you regulate your emotion. When you practice this type of meditation, you learn how to look at your thoughts without associating them as either "good" or "bad". Your attention is focused on your thoughts in the moment- you accept that they come, and you let them go. From this your mind figures out a better way to handle your emotions.
Have you ever attempted to meditate before?
4. Reduces stress
By practicing mindfulness meditation, you reduce your stress levels. It's like a domino effect. Our cognitive processes improve in regulation our emotions and through this we teach ourselves that we shouldn't sweat the small stuff. Being a college student, mindfulness has reduced my anxiety and has helped me to perform better. I actually felt much less stressed after my first meditation. I felt peaceful and completely "okay" with myself. It was wonderful.
5. Increased focus
You are essentially learning how to focus your attention on your thoughts- not on your thoughts on the past or present, but on the thoughts that come when you're in the moment. It's the here and now. You learn how to filter out all of your anxieties, fears, things that excite you, etc- you filter these thoughts out and you channel it on different thoughts. This is an excellent exercise that improves your focus in other areas of your life.
6. Less likely to react on your emotions
You become a much calmer, level-headed person. You become less irrational and emotionally reactive. This benefit may take years of meditation to obtain- or you may see differences in just a few months. It varies from person to person.
7. Increased relationship satisfaction
You respond better to stress, learn to stop acting on your emotions that it's no wonder your relationship satisfaction can go through the roof- go figure! It's a simple equation really, a happier you = happier, more fulfilling relationships.
TEDx on Mindfulness:
You enhance your introspection, or your self-insight. You are able to withdraw from everything going on and are able to reflect on yourself. You learn about who you are and what you're like and better yourself in the process.
9. Improves IQ
Fadel Zeiden and his colleagues recently found that mindfulness improves your IQ. It helps your mood, stress and anxiety levels- so your focus can be better directed towards other thoughts. Practicing mindfulness everyday for 20 or so minutes can help your cognitive efficiency.
10. Overall improved wellbeing
You become an overall happier person- you feel more fulfilled as a person. You learn about yourself and how to handle yourself better. You have happier, more satisfying relationships. It really improves your quality of life.
Keep in mind..
- If you have never tried this meditation before and you'd like to try it out, it's important to realize- like anything that's good in life- you need to work hard for it. Meditation is not going to be as beneficial if you only try it out for a few days or weeks! If you're dedicated enough, you may start to notice some differences after a month of practicing meditation. Meditation will be most beneficial if you adapt it as a lifestyle change.
- New research shows that the meditation that's going to be most beneficial to you, is the one you like doing the most.
- If you really give meditation a good try, you'll find that it may be a little addictive.
- Don't get frustrated if it's not working immediately It took me hours and hours to learn how to get my mind to quiet down. It takes practice.
Other Hubs by Mariexotoni
- Quick, Homemade Chai Tea Latte Recipe: Here is an easy Chai-Tea Latte recipe that you can cook up quickly. Very tasty and easily adaptable.
- At-Home Blackhead Removal: Cheap Natural Remedies: Natural remedies to try at home today for blackhead removal.
- How to be More Confident: Brief Guide: Do you lack confidence? Here is a brief, concise guide on improving your confidence levels in school and at work!
- Healthy No-Flour, Clean-Eating Banana Pancake Recipe: Here is a simple clean-eating, 4-ingredient banana pancake recipe. No flour required!
- 10 Reasons to Practice Mindfulness Meditation: See how your quality of life can improve with mindfulness meditation, just 20-30 minutes every day!
Most Popular Hubs:
- How to Make A Starbucks Iced Caramel Macchiato- Easy Recipe: Easy recipe on how to make a Starbucks caramel macchiato for a fraction of the price. You can even make this delicious drink without an expensive espresso machine!
- How to Make A Starbucks Double Choclaty- Chip Frappucino: A delicious mock version of a Double Chocolaty-Chip Frappuccino (Fancy and delicious chocolate milk with ice!) Very easy to make!
- Delicious Ideas for a Better Hot Chocolate: Ways to Change It Up!: Easy ways to make your hot chocolate even more delicious!