10 Simple and Effective Home Remedies for Common Cold
Common cold is a type of infection in upper respiratory tract caused by various viruses. More than 200 viruses are responsible for this. Among these viruses, rhino virus, corona virus and respiratory syncytial virus are playing the prominent roles in the attack of common cold.
According the studies of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the incubation period of these different viruses are different and discomforts of common cold will last depends on the incubation periods of these viruses. Rhino virus has an incubation period of 2 to 7 days, corona virus has 2 to 10 days incubation period and the incubation period of respiratory syncytial virus is 2 to 8 days.
Common Cold Symptoms
The patient may feel sneezing, scratchy throat, runny nose (mucus drainage), watery eyes etc. when he/she is affected by cold. If the attack is severe more symptoms like headache, cough, high fever and body aches follows the initial symptoms. Normally common cold does not have any remedy. The discomforts last for nearly one week in regular cases; but if there is any attack of flu along with the cold, the symptoms will last for longer periods and more medical attention is required in such cases.
What Do You Know about Common Cold?
Ten Simple and Effective Home Remedies for Common Cold
Though the cure of common cold is not possible, several treatment methods are available for getting relief from the various symptoms of this disease. Treatment can be possible for headache, throat ache, cough, fever etc. Some simple and effective home remedies for common cold are given below and they will help you to reduce the severity of the cold:
1) Blow Your Nose Often: Continuous mucus drainage is the main symptom of the cold in the initial days. This mucus should be removed properly by blowing your nose often. Do not sniff it back to the head.
2) Drink Plenty of Fluids: You have to drink a lot of fluids to avoid dehydration. Water and other fluids will help the immune system and also keep your throat moist. You should drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water or other liquids daily. Hot liquids, such as tea will give more comfort to the sore throat. Avoid drinking alcohol, caffeinated drinks (coffee and soda), cola etc. because they will only help to increase the dehydration.
3) Gargling and Steam Inhalation: Salt water gargling will reduce the inflammation of the throat. Repeat the gargling using warm salt water solution three or four times a day.
To ease the congestion and the mucus drainage, inhale steam a few times. This will gives you more relief from the discomforts of the initial stages of cold attack.
4) Nasal Irrigation: Use saline solution or nasal sprays to irrigate nose. This will help you to reduce the stuffiness and congestion. For this you can use nasal sprays (for the selection of the over the counter nasal sprays, consult your doctor) or salt water solution prepared by you. Salt water solution can be prepared by mixing ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon baking soda in 8 ounces of warm water.
5) Chicken Soup: The treatment using chicken soup as a remedy to the ill effects of common cold was very old and it is still using in many families. Chicken soup has anti-inflammatory properties and that helps to remove the mucus and to give relief from the congestion. It will improve the immunity power of the body and speed up the healing process. For better result, consume homemade chicken soup using organic vegetable and chicken.
6) Honey: Honey has some anti-inflammatory properties and it is using as a home remedy for many ailments. You can consume honey either as a mixture of one teaspoon of lemon juice and two teaspoons of honey or simply swallow without mixing with anything. Continue this treatment in every two or three hours to get relief from the intensity of cold and sore throat. Drinking hot tea mixing with one teaspoon of honey will also help to soothe the sore throat.
7) Garlic and Ginger: Garlic has antibacterial and antiviral properties and it is good for the improvement of the immune system. Drink one cup of water mixed with 5 chopped garlic cloves and one teaspoon honey two or three times daily to get relief from the cold symptoms.
Ginger is using as a powerful remedy for many physical discomforts due to its antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties. To get relief from the cold symptoms, drink ginger tea, mixed with lemon juice and honey, several times a day.
8) Red Onion Syrup: This syrup will help you to reduce the symptoms of common cold. Prepare red onion syrup by mixing red onion, honey and brown sugar. Drink this syrup several times a day and it will give relief form sore throat and other common cold symptoms.
9) Vitamin C: Foods that are rich in vitamin A and C are good for getting relief from the symptoms of common cold. The recommended food items are oranges, kiwi, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli and spinach.
10) Rest for the Body: For many physical discomforts, rest is the best medicine. Here also when you get a cold attack, stay in your home and take rest till the intensity of the cold diminishes. Take rest in a warm bed room with humidifier or vaporizer. When you take rest, the body will conserve all the energy to do the immunity battle against common cold viruses and it will also help to prevent the chances of infection among the other members in your family, school or work place.
Natural Remedies for Kids
Do you believe that common cold can be cured within two days using modern medicine?
Common Cold Prevention
Since this is a virus originated disease, no preventive medicine is formulated successfully. But you can resist the frequent attack of cold viruses by boosting up the immunity power of your body. Do some necessary changes in your diet with the help of your doctor and practice meditation, yoga or muscle relaxing exercises regularly to keep your body and mind in good health condition. Only a healthy body can win the battle against the attack of foreign intruders and save you from the suffering. When you get the cold infection, try the above simple and effective home remedies for common cold for getting relief from its severe symptoms.