Healthy Eating: Top 10 Raw Vegan Foods
10 Raw Vegan Foods I Enjoy
It is hard to believe I am writing this list but here are my top 10 Raw Vegan Foods.
Hard to believe is right because in 2009 I barely ate any fresh fruits or vegetables. It was in late 2010 that I made a concerted effort to include more fresh fruits and vegetables into my diet.
YES, I would love to lose weight but I would also love for my children to break my bad eating habits and include more fresh raw vegan foods into their diets as well.
It has worked - the more I eat with health in mind, the more my boys follow my example without one nagging word from my mouth.
Top 10 Raw Vegan Foods - My all time Favorite Fruits and Vegetables
- Kiwi - the bright lime color of this fruit along with it's citrus taste is perfect as is or as an addition to a salad
- Banana - my second most favorite fruit and the perfect companion to any smoothie either savory or sweet
- Kale - first tried this as a food back in 2009. Prior to that I was like many Americans and thought this was strictly a garnish.
- Watermelon - YUM - it is especially tasty as a liquid drink on a hot summer afternoon
- Lemon Cucumber - tried this odd looking cucumber this past summer when I received a couple in my CSA organic fruits and vegetables box. Called so because of the 'lemon' look but taste just like their long green relatives - the skin is thinner and not as bitter.
- Tomato - Since starting to grow these in my own garden they have become some of my favorite additions to salads, juices, soups, and even on their own.
- Blueberries - I don't think I have ever tastes fresh blueberry's before. I wasn't a big fan unless they were in juice or a muffin. My CSA organic produce box changed that for me.
- Avocado - I love this versatile buttery green fruit. It is perfect as is, in salads, in sandwiches and it makes the smoothest smoothies and spreads.
- Carrots - my husband introduced me to carrot juice early in our marriage and if you hate carrots try a number of different varieties before making your final decision. In raw tacos, I used shredded carrots to fool my mind into thinking I have cheese. :)
- Mango - Another excellent addition to smoothies but my all-time favorite way to enjoy Mango is with a bit of chili powder on top. This was introduced to me when my children were young by a neighbor who sold these on a stick during the summer months.
My new favorite cool treat on hot summer day is simply running cubed watermelon through the food processor. If you put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes it gets a bit icey and is reminiscent of a slushy.
If you have a juicer just juice the watermelon and you will have a clear yummy glass of refreshing watermelon juice.
Fire and Ice Salsa
And You Thought There Was Only One Type of Kale
Potassium Rich Bananas
The Exotic Mango
Smooth and Tasty
* Grown in Southeast Asia for over 4,000 years
* Mango trees are evergreens that grow to 60 feet tall
* Yield 4- 6 years after planting
* Requires Dry and Hot weather
* Most imported from Mexico, Haiti, Caribbean and South America
Facts from FreshMangos.com
Carrots As Medicine - Plus more trivia from the carrot museum
~ Carrots were first grown as medicine and not food.
~ Holtville California is the 'Carrot Capital of the World' hosting a carrot festival for over 60 years
~ You can make a Carrot Pan Flute
~ The Japanese word for carrot is 'Ninjin'
~ Bugs Bunny's Carrot was a 'Danvers'
Want to know more trivia about the Carrot? Visit The Carrot Museum for 101 Things You never knew about Carrots
Blueberries - A Smoothy Recipe
Garden Fresh Tomatoes
The Buttery Avocado - A Perfect Green Fruit
I enjoy avocado as is with a spoon and recently just enjoyed a smoothie recipe that used avocado and cucumber.
Avocados are good as spreads and dips - not just guacamole although that is a delicious way to enjoy it.
Another new recipe I was introduced to was an Avocado dressing. Just smash up an avocado and squeeze 1/2 lemon juice and stir. Add this to your salad.
Raw Food Books - Interested in the Raw Food Diet?
There are a number of Raw food books on the market but these are some of my favorites. If money is tight google 'free raw ebook' and you will find downloadable options that will give you basic information as well.
Photos not Creative Commons photos are Copyright Sara Duggan aka Momwithahook.
Learn More About My Favorite Vegan Foods
The following links will take you away from Squidoo.com - You will learn the history of the fruit-vegetable as well as how to prepare them and even grow them.
The National Watermelon Promotion Board has facts and history of the watermelon. Did you know that there are nearly 200 different varieties? Early explorers used watermelons as canteens. The first recorded harvested watermelon was harvest in Egypt ne
- Kiwi Fruit - Kiwifruits Facts, Nutrition Data and Health Benefits
Kiwi fruit facts with nutritional data, health benefits of kiwifruits, detailed recipes and a guide on growing kiwi fruits
- Welcome to Banana.com - See Our Banana Forum
Complete Guide to Bananas features the history of bananas, banana recipes, the purchase and storage of bananas, how to grow bananas, medicinal uses of bananas, the nutritional benefits of bananas and the Banana Blog.
- A Mango Web Site. All about mangos
Mangoes featuring mango recipes,mangos for your health, history of mangoes, how to select and store mangos, how to eat mangos
- US Highbush Blueberry Council | Little Blue Dynamos
Learn more about blueberry health benefits, explore blueberry recipes and discover what makes blueberries nature's little blue dynamos.
- Avocado Nutritional Information | California Avocado Commission
Each serving of creamy, delicious avocado offers nearly 20 vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. Get more avocado nutritional information at avocado.org.