12 Weight Loss Tips for Office Workers
Losing weight can be hard.
When you’re stuck at a desk all day, it gets even harder. Not only do you have to find the time outside of work hours to exercise, but you often have to spend so long at work that you never even get the time to look after yourself properly nutritionally.
What’s the answer then?
Multi-tasking, it seems. Although stuck in a fairly sedentary occupation, you can make small changes to your daily routine, which – when combined with other small changes over a period of time can compound to produce a dramatic result.
Let these 18 weight loss tips for office workers get you off to a great start...
1. Use the stairs. Always. Sick of waiting for the elevator to arrive only to stand in a crowded, musty little box that stops every floor on the way to your destination? Take the stairs!
2. Make your own lunch. Don’t buy sushi and hotdogs. By cooking or making your own lunch, you get complete control over what goes into your body.
3. Control your portions. This is related to the above: by preparing your own meals, you also control the size of your meals. This is half the battle. For those of us with weak wills, the temptation to eat more can be controlled simply by the fact that there is no more left to eat.
4. Speed up your metabolism. Speed your metabolism up by snacking on foods that are calorie negative.
5. Set yourself a schedule for eating. Eat small meals, reasonably often. Don’t lump all of your calorific intake into 2 or 3 sittings for the day.
6. Resist the urge to eat as soon as you feel it. Mental activity – which as an office worker you do plenty of, can send a false signal to your body that you need replenishment. This is not always the case though. If you are following the above tips about scheduling and speeding up your metabolism, you should be fine.
7. Eat Breakfast! It can be hard to fit in 3 square meals a day when you’re constantly under the pump, but try hard to fit breakfast in – your body consumes an awful lot of energy in the morning, and having breakfast will stop you feeling run down and lethargic.
8. Cut down on birthdays. In a large office there can be a birthday every second day. Try cutting them out (not much fun) or having collective birthday parties each month.
9. Brush your teeth throughout the day. Doing so helps you to avoid the temptation for sweet treats throughout the day – and it’s good for your teeth!
10. Keep gum handy. Not just to freshen your breath, but also to stave off your appetite. Simply chewing on gum can reduce your temptation to eat unnecessarily.
11. Ban vending machines! Nobody really needs them anyway. Alternatively, perhaps the office can collectively “chip in” for a delivery of fruit every day or so?
12. Quit, and become a bicycle messenger. OK, it’s not that practical – but speaking from experience it is a hell of a lot more fun than being stuck in a building all day, and you’ll get ultra fit in 2 weeks at the most!
Working in an office doesn’t have to be a death sentence for your waistline. Incorporate these tips into your daily routine and you’ll be off to that much better of a start.
What are your weight loss tips as an office worker? Let us know below…