12 Causes and Ways to Relieve Intestine and Stomach Gurgling
Have Intestine or Stomach Gurgling?
There is almost no person that does not feel that from time to time. In some people it is caused by chronic colitis, in others it is just the last meal they had. But the good news is, it is quite curable.
Here are twelve common causes and ways to relieve it:
1. Tap Water
We put tap water everywhere — in coffee, tea, soup, most meals that need boiling, and more.
Tap water means fluorine or chlorine, depending on what part of the world you live. It needs to be left out for few hours in the open, so that the cleaning chemicals evaporate.
- A good practice to have is to have 5 liters (~2 gallons) put aside for cooking and drinking. Don't be afraid it will go "old" or stale.
- Put good water filter in the kitchen or buy a water jug with filter.
2. Insomnia or Lack of Sleep
When your body is sleep deprived, it does not function well. Fatigue in the whole body can also lead to digestive problems.
It is proven, that sleep deprivation can make you obese even without changing of your eating habits. Your body tries to replenish the energy missing from good sleep with food.
- Sleep at least 7 hours, and add 20-30 minutes for falling asleep itself (get to bed a bit earlier with a book or a tablet).
- Drink warm tea and let yourself doze naturally.
Your body is incredibly easy to program. If you need to get up at 7 and you get to bed at 11 PM, your sleeping pattern will be accepted by your body in less than a week and you will get sleepy around 11 PM.
3. Trauma (from Tight Belts)
You may not believe this, but even a tight belt can make your intestines gurgle and cause your mouth to burp.
- Relieve your belly by loosening the belt after meals. It is not that gross for the others around you, and your belly will be happy. Leave it some breathing space for at least 2 hours after a meal.
If you are a girl or young woman that is going to deliver soon and your kid is hitting you often with his little feet and elbows, you may get the same effect and even frequent acid refluxes. It is quite normal. Don't worry.
4. Fast Food
- Remove fast food. I mean it. It sucks.
- Replace it with homemade sandwich with turkey, ham, lettuce, tomato, and cheese between two slices of whole grain bread and season it to your liking. Make enough of these and bring them with you wherever you go.
- Eat only one and when really hungry. Let 20 minutes pass, and decide if you need another.
- Drink herbal teas such as mint or St. John's Wort (rinse your mouth with warm tea after meals). They are excellent for every day.
This sandwich has everything you need: carbs, proteins, and fat. It also contains dozens of vitamins and enough fiber to make your digestive system happy.
Let's admit it. We are cubicle slaves. A normal human needs to be on foot 8 hours every day. Our stomach also works better when we are not bent, sitting or laying.
Meteorism, gurgling, burping, constipation . . . here's how you can prevent this:
- If your work needs you to stay in the office, you need to stretch and walk every 35-40 minutes.
- Go get a fax or a print in the farthest office machine.
- Walk to a colleague for a quick talk about a task instead of mailing or Skyping.
- Go to a gym or a pool twice a week at least and try to get in a good hour of exercise.
- Park your car (get off from the transportation) tw blocks away and walk to the office.
- Stop using the elevator.
I promise you, you will feel the difference in two weeks.
6. Teeth and Mouth Hygiene
More bacteria in the mouth means more bacteria in the intestines. Rotten teeth = gastritis.
- Proper brushing is crucial, for one.
- Your bite may also need to be straightened by a dentist or you may need to chew a bit more before swallowing the food. (The Golden Rule: One chew for every tooth, which is around 36)
They are everywhere. When a parasite enters your system, the first place is goes is the stomach.
- Wash your hands every time you are about to eat.
- Wash them after you visited the bathroom.
- Wash after you worked with your keyboard.
- Clean everything you are about to put in your mouth.
Being sick and drinking antibiotics literally kills all the stomach micro flora, and some of the bacteria in the stomach actually helps you with digestion.
You will be amazed with how many small helpers live in peaceful coexistence inside you. Even a harmless E. Coli lives inside you. All the time.
- Never take a pill that you don't really need.
- If the damage is already done, have a course with probiotics. They are good even for healthy people.
- The best and most affordable probiotic is yogurt.
9. Your Diet
- Diet smart. Very often, a new fad diet deprives you of carbs or fats or proteins. Some are even more restrictive (only fat or only proteins or only carbs).
- Your diet needs to be prescribed by a professional dietitian and followed for only as long as he tells you to diet.
- If the diet is bad for your stomach and you feel heavy and tired, you better stop it and speak with a gastroenterologist about the condition.
Not every diet works on all people. We are all different.
The best diet is the one that leaves you still-a-bit-hungry when you finish your meal, but 20 minutes later you are quite well and feel a stream of energy from the food instead of that feeling of sloth, just hanging-there-and-willing-to-do-nothing.
If your meals make you sleepy, then they are not for you.
10. Rapid Weight Loss
... Is unhealthy by all means.
Why do you need to shed 20 pounds in one month? What stopped you shedding five pounds every month this last winter? Excuses!
Weight loss of 6-8 pounds per month is the only good and healthy diet plan. More can be done only with surgery or starvation, and this is far from healthy. Your body will complain instead to conform with you.
A glass of wine is okay. A bottle is not.
- If you are heavy drinker, try to quit or limit the drinks.
Digestive enzymes and stomach micro flora are destroyed by excess drinks.
It is really up to you.
12. Laxatives and Purgatives.
Use only natural ones and remember that your intestines will still gurgle like a water fall. But this is what they are supposed to do in this case.
- Fig fruits.
- Plum fruits.
- Also, if your system can take it: senna fruits and leaves. They are a very potent purgative, so use with care.
Enough said. If you know more ways to relieve upset intestines and stomach, please feel free to comment.
Don't remember who said it, but: "Truth is born in the arguments" ;)