- Quality of Life & Wellness»
- Personal Development
Suicide Prevention: 200 Reasons to Live
200 Reasons to be Happy
It is now over a year ago that I lost my best friend to suicide. I understand why she made the choice that she did, but I also know that had she stayed that everything would have been okay for her.
Sometimes when we are hurting we forget how truly wonderful life is and how special life's little blessings are. It can be very difficult to see past the pain.
When times are trying on the heart and soul we just have to be patient and allow the passing of time to weave its magic healing spell. Time really can heal all wounds.
These are 200 reasons to be happy, 200 reasons to treasure your life, and 200 reasons to choose to live.
1. The warm feeling of sunshine on a sunny day.
2. Seeing a rainbow after a summer rain.
3. Waking up early enough to catch the view of a beautiful sunrise.
4. Watching the sun set at night.
5. Finding the first star to appear at night so you can make a wish on it.
6. Saying out loud the little poem that makes all wishes possible.Star light, star brightFirst star I see tonight,I wish I may,I wish I might,Have the wish I wish tonight.
7. Sitting outside after dark and watching the stars spin by overhead. I was quite surprised the first time that I saw that they did and then I realized that it was us moving and not them.
8. Making a wish on a falling star.
9. Looking up at the moon in the dark of night.
Photo taken outside my back door.
10. Seeing the moon reflected on a lake
11. Having a campfire.
12. Roasting a hotdog over a campfire.
13. Toasting marshmallows over a campfire.
14. Staying up late and telling spooky stories.
15. Sleeping in late.
16. Running into a friend you have not seen for a very long time.
17. Slipping a twenty dollar bill into a friend's coat pocket, so they will discover it at a later date, and have a really super great day.
18. Singing just because you can.
If you enjoy singing then when you do it you probably release those wonderful little feel good endorphins that your body produces to make you feel happy.So you see there is a logical reason why singing can make you feel happy. Singing is also great exercise for your lungs.
19. Dancing just because you can.
Do you ever just crank up your favorite songs and dance around the living room all by yourself. I do and it is wonderful. I can do the rumba, I can belly dance, I can polka, or just wiggle my tush like an old witch trying to cast some weird sort of magic spell.
It is my favorite music playing and there isn't anyone here to judge my performance so any moves that I want to make are okay.
I love to dance just because I can. Try it sometime. Just turn on your favorite music and waltz, boogie, shimmy, or jive around your house. Sing at the top of your lungs. Have fun.
20. Seeing a little baby smile.
My beautiful granddaughter.
There are so very many wonderful little experiences in life that bring us enjoyment.
21. Being able to watch your favorite television show.
22. Being able to listen to your favorite music.
23. Being able to play on the internet. I love that.
24. Going to the movies.
25. Being able to go to a concert that you really want to see.
26. Getting a gift card or cash as a gift. Yahoo and heading off to the mall to spend it.
27. Going to the humane society and playing with the cats.
28. Visiting the humane society to take a dog for a walk.
29. Going to the park.
30. Stopping to pick wild flowers to make into a bouquet to set onto your kitchen table.
31. Watching a deer stop to smell the flowers. Well maybe she was going to eat a few but it was still pretty cool.
This is a deer who managed to get inside my deer proof fence. We discussed the issue and I managed to encourage her to leave.
32. Getting a present that is exactly what you wanted.
33. Seeing the Christmas lights that decorate the city.
34. Hiding a special present away that will be from Santa. Just knowing it is there makes me feel good.
35. Being in the mall at Christmas time and watching the people around you. I usually have a cup of coffee and sit at an open restaurant just so I can watch the expressions of people who are shopping there. Kids are so cute at this time of year, having tantrums cause it is loud and noisy, and parents are always threatening them that Santa won't come if they don't behave. I bet that line has been used for practically forever.
36. Sitting and watching the Christmas tree blink.
37. Finding the perfect present for someone else.
38. Watching Santa online as he flies around the world on Christmas eve.
39. Going online on Christmas day. I love that.
40. Having someone tell you that they love you.
It feels so good to know that somebody really does care. People really do need to learn to say I love you more often.We all need to hear it. Those magic 3 words are wonderful. They make the world such a nicer place to play. Please say it to the people that you love as often as you can.
41. Saying I love you to someone.
42. Getting chocolates on Valentine's day.
43. Holding hands with a friend.
44. Giving a friend a hug and them hugging you back.
45. A first date.
46. A first kiss.
47. Falling in love.
48. Your wedding day.
49. When you can't sleep watching your spouse sleep.
50. Saying a prayer before you go to sleep at night.
51. Watching a child say their prayers.
52. Hiding Easter eggs for someone to find.
53. Finding the perfect Halloween costume.
When you find the perfect costume and you know that absolutely nobody else is going to believe what you came as. Silly, sexy, comical, or as a political statement it just feels unbelievably good to know that your costume rocks.
54. The taste of that first glorious sip of coffee.
The first thing that I do in the morning is put a pot of coffee on to brew. The smell of it brewing is tantalizing and the first sip is pure heaven.
I feel like I should dive in and swim around in the cup. Do backflips, turns, and spins. I just love that first cup so very much.
My sister tipped me off to the fact that Maxwell House's dark roast coffee is delicious and I have certainly been enjoying its flavor since. Every sip reminds me of the old perked coffee my parents used to make.
My dad had a little coffee pot that he would scoop coffee into each morning. After the pot boiled 3 times his coffee was ready, and usually pretty chewy with coffee grounds, but he liked the rich dark taste of this brew.
My sister bought my parents an automatic drip coffee maker some years back but he refused to use it. Said it didn't taste like real coffee.
He is gone now but I still see him sometimes when I drink my morning coffee. He is there enjoying his as well.
55. Homemade cookies.
How can anyone not be happy when they have cookies with a cup of tea or a glass of ice cold milk. Picture is of my home baked Hermit cookies and they are so good.
56. Planting a seed and watching it grow.
57. Planting a tree.
58. Going back years later and seeing that same tree still growing.
59. Being the only one to know that you planted it.
60. Going outside and dancing just because you can.
61. Standing outside in the rain just because you want to.
62. Laying in bed listening to the rain fall outside.
63. Singing as loudly as you can.
64. Putting up a bird feeder.
65. Watching and listening to the birds that visit.
66. Watching a squirrel steal your bird seed.
67. Seeing sunflowers bloom where you planted them. Time has a wonderful way of erasing hurts, resolving the impossible, and offering up unimaginable pleasures.
68. Going to the lake.
Photo courtesy and copyright of Barb Mazur.
72. Catching a fish.
74. Getting some great nature photographs.
75. Seeing a bear and living to tell about it.
76. Sleeping in a real bed once you get back home again.
77. Posting your photos on Facebook and reading the comments.
78. Telling bear tales.
79. Enjoying a nice warm bubble bath.
80. Going to the spa for a pedicure.
81. Getting a hair cut and feeling all brand new.
82. Finding the coolest stone that you have ever seen.
My sister and I used to pick agates by the road and dream about selling them for hundreds of dollars. We never sold them but we sure had a lot of fun collecting them and comparing the ones that we found against each others.
83. Finding a fossil.
84. Finding a 4 leaf clover
85. Finding the owner of a lost dog.
86. Finding something that you had thought you lost.
87. Finding money.
88. Discovering your paycheck is bigger than you thought it would be.
89. Laughing over something completely silly.
91. Learning yoga moves. Practicing them. Relaxing as you have never relaxed before.
92. Going thrift store shopping and finding a treasure.
93. Getting a really great bargain at the store.
94. Losing your heart when you least expect to.
95. Watching a butterfly flutter by.
Photo Courtesy http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Butterfly.w...
There are a lot of little things that make life wonderful.
96. Acing a test.
97. Acing a job interview.
98. Getting the job you were interviewed for.
99. Getting a raise.
100. Getting a promotion.
101. Getting a better job offer.
102. Vacation time.
103. Enjoying a paid national holiday.
104. Winning the lottery.
105. Helping someone less fortunate out.
106. Holding your new baby in your arms.
107. Being a mentor to your child.
108. Being a friend to someone who needs one.
109. Eating a cold ice cream cone on a hot summer day.
110. Going for a nice long walk.
111. Working out and feeling great after it.
112. Getting a new car. It smells so good.
113. Doing some home baking and eating as much as you want.
114. Snuggling up in bed with a good book.
115. Munching on frozen grapes.
116. Crafting something with your own hands.
117. Giving away the item you made.
118. Finding a lucky penny and tucking it into your shoe.
That is my mom smack dab in the middle of the photo.
120. Connecting with an old friend on facebook.
121. Watching snowflakes fall in the winter.
122. Going tobogganing in the winter.
123. Going skiing.
124. Drinking hot chocolate when it is cold outside.
125. Being able to throw a penny into a wishing well.
126. Sipping a glass of wine with a friend.
127. Petting a furry friend on the head.
128. Catching snowflakes on your tongue.
129. Having a snowball fight.
130. Helping someone push their car out when it is stuck.
131. Having a candlelight dinner.
132. Watching how the sun glistens on the snow. It looks just like a sparkly Christmas card.
133. Making snow angels in the new fallen snow.
134. Being thankful that you didn't break anything when you wiped out.
Photo courtesy and copyright Barb Mazur.
135. Listening to the crows caw.
136. Talking to the crows and them actually listening to you.
137. Seeing a pair of crows kiss.
138. Walking down the street with a pocket full of dog treats to pass along to each one that you meet.
139. Watching kids play at the park.
140. Spotting two seniors very much in love.
150. Getting to travel somewhere that you have never been before.
151. Getting super great service at a business.
152. Getting to dine out.
153. Watching the ducks at the lake.
154. Feeding the ducks grain that you just bought at the local feed store.
155. Playing a round of golf.
156. Moving into your very own home sweet home.
This is my sister Nancy enjoying an afternoon coffee.
157. Having someone tell you that you are beautiful.
Be your own style of beautiful. We are all different yet beautiful in our own special way. Let your beauty shine from your heart. Let it shine in your eyes.
158. Writing in your journal.
159. Having a lottery ticket in your wallet.
160. Getting an inheritance.
161. Finally paying off a nasty bill.
162. Waking up from a really great dream.
163. Taking a course in something that you love.
164. Having lunch with a friend.
165. Enjoying an ice cold beer.
166. Watching the news.
167. Discussing the news.
168. Going to a family reunion picnic.
This is a batch of my wild and silly relatives.
169. Going through old family photographs.
169. Learning how to skip rocks.
170. Learning to play an instrument.
171. Buying something foolish just because you want to.
172. Eating cinnamon hearts.
173. Getting over a cold and feeling better again.
174. Going to garage sales.
175. Touring a heritage site.
176. Going hiking.
177. Going to the zoo.
178. Touring a museum.
179. Doing up your family tree and discovering some very juicy gossip in there.More of my relatives. Can you tell that I come from good old hillbilly stock?
180. Chocolate cake.
This is the black forest cake my sister purchased as my wedding cake. Yummy.
181. Going to a car show.
182. Discovering you can fit that pair of jeans that you did not fit last summer.
183. Having a nice warm cup of tea at someones house.
184. Watching a horror show and then being scared for half the night.
185. Getting a bad case of the giggles.
186. Laughing so hard that you wet yourself.
187. Winning on a scratch lottery ticket.
188. Writing on a helium balloon and sending your thoughts floating up to the sky.
189. Watching a train go by.
190. Blowing dandelion seed into the air.
191. Watching the fish swim at the pet store.
192. Getting home from work after a very long day.
Love of my life, my rock, my sweetie, my husband.
193. Smiling at someone and seeing them smile back.
194. Laughing at a funny joke, comment, or movie.
195. Hearing someone say thank you.
196. Writing a novel.
197. Getting an award.
198. Finding out that someone admires you.
199. Getting an all clear diagnosis from your doctor.
200. Discovering that you have more friends than you thought you did.
What are the things that make you happy? Find 100 reasons for you to write out.
I hope that you are visiting this page simply because you stumbled onto it. But if you are here because you are looking for a reason to continue living then I pray that you will take the time to reconsider the decision you are contemplating. There are a million reasons not to commit suicide but naming them all would take a very long time.
Please talk to a friend, call a relative, or call your community help line. Their number will be in the phone book. Please talk to someone