- Oral Health
5 Back To School Dental Tips
5 Back To School Dental Care Tips
The following dental tips can help parents keep their children's teeth strong and healthy throughout the school year:
1. Parents should first schedule a visit for a oral cleaning and dental check-up for your child or children before they return back to school. This way the child will not have to miss any class time.
2. Buy several toothbrushes when shopping for school supplies to have on hand to change to a new one. Which is every three months, after an illness or when the bristles of the toothbrush are worn.
3. Go over proper tooth brushing and flossing with your child to reinforce them to have good oral health cleaning habits at home.
4. Parents should be advised to pack healthy lunches and snacks, including grains, milk, cheese, raw vegetables, yogurt or fruit. Cut back on sugary foods and soft drinks. If their child eats in the school cafeteria, review what healthy, balanced food choices are with their child before the first day of school.
5. Parents should be reminded to protect their children's mouth by making sure that her or she are wearing a properly fitted mouth guard while participating in organized sports, and even P.E. classes or play ground activities.