5 Bitter Foods That You Better Eat for Good Health and Immunity
Bitter But Healthy Foods, because, "Bitter Is Better!"
© Chitrangada Sharan June 2014,
All Rights Reserved,
- Who likes to eat bitter food items!
I don't think anyone. Most of us either love sweet food or salted or spicy food.
When my kids were younger, it was a tough task to feed them something healthy, but not sweet enough. And they used to ask me, why good and healthy food has to taste so terrible and bitter.
- Here I am going to talk about some bitter foods, which are so essential to eat for the general health of our internal organs.
Doctors and Nutritionists, in fact feel that the deficiency of bitter foods in our food habits today, is to a great extent responsible for growing diseases among humans.
How to make Bitter gourd or Karela Juice source: You tube
Bitter Gourd or Karela!
Something which can be so bitter, but extremely beneficial---Bitter Gourd or Karela, is the best example for that.
It can be eaten as a veggie but there are some specific ailments, for which it is used as a home remedy.
- Provides coolness,
- Good for digestion/Improves digestion,
- Purifies blood,
- Very effective in urine related diseases,
- Eliminates worms,
- It helps to keep the sugar level under control for Diabetics,
- The raw juice of bitter gourd or Karela, is very effective in the treatment for Acne/ Pimples, as it has the property of purifying the blood.
- Regular consumption helps in eliminating smaller stones through urine.
Note: Please read Nellieanna's comment below, to know more about Bitter Gourd!
Health benefits of fenugreek seeds (methi) , Source: YouTube
Fenugreek Seeds or Methi!
Methi or Fenugreek is bitter but a healthy food. Its fresh leaves are also eaten as veggies or in paranthas in India. But the seeds are available throughout the year and is an important part of Indian cooking and spices.
You can take it either raw, or roast it and powder it.
- Cures Constipation,
- Effective in treating acidity or heartburn,
- Very beneficial to women in the post natal period. Helps to shrink back the Uterus and eliminates all the impure blood,
- Methi is considered very effective for lactating mothers, as it increases the milk produce,
- Helps to regulate bile, cough and gases and the disease related to them,
- Helpful in providing relief to joint pains and Arthritis,
- Helps in reducing bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol,
- Good for treating thinning of hair and dandruff.
Amazing benefits of Neem leaves, Source:YouTube
Neem or the Indian Lilac!
- Neem tree is found in most of the Asian countries. Almost all parts of this tree is used for medicinal purposes. Neem tree has loads of properties, not only to provide good health but also prevention from diseases.
- Neem is anti fungal, anti bacterial, anti diabetic and anti inflammatory. Its seeds, flowers, leaves and the tender stems all are used for medicinal purposes. Since it is found in abundance, it is very inexpensive even for the poor people.
- The tender apex leaves are boiled and administered to the patient having ordinary fever or even malarial fever.
- Neem tablets and syrups are available in Ayurvedic shops.
- Neem leaves are boiled in water and then mixed in buckets. The same water is used to take bath for skin related diseases, such as chicken pox.
- Neem leaves are chewed first thing in the morning by patients of Diabetes, to keep their blood sugar level under control,
- In addition it works wonders for your teeth and gums and fights and cures diseases related to them,
- Neem tablets are very effective in treating constipation and joint pains,
- Neem oil is beneficial in providing relief to gout patients.
Health benefits of Turmeric, source: YouTube
Turmeric or Haldi!
- Haldi or Turmeric is a common ingredient in most of Indian cuisine. Its powder is used in making veggies and daal or pulses.
- Besides the common turmeric used in cooking, there are 3 other types of turmerics, used only for medicinal purposes, namely---Kapoor haldi, vana haldi and daaru haldi.
- Haldi or turmeric can be consumed in powder form or by mixing in water.
Benefits and properties:
- Turmeric or Haldi is loaded with nutrients such as protein, vitamins, calcium, potassium, sodium, fiber and minerals like Iron, zinc, copper, magnesium etc.
- Turmeric is excellent for skin care. In India there is a tradition of applying Turmeric or Haldi paste to the bride to be, because it brings a definite glow to her face and keeps the skin free from spots and blemishes.
- One teaspoonful of turmeric powder in a glass of warm milk, cures cough and sore throat.
- Turmeric or Haldi powder, if taken regularly in food, keeps your immune system strong.
- It also helps to fight many diseases related to skin, bile, cold and cough, urine or urinary tract related diseases.
- It purifies blood, heals wounds and cures pains due to its anti inflammatory properties.
- It helps to cure wounds faster if applied on the affected part as a paste and also helps to clot blood faster.
Benefits of Saffron, source: YouTube
Saffron or Kesar!
One of the world's best Saffron or Kesar is cultivated in Kashmir, India. Good quality Saffron is of dark orange color and they must be preserved in cool place, preferably in refrigerators. Otherwise they loose all their goodness.
- Saffron or Kesar has such components and properties, which make it antiseptic, an antioxidant, anti depressant and digestive.
- It contains the major Vitamins and minerals, which helps to cleanse and detoxify the internal organs.
- It is very effective in regulating heart rate and blood pressure.
- It is considered a boon for digestion related problems, such as acidity and heartburn.
- It purifies blood and prevents clots.
- Saffron is taken in a little amount only, almost a pinch. It should be soaked in 1 tablespoon milk or water, before consuming it.
- It is popularly used in sweets or Pulav or Biryani and only a little amount should be used.
Which of these bitter food you prefer to include in your daily diet?
Bitter Is Sometimes Better! To Sum up:
According to Ayurveda, there are six types of tastes, namely--sweet, sour, bitter, pungent, spicy and astringent. And it is good to include all these tastes in our daily diet, according to our body type.
1. Bitter foods are responsible for cleansing our internal organs.
2. Bitter food is anti bacterial, anti viral, anti inflammatory and anti toxic.
3. Bitter food reduces itchiness of the skin and cures cold and cough.
4. It improves bone health and reduces fat.
5. Is excellent for digestion and issues related to acidity and constipation.
Therefore make a point to include some bitter taste in your daily diet, for natural cleansing of your whole system.
© Chitrangada Sharan 25th June, 2014
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
“To a hungry person, every bitter food is sweet. When the preferable is not available, the available becomes preferable!”
― Israelmore Ayivor
© 2014 Chitrangada Sharan