5 Home Remedies for Constipation
What is Constipation?
Constipation is a condition where the regular bowel movement becomes difficult because of hard stools. A person who suffers from constipation may often experience the process painful and requires to put in more stressful efforts to empty his bowel. It can cause serious problems like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
Home Remedies for Constipation
There are several known easy home remedies to get rid of constipation. At least some of them might be useful to you, if not all. Let us check out five of them.
Drink plenty of water on a regular basis to relieve your bowels easily. As soon as you wake up in the morning, before or after brushing your teeth, drink at least half to 1 lt water, preferably stored in copper jar or warm lime water. Apart from this, drink 1-2 glasses of water after half an hour of having your breakfast, lunch and dinner whether you are tempted to drink water or not. Water washes away the toxin from your body and eases bowel movements easy.
2. Eat fiber-rich Food
Eating fiber-rich food makes the stools become soft which make the bowels work promptly and without strain. So the vegetables, fruits and nuts which contain fibers should be included in the food on a regular basis and junk food should be excluded, as far as possible. If you are a person prone to get constipation should take extra care to include the fiber in your food.
3. Eat Fruits
Regular fruits like banana, papaya, grapes, orange, prunes, figs and mango are some of the best fruits that help to soften the stools and the bowels movement effortlessly.
4. Regular Exercise
Exercise for about 30 minutes should be made as a part of your life style. Every one cannot go to a gym for exercise, but every normal person can find some time for walking either as a separate exercise or to their working place.
5. Aloe vera juice
Taking aloe vera juice twice a day (1/4 cup) is another method to get rid of constipation. If aloe vera plant is at home it becomes easy.
For some people, drinking coffee is found to be effective in stimulating their bowel and thus getting a relief from constipation.
Adding flax seeds in food regularly is also very effective to prevent constipation.
Two ayurveda treatments for constipation
1. Triphala powder - If you don't mind of tolerating some bitterness Triphala powder is a best remedy to relieve your constipation. Before going to bed in the night, mix one spoon of triphala powder in warm water and drink it, and should not take anything after that. The effect of Triphala powder can be seen next morning. If you are unable to tolerate the bitterness you can take 1 tsp of honey with it. This was a practice followed in our home when we had an occasional constipation problem.
2. Castor Oil - Taking one spoonful of castor oil on an empty stomach works like a magic after 8-10 hours.
I remember either Triphala powder or Castor oil was always readily available at home in my childhood days for immediate use. .
Home Remedies for Constipation
Yoga to get rid of Constipation
What are the Causes of Constipation?
There are several causes of constipation. Some of the important ones are -
1. Poor Diet - It depends upon the food you take. The intestine requires smooth stools to bring it out. Without sufficient fiber content in the food it is difficult for the intestine to work hard to produce soft stools. For this purpose, we need to take food which contains sufficient fiber.
2. Lack of sufficient fluid - If there is no sufficient amount of fluid in our stomach for its smooth function the intestine has to work really hard to push the waste in the body. Hence we have to drink adequate amount of water in various forms.
3. Medical conditions - Certain medical conditions such as thyroid and diabetes also contribute to the formation of constipation.
4. Caffeine and Alcohol - They dehydrate the body which in turn contributes towards constipation.
5. Lack of exercise - If our body doesn't get adequate movement by way of walking, yoga or some mild exercises for some people they may develop constipation. So you have to find time to do some exercises.
6. Stress - For some people, stress can create constipation, and in some other people it can create diarrhoea. It differs from person to person.
Foods That Can Cause Constipation
Vegetables and Fruits that are help to prevent constipation
What are the Medications that cause Constipation?
There are many medications that cause constipation.
- Iron tablets
- Certain painkillers
- Certain antacids
- Anti-convulsant drugs
So the people who are taking any of these medications should be more careful to include the proper diet as a part of their life style so that they can easily avoid constipation.
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies.