- Diet & Weight Loss
What is Intermittent Fasting and Why You Should Try It Tomorrow
Intermittent fasting is not a new revolutionary thing, although it does deserve attention in the weight loss community. With IF you go anywhere from 12 to 16 hours without eating, which can be hard for most people used to 3 standard meals a day. You will start the fast the night before after dinner and that’s when the clock starts. I typically break my fast around 2 or 3 pm. It was very hard to adjust at first but after the first week, it felt natural.
I make a pot of coffee and drink it throughout the fast. I don’t add anything to my coffee except for a tsp. of Gelatin. The only reason I do this is because I workout during the fast. Fasted weight training can be taxing on the body so it is good to have trace amounts of amino acids in your system, and gelatin provides that with very low if any calories so it won’t affect your fasting.
Gelatin Helps with Appetite Control
Gelatin is a great addition to any diet. Add it to any hot beverage for additional proteins throughout the day. Use Gelatin as an easy to way get more protein in your diet.
Once 2 or 3 pm arrives, depending on how hungry I am, I will feast on lean meats, veggies, and 2 tbsp. of MCT Oil to add good fats to the meal. This should be my biggest meal as far as calories go for the day. I always aim for about 800 calories on this meal and about 100g of protein. It usually takes me about 30 minutes to eat, protein is chewy LOL. I wash it all down with green tea with lemon I make myself from tea bags. I also add Gelatin to this drink as well. Then I wait 2 hours for my next meal, which is very similar to the first. Then the last meal for me is always a meal replacement shake.
MCT Oil is a Great Source of Fat
MCT oil is a great addition to any coffee or tea to add good fats, to aid digestion, and to help stabilize blood sugar levels.
Once the last meal is done, the clock starts and I wait 12 to 16 hours to eat again. It is easy and it saves me money on left-overs because when I finally eat, I EAT A LOT!
Fasting helps you to make good choices and plan for those big meals ahead of time without the trouble of having to meal prep everything. Some people just don’t have to time to cook for 2 hours a day and wash Tupperware that often. With IF I have managed to lose 5 lbs. but gain inches to my shoulders and chest. It is mainly a way to maintain your body and slowly recompose the way it looks.
However, if used properly, you can lose weight very quickly this way. It also helps with regulating your hormones for the majority of the day. This can be very beneficial to those who are stress eaters or binge eaters.
5 Great Reasons to Try Intermittent Fasting
- Easy meal planning - Eating solid meals twice a day makes it so much easier to stay on track.
- Eat more of the foods you love – since you are in a caloric deficit most of the day, you can squeeze those great tasting foods in moderation that may not be super healthy. I like to have pizza, pasta and even fried chicken some nights.
- Fasted workouts are awesome – working out in a fasted state is very beneficial to the body, your hormones, and mind. It is not easy and you grow stronger mentally and physically. It also assists with fat burning for the rest of the day depending on how intense the workout is.
- It is easier to stick to – no more meal prepping or having to say no to the foods you love. If you want to go out to eat you can. This plan helps you to be social while still being consistent with your nutrition.
- It teaches you self-control – you will create a stronger version of yourself on this plan. If you can go 12 to 16 hours without eating you will develop a very strong will and be more likely to reach your nutrition and fitness goals.