- Mental Health
5 Simple Steps To Overcoming Hypochondria (Health Anxiety)
What is it?
Hypochondria (health anxiety) is a form of chronic psychological stress that millions of people around the world suffer from on a daily basis. As someone who has lived through this, I wish to share some steps with you that were invaluable to me in overcoming my own chronic health fears and internal stress.
1. Allow yourself to feel these feelings - The first step in overcoming such an issue in one's life, is to first accept the way you are feeling. Many people with hypochondria tend to be very anxious of the fact that they have health fears!... Yes, the psychosomatic nature of this condition truly knows no bounds! It is important that you consciously accept the way you are feeling, rather than unconsciously fighting against it, which only creates further internal stress and conflict. However, when you allow yourself to feel your feelings, you release resistance and open to the healing process.
2. Surrender to uncertainty - We ALL have to live with degrees of uncertainty in our lives. One of the core roots of hypochondria is the fear of death, which is something that every human being must confront at some point in their lifetime. For myself, hypochondria was one of the many 'fast tracks' to this confrontation that I chose to ride along, and what an intense and frightening ride it was! However, I have found that when you begin to surrender to the uncertainty of life, you free yourself from the chains of fear, and instead, begin to embrace your Divine awareness.
3. Stop Googling your 'symptoms'! - This is by far one of the most notorious habits of someone suffering with hypochondria. I know first hand what this is like, and to call it 'addictive' would be a total understatement! However, freeing yourself of this habit is one of the keys to success... Why? Because it helps to neutralise the pattern that one has ingrained in their consciousness over many years in their life. This is the pattern of seeking reassurance or validation outside of oneself. There is a big lesson to be learned here, and one that will become clearer to you as you begin transmuting such habits. This leads nicely on to my fourth step...
4. Trust your own judgement - Although this is one of the fundamental challenges for someone dealing with hypochondria, it is something that can be very effectively addressed through gradual steps. In your day to day life, for example, when doing certain individually assigned tasks at work, just become conscious of when you ask other people for their opinion or advice on whatever it is you are doing. As you develop more self-awareness of this, begin to make small-scale decisions based purely on your own judgement. At first, this can seem very daunting, but you will be surprised how powerful your intuition really is! Understand that even if you do make a 'mistake'... That's OK! Everyone makes mistakes! How would we truly learn anything without making them?
5. Go for a walk in nature - It's one of the simplest tools, but one that can absolutely transform your day from one of doom and gloom to one of optimism and self-empowerment! Get those legs moving, get those lungs breathing that clean fresh air, and get out in nature... I assure you it will help to purify your body, mind and spirit of any negative energies. Become conscious of what is around you. Pay careful attention to nature - She can teach you many wonderful things about her laws and the bliss it will bring to your life by living in accordance with them. The key here is to listen with your heart, rather than your ears.
So there you have it... Five simple steps that have helped me to transform my perception of my health and overall life in general! I hope that you find benefit in applying these to your own life, and remember, it's not how quickly you are able to transform. Rather, it's the patience and kindness you have with yourself for making an effort to positively change your life, one step at a time!
Peace of mind to you!