50 Fun Facts about Pizza
HISTORICAL PIZZA FACTS | What did Ancient Pizzas Taste Like?
- The word “Pizza” was first documented in the Italian city of Gaeta in 997 AD.
- The ancestors of modern-day pizzas were simple flat breads, known as foccasia in Italy that were sprinkled with different toppings.
- Foods similar to pizza can be traced back to the New Stone Age Period.
- Early pizzas were often sweet dishes, not savoury!
- Many historical records show that people have been adding different ingredients to bread to make it more appetizing.
- Most would never guess it, but pizza originally started off as a dish for poor people, sold in the streets and not a food for upper class people.
- It was in the 18th century that the poor around the area of Naples got accustomed to adding tomatoes to their yeast-based flat bread, and that’s how the modern pizza began!
- Today’s pizzas are characterized by a soft flatbread base, tomatoes and cheese.
- Pizza was introduced to the United States with the arrival of Italian immigrants in the 19th century.
- The first pizzeria in the United States was opened by Vincent Bruno in Chicago, in the year 1903.
Vote for your favourite Pizza!
What's your favourite pizza topping?
SO CALORIFIC! Pizza Health Facts
- Is pizza healthy at all? The ratio of refined bread, sugar, cheese and other fat to the vegetable toppings in pizza is often skewed, making the overall pizza an unhealthy food choice.
- The average 14 inch pizza contains 25% protein per slice.
- The above pizza would contain 15% fats and fatty acid and 7% cholesterol.
- Would you consider pizza for breakfast? 36% of Americans think pizza would be perfect breakfast.
- Is your pizza making you sick? Junk food is named as the major culprit in many ailments including obesity, constipation and even acne. Now you know where the term “Pizza Face” comes from.
- In 1970 the average slice of pizza had 500 calories and now it's up to 850 calories!
- 62% of pizza toppings ordered in the US are meat toppings.
- How often do you eat pizza? 94% of Americans eat pizza regularly.
- What would be considered a healthy pizza? One that has less cheese, less sodium and healthier toppings.
- Pizza is often classified as junk food, but it doesn’t have to be! In fact, a healthy pizza can be a balanced meal itself with carbs, proteins, fibers and more. You can even try homemade pizza with a whole wheat base and fresh vegetable toppings.
How many restaurants does Pizza Hut have in the US? More than 6,000!
IT’S ALL ABOUT THE BUSINESS | Follow the Pizza Money, Baby
- Pizza Hut has 12,583 stores in over 90 countries.
- How many pizzerias in the US? 61,269.
- Domino's Pizza is the world leader in delivery
- In 2012, Pizza Hut We generated $1.6 billion in net income and almost $2.3 billion in cash from operations.
- Experts predict that Domino's Pizza may soon overtake Pizza Hut!
- Guess how many pizzas are sold in the US per year? 3 billion!
- Guess how many pizzas are sold worldwide per year? 5 billion.
- After Pizza Hut and Domino’s, the third largest pizza chain in the US is Papa John’s Pizza
- There's heavy rivalry in the pizza world, especially between Pizza Hut and Papa John's.
- Pizza Hut sued Papa John’s for claiming to have better pizza than Pizza Hut in 1998 but the case was put down in 2004, with the US Supreme Court rejecting Pizza Hut’s appeal.
What are some of the craziest pizzas you've heard of?
Peanut butter & Jelly pizza? Cornflakes pizza? Shellfish pizza? Honey Boo Boo Child Pizza? Or perhaps it's pizza smoothies (for when you're in a rush and don't have the time to sit down and eat the darn pizza)
STATS, DATES & OTHER FACTS | For the Real Pizza Lovers
- The most popular pizza topping is pepperoni.
- One of the most popular pizza topping in Japan is Squid.
- Approximately 251,770,000 pounds of pepperoni pizzas are consumed every year in the US alone.
- Ever heard of fruit pizza? It’s a sweeter and healthier version of regular pizza and it has delicious fruit toppings.
- In the U.S., there are about 350 slices of pizza eaten each second.
- Each person eats an average of 46 slices of pizza every year.
- Don’t miss National Pizza Month – every October!
- Calling out all pizza lovers! Don’t miss the Annual International Pizza Expo 2014 – in Las Vegas, Nevada
- The first Domino’s Pizza opened in 1967, the first Pizza Hut in 1958 and the first Papa John’s in 1984.
10. 62% of all pizzas consumed have meat.
RECORD BREAKERS | Pizza in the Guinness World Records
- The world’s largest pizza: Made in Norwood Supermarket, South Africa, 1990. Weight: 12.9 tons!
- The most expensive pizza is sold at Gordon Ramsey's Maze restaurant, London, UK at £100 each.
- The largest pizza commercially available is 1 m 37 cm (4 ft 6 in) by 1 m 37 cm (4 ft 6 in), sold at the Big Mama's and Papa's Pizzeria, California, US. Serves 50 -100 people!
- The average pizza sold today is 14 inches in diameter.
- Largest pizza base ever spun was by Tony Gemignani, measuring 33.2 inches.
- Pizza is not always circular! It is also famously baked in Italy in rectangular trays.
- Highest number of pizzas eaten in 10 minutes was by Carlifornian Joey Chestnut – he ate a whopping 40 ½ slices of pizza! Admirable, or disgusting? You decide.
- World’s largest pizza box collection is 595 pizza boxes strong by Scott Wiener of Brooklyn (as of 2013).
- The largest pizza box is 54 inches square.
- The most expensive pizza ever created cost $2,745 and contained edible gold topping.