6 Empowering Thoughts to Uplift You Instantly in Your Darkest Hour
Let’s start this journey with a question. How does one up one’s health? Eating healthy food that provides all the right nutrients in the right proportion. Tick. Drinking plenty of water. Tick. Exercise. Tick. Getting adequate sleep and rest. Tick. Everything looking perfect.
Now let us add on one thought…..'Everything is unfair . It sucks’ or better still, ‘I am all alone. Nobody loves me’. Keep repeating this thought mentally for a few days. Check how you feel. Maybe not so good anymore. Now try telling yourself ‘I am so lucky. Everything always works out for me'. I can’t prove that everything will work for you but a lot of things will!! Chances are that your mood will be uplifted and you will feel much better. Really, do this experiment to see the power of the mind over the body. Let your personal experiment add to the tonnes of research on the mind-body connection.
What food is to the body, thoughts are to the mind. The mind is constantly feeding on thoughts - your own, your friend’s, your boss’s, your neighbor's, your favorite show, that news channel that is always on, the newspaper, social media…. whew. This is just a small list, by no means exhaustive. Some interesting observations about the mind…
- Unlimited storage space which means you remember a lot more than you give yourself credit for. Also, unless you have worked on your memory, you probably record a lot more junk simply because it is more interesting (similar to the body, you would say).
- Secondly, at least with the body, the hand acts as a mediator between the body and the food whereas in the case of the brain, thoughts can appear out of nowhere. So, tricky territory here.
- Just like a mighty banyan tree was once a teenie-weenie seed, your thoughts are like potent tiny seeds. They are also the wings which can release you into freedom.
"All That We Are Is The Result
Of What We Have Thought.
The Mind Is Everything
What We Think We Become."— Buddha
If physical immunity is a function of eating healthy, adequate exercise, and drinking enough good fluids, then mental immunity should be a function of good, healthy empowering thoughts.
Just the right time to remember the story told by the grandfather to the grandson about the two bulls. Both reside in each one of us - one is the Angel Bull and the other, the Demon Bull - says grandfather. The grandson is curious to know as to who wins. The grandfather’s reply is intriguing ‘The one you feed more.’
The Demon Bull has the easy job and its food comes easy. Anything negative which evokes emotions like worry, fear, anxiety, unhappiness, anger, irritation, hate, jealousy, greed will do.
The Good Bull feeds on all your positive, empowering, uplifting thoughts and emotions. So, we now have a responsibility of keeping it well fed at all times, so that even at the worst of times, it retains control.
Which bull are you feeding?
So, therefore, we call unto service these 6 statements that can serve as the most nourishing daily fodder for your Good Bull.
1. This too shall pass
Life is a rich tapestry of experiences, events, incidents. It is the biggest roller-coaster with twists and turns when you least expect it. Life doesn’t always pan out the way that we wish it to. There are days when the tunnels of darkness seem never to end. And the rays of the sun seem more fiction than reality. When the gnawing pain of your current experience – critical illness, painful breakup, job loss, financial worries- seem all too-consuming and the only reality, when you almost come to breaking point, that ‘this is the end of the world’ feeling then this thought can be your ‘life saver.’
Touch your heart at such times and remind yourself “THIS TOO SHALL PASS”.
But this thought is not just for the bad time. Tell it to yourself often in your good times as well, as it is even more important to retain good sense and remain grounded during the good times.
2. I am never alone. There is a Higher Force always watching my back
Call this Higher Power what you will – Cosmic Consciousness, God, Divine, Krishna, Jesus, Allah but exist it does. Once upon a time you were just an egg and look at you now. A baby grows the most in its first year and you definitely didn’t orchestrate that. Plant a seed in your garden or a pot if that is all you have and experience the miracle of life unfolding. Nothing is more beautiful or magical!!! Now extrapolate it to you and think of your own miraculous journey from egg to the present.
Be open to the signs and whispers this force sends out to you through an accidental friend you meet who has just the thing you need, that family member who reached out to you just when you wanted to vent, the accidental lecture that you listened to that had just the solution you needed, that beautiful bloom which filled you with some strange beautiful energy the whole day.
3. I am the Super Hero, of my own life
We all love to watch action movies with larger-than-life heroes. They meet with the worst and most dangerous of situations and always, always come out on top. That’s why we love them so much. And yet when it comes to our own life, we are so halfhearted. We let fears, worries, anxieties take over. No more. From this moment on, choose to be ‘The Hero of your own life, the very best” Go through all the ups and downs in your life as if it be the biggest adventure. Make it special, different, unique and worth your time and energy.
4. I am so so Grateful
There is enough and more research and books on ‘The Attitude of Gratitude’. There must be something to it for it to have worked for so many millions. But like the proof is in the pudding, make it a part of your life and experience it for yourself. Start with the Hero- Yourself.
- Thank each part of your body for all the functions it does involuntarily 24/7
- Thank your family
- Thank your friends
- Thank the sun and the moon and stars and all the elements of Nature
As you progress on this journey, you will notice more and more things to be grateful for ….even something like the sunshine falling inside your living room and brightening your day.
5. I am lucky. Everything happens at just the right time for me in the best possible way
This is one thought that feels very good for some and totally fake for others. That is why the gratefulness thought has to precede it. Once you start feeling grateful for all the beautiful things happening in your life, no matter how small and simple they may be, the stage gets set for this thought.
6.There is enough in the Universe for everybody and there is a beautiful space meant just for me
Often, life seems like a race. When thoughts of competition, scarcity, insecurity takeover, this one thought can simply dissolve them with ease.
- Call it Affirmation. Call it Statement. Call it ‘Thought Games’. Call it what you will but practice it on a daily basis every day. Repeat it to yourself five times first thing in the morning and last thing at night till it becomes a part of your system. Anything practiced at these times of the day finds its way into your subconscious easily.
- Be open to life. Life will throw the right thought seeds. You will come across just what you need when you need it. Just like your social media feed throws up content based on your interest and history.
- Link one daily routine activity with each of these statements... so that it becomes default mode. For example
- While eating - practice Gratitude
- While exercising - practice the Superhero thought
- Come up with a combination that works for you.
4. Feed the Good Bull so well that even in the face of a tough situation the
Demon Bull doesn’t really wrest control. And you come out of ‘those dark hours
of the night’ with ease.
5. It is an uphill task to build immunity while ill. So too with mental immunity. Get
the drift. When you are feeling mentally, emotionally down, it takes little more
effort to bounce back. But, if you have gotten this ‘Thought Practice’ going,
bouncing back becomes easier.
6. Life is not in the big moments – but in the small, seemingly insignificant,
everyday moments. Ask yourself.. Is your health impacted more by following a
good healthy daily routine?? Or by that one super healthy meal that you ate on
Your thoughts can lead you to hell or heaven. Like is said, it is all in your mind. Each of the 6 thoughts outlined above is a “Power Bomb”. Repeat it to yourself, write it down. Empower yourself by yourself. Uplift yourself by yourself. And soar like an eagle over life’s troubles.
“Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your Destiny.”
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2020 sowspeaks