6 Reasons to Drink Coconut Water
What's All The Hype About Coconut Water?
Coconut water is all the rage these days. Refreshing coconut water has long been enjoyed by tropical populations, and surfers also quickly recognized the benefits of coconut water. Yoga fans were the next to ride the coconut water wave, and from there the all natural beverage has become so popular that it is now easy to find in even Safeway or Walgreens. Whole Foods stores often have whole refrigerators full of nothing but different brands of coconut water.
So coconut water is popular, but is it actually healthy?
That depends on what kind of coconut water you buy and drink. Read a bottle's ingredients label carefully. Ideally, the coconut water you buy should list coconut water as the only ingredient, or maybe coconut water and coconut meat and pulp. Any drinks that have added sugar or preservatives are definitely not good for you. Some coconut waters now being sold are billed as coconut-pomegranate or coconut-mandarin or coconut-mango. These all likely have added sugar or artificial flavorings and should be avoided since they are not healthy like pure coconut water.
6 Healthy Reasons To Try Coconut Water
Coconut water is full of potassium — more potassium than a whole banana in fact. That's one reason why coconut water is so darn good for you. Coconut water actually contains five electrolytes. One is that potassium I just mentioned The others are magnesium, calcium, sodium and phosphate. Add that to a low calorie, sugar-free and fat-free drink, and you've got a tasty Gatorade replacement.
- Here are 6 reasons why you should add coconut water to your diet.
- Hydration. Because of all of those electrolytes, coconut water is extremely hydrating. And because coconut water has no added sugar, it id much better for you then most sports drinks out there. Of course, plain old water is also hydrating, but coconut water has a subtle coconut flavor that offers a break from same-old tap water.
- Hangover. This gets back to coconut water being so very hydrating. One of the reasons hangovers hurt as much as they do is because dehydration is so uncomfortable. Fight that hangover fast with coconut water.
- Weight Loss. Sugary drinks have ruined many a diet, as has booze. Yet water on its own can get boring. Coconut water is a low-calorie, natural drink sans fat or added sugar. It is slightly sweet, which could also help with any cravings.
- Constipation. I know I sound like a broken record, but the reason coconut water can help ease constipation is because it is so hydrating. If you are dehydrated, you will have less water in your stool, making it harder to go to the bathroom.
- Eat More Fruit. While there's nothing like a fresh apple a day to keep the doctor away, consider coconut water as a viable substitute for eating fresh fruit. Many people find it hard to meet the government's recommended daily allowance for fruits and veggies, and coconut water is an easy way to slip one more serving of fruit into your diet. It contains many healthy vitamins and minerals found in fruit you chew, even though it is a drink.
- Taste. Coconut water is delicious. It has a light, clean, slightly sweet coconut flavor that will delight anyone who loves the taste of coconut.