- Women's Health
6 Yoga Poses to Increase Fertility
If you have been having trouble becoming pregnant and the idea of going through painful, not to mention costly, medical procedures seems like a nightmare to you then you may want to consider yoga as an alternative. Yoga can be especially helpful when it comes to curing infertility. One of the reasons for this is that it teaches you how to relax. One of the biggest issues with infertility especially when you have been diagnosed with unexplained infertility is the inability to relax. Maybe you have been trying to get pregnant for a year or more and sex has become a chore, and you are feeling frustrated. If this is the case then yoga can help you get to a better place mentally and relax so that you can begin enjoying the process of trying to get pregnant again. Since stress can affect hormones as well, then reducing your stress levels is going to go a long way towards balancing your hormones too.
There are several different yoga poses that you can practice to help you to increase your fertility and to relax. However, these 6 are in my opinion the best ones to start out with. You should consider practicing these asanas or poses at least 3 times a week if not more. You can't overdo these and the more you practice, the better you are going to feel.
1. Lotus Pose: Lotus pose is very simple and simply requires you to sit with your legs crossed and your back straight. Then you rest the back of your hands on your knees. Some people choose to touch their forefingers to their thumbs forming a circle as well. If you are having trouble keeping your spine straight, fold up a blanket so that it is an inch or 2 thick and then rest the edge of your backside against it. This will help you to sit straighter. The lotus pose helps you send prana or energy to the areas in your pelvic region that are responsible for your fertility. It also helps to balance your hormones.
2. Butterfly Pose: Butterfly pose is very similar to lotus pose except that you put your feet together and then pull them in as close to your body as you can while keeping your back straight. Then you rest your hands on your feet and breath deeply. You should close your eyes and then focus on your internal organs that are in the pelvic area. Visualize the blood flowing in this area and then relax the muscles there as well.
3. Legs on the Wall Pose: For this pose you want to lay on your side so you are parallel to the wall with your buttocks against the wall. Breathe slowly in and then out, and when you breathe out, slowly turn your hips and lift your legs until they are against the wall. You want your legs to be at a 90 degree angle to your hips with your buttocks right up against the wall. You should hold this pose for 5 minutes before slowly bringing your legs back down again.
4. Child's Pose: Child's pose helps to rejuvenate your body and thus can help you to relax and hopefully increase your chances of getting pregnant. For child's pose get down on your hands and knees and then lean forward stretching your arms and hands above your head against the floor. Wiggle your buttocks to help loosen the muscles in your lower back. Rest your forehead against the floor. If this too uncomfortable, you can also bring your arms back down and rest your forehead against them instead.
5. Pelvic Tilt Pose: Pelvic tilt pose has the advantage of getting the blood flowing through the pelvic region and strengthening and relaxing the muscles in this area. All of which can help to improve your fertility. To practice pelvic tilt pose, lie on your back on the floor. Put your feet on the floor and your arms should be on the floor at your sides. Relax your shoulders, and lengthen your neck. Then breathe in and out. On the out breath lift your pelvis and point it towards the ceiling. Lift it as high as you comfortably can. Take three long slow breaths and then gradually begin lowering your spine putting one vertebrae at a time back on the floor until your backside is resting against the floor again.
6. Supported Bridge Pose: Supported bridge pose is very similar to pelvic tilt pose but has a bit of variation. This pose also has the same benefits as pelvic tilt pose. To perform supported bridge pose, lie on your back with your feet on the floor. Bring your feet as close to your backside as you can. Take 2 deep breaths and then raise your pelvis while keeping your inner feet and thighs parallel to each other. Bring your hands together behind your back. Hold the pose for 60 seconds while breathing deeply and slowly.
All of these poses come from Hatha yoga. If you are trying to increase your fertility and cure your infertility, yoga poses from the Hatha yogic tradition, the Kripalu yogic tradition and Couples yoga are all good choices. You should refrain from practicing Bikram or hot yoga, and Ashtanga yoga as they will not be beneficial for increasing your fertility.
Infertlity Cure Links
- Fertility Yoga - Products
DVD's that teach you fertility yoga.
- Gaiam Healthy, Green Living: Yoga, Fitness, & Organic Products
Fitness, yoga and organic products from Gaiam, the leader in healthy living solutions - from green living tools, yoga & fitness gear, to organic household shopping.
- Fertility Yoga Poses: Yoga Postures for Infertility Trying To Conceive
Good explanations of how several different yoga poses can help to increase your fertility.
- Natural Fertility Treatment: Fertility Yoga Postures
Considering yoga as a natural fertility treatment? Before you sign up, find out what kinds of yoga are most recommended for improving fertility, and some yoga postures you can try at home.
- 5 Important Yoga Poses for Overcoming Unexplained Infertility
More infertility yoga poses.