- Mental Health»
- Mental Health Self-Help
7 Great Ways to Deal With Stress
How to Deal With Stress
What are some healthy ways of dealing with stress in every day life? How do you cope with stress in your life? What are some of the ways to cope with and reduce stress in life? What are some of the strategies you can use to deal with stress in modern life? And how can you deal with stress in your work life?
In this article, I want to show you how to deal wtih stress so that you can avoid suffering the harmful effects of too much stress, such as heart disease.
Observe Fish Swimming In An Aquarium
Mindfully observing fish moving through water in an aquarium can help to reduce your heart rate and blood pressure, thereby helping to reduce stress levels in the body. Also, according to some experts at the National Marine Aquarium, Plymouth University, and Exeter University all in the United Kingdom, the more fish you view, the more you will feel calm and relaxed.
Accordingly, spend 30 minutes every day beside your aquarium. Remove all other thoughts from your mind and focus your attention 100% on the fish swimming in the aquarium.
Whilst observing the fish, breathe slowly and repeat words such as “Be calm” or “Calmness” or “Peace” or “Serenity” or “Tranquility” to yourself to help put your mind at rest.
Spend Time In Nature
Spend Time In Nature
Some eco-psychologists say that being in nature can help lower systolic blood pressure, thereby helping to deal with one of the physiological effects of stress which is an increased heart rate.
Accordingly, when you want to deal with stress after a hard day of work, or when your spouse or sibling is causing you stress,
- take a stroll in a park;
- walk into quiet, serene woods, take in the fresh air and listen to the birds singing;
- walk into a farm and just observe the crops swaying in the wind;
- go to a botanical garden and walk slowly around whilst admiring flowers and trees;
- go to the banks of a lake and walk around whilst enjoying the beautiful scene;
- sit at the banks of a river and observe the water flowing;
- go to a bird sanctuary, close your eyes and listen to the birds singing;
- go to a butterfly sanctuary and observe beautiful butterflies flying;
- go to an animal farm and observe the animals and you will find peace for your heart which will help you to feel relaxed; or
- spend time on a farm doing casual work.
Admire The Image Of A Natural Scene
Look At A Picture Of A Natural Scene
According to psychologist Jonathan Kaplan, simply looking at a natural scene, looking at the picture or a painting of a scene from nature, can help one to deal with stress.
- Therefore, get beautiful pictures of fascinating and calming scenes from nature, such as waterfalls, birds flying in the sky, a sleeping lion, flowers, a lake, a river, a jungle, or an ocean.
- When you feel stressed out, sit comfortably, try to relax, and just focus your attention on the picture or painting and try not to think about anything else.
- Enjoy the scene and imagine you are there physically and that you are feeling composed, with a sense of tranquility all around you.
- Additionally, try to breathe in slowly whilst you view the picture or painting, and breathe out slowly through your mouth.
Observing the picture or painting will help your brain to calm down. Additionally, because you are sitting at one place, your breathing rate will also drop and you will feel calm as a result.
Meditate On John 16 V 33
According to the American Psychological Association, meditating can help a person to deal with stress. One kind of meditation you may consider practicing is Bible meditation.
How do you do it?
- Lie comfortably in your bed and alternatively tense and relax all the muscles of your body so that you can release the tension in your body.
- Pick one Bible verse that can help you to feel calm, such as John 16 v 33 which says, “I have said this to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”
- Reflect on the deeper meaning of the words for 5 minutes.
- Then, close your eyes and imagine Jesus (imagine Him as a 15-foot Being) is holding your hand, walking with you through life. It will induce calmness in your brain when you consider that Jesus, who has overcome every challenge you are going through, is with you to help you. It will make you relax mentally. Additionally, your spirit too will quieten down, which will give your body a sense of relief and serenity.
Read Job 1 V 21 Often
Sometimes we increase our stress because we are not content with what we have—we see that somebody has something and so we move Heaven and Earth to try to get similar things.
Job 1 v 21 says, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return…” Read it often to remind yourself that after all is said and done, you will leave the world with nothing. It will help you to see that you do not need to worry yourself over certain things, that even if you lose certain things, you have really lost nothing because you came into the world with nothing. That will change your perspective so that you will become more content with whatever you have. Consequently, you will have peace of mind and you will not feel stressed out that you lack so many things.
When you focus on God and praise Him instead of focusing on the challenges of everyday living, it lifts your spirit and refreshes your soul and you experience inner peace, and that helps your body to feel relaxed.
Therefore, every day, praise God in such a manner, “I praise You, my God and my King. I bless Your Holy Name today and I will bless Your Name for as long as I live. God You are great. God You are mighty. God You are faithful and true to Your word. You are the Ancient of Days, the Never Changing God, the Immortal One who deserves to be feared. Your greatness is unsearchable. The glorious splendor of Your majesty is unparalleled in all creation. When I consider the works of Your hands—the beautiful flowers, the wonderful oceans, the gorgeous lakes, the breathtaking rivers, the sun which does not generate heat but which You keep burning at 10,000 degrees Fahrenheit day after day and year after year, the birds that sing melodious songs, the waterfalls, the great mountains which tell of Your greatness, the valleys, the beautiful women walking all over the Earth, God You are a wonderful Creator. When I think about the fact that You give us free air to breathe, You give us free energy which sustains life, You give us rain in its season, You give us food crops and animals for food, God You are kind. Your goodness is abundant. When I consider that You are slow to anger, that You forgive me for my sins, LORD You abound in steadfast love and good ness. HALLELU-YAH!”
Prayer can give you a sense of security, a feeling that the Greatest Living Power is on your side to help you face any threats that you will encounter, and that can give you peace of mind which can help you to feel calm so that your blood pressure will reduce.
So, every day, say a prayer such as this one, “Dear Father, please forgive me for the sins I have committed against You, and for the wrong things I have done against my fellow man. LORD, I thank You for Your mercies and grace that have sustained me since I was born. Merciful and Gracious LORD, I have problems which I want You to help me solve. My boss is making life hell for me at work. LORD, You know about the diseases I am battling. The rent is due and I don’t know where I am going to get money to pay it. I don’t know what I will do when the water bill and electricity bill also come next week. Great Provider, I will also have to pay Yaa’s school fees next month. And I have to send money to my mother. LORD, I feel overwhelmed. I don’t know what to do. But I know You are the Great I AM, the God who takes care of over 7 billion people—You know how to get me out of my troubles. You are the God who is able to turn the desert into pools of water. You are the Great Deliverer who is able to make thousands of ways where there seems to be no way. You are the Great Provider, Jehovah-jireh, who provided 600,000 Israelites with over 600,000 quails when they were in the wilderness. You are the God who turned around the great famine in Samaria and provided abundant food later. I know You can turn around this bad situation, this situation of poverty and lack, and give me abundance. Please hear my cry! Please help me! Please help me to solve all my problems! Amen.”
To deal with stress, watch fish swimming in an aqurium, spend time in nature, view the picture of a scene from nature, meditate on John 16 v 33 often, read Job 1 v 21 often, praise God for His kindness towards you, and pray that God will help you to carry your burdens.
How to Deal With Stress
Do you love spending time in nature?
© 2018 Isaac Nunoofio