- Diet & Weight Loss
5 Tips and Tricks for Weight Loss
1. Cut the Soda
One Coke has 140 calories. If you are drinking one Coke per day, that equals out to and extra 980 calories per week! That's 51,100 calories per year. Divide that by 3,500, and you get an extra 14.6 pounds per year! You could lose weight without even doing a jumping jack or a push up.
What about diet soda? Although diet soda has no calories, it can cause weight gain. When you taste the sweet flavor of diet soda, your brain triggers your pancreas to release insulin as if you were consuming regular sugar. That extra insulin can lead to weight gain. Also, the carbonation in soda will make you bloat, and look like you weight much more than you do.
Another reason to ditch this addiction is because soda can increase your appetite, making you want to eat more, which is no good for any dieter.
Sugary Drinks to Avoid
Fruit Punch, 8oz
Arizona Tea, 240g
Pink Lemonade, 8oz
Did You Know?
If you took the grams of sugar is one can of Coca-Cola (39g) and put it on a plate, it would equal out to 10 Teaspoons of sugar!
2. Don't Cheat Yourself
A key trick to losing weight is to know how many calories you should be consuming each day. To do this, you need to find your Basal Metabolic Rate and Resting Metabolic Rate. This will tell you how many calories your body burns on it's own each day based on your age, height, weight and gender.
Here are the equations to find your own BMR:
- For men: (13.75 x w) + (5 x h) - (6.76 x a) + 66
- For women: (10 x w) + (6.25 x h) - (5 x a) - 161
(w) Weight is in kilograms, (h) height is in centimeters, (a) age.
After you find this number, you multiply it by a number that represents your activity level. 1.2 for little or no exercise. 1.375 for light exercises 1-3 per week. 1.55 for moderate exercise 3-5 days each week. 1.725 for intense exercise 6-7 days per week. 1.9 for intense exercise daily and having a physical career.
If you don't want to do the math yourself. There are online calculators:
The main tip is to overestimate your calorie intake, and underestimate your calories burned. Don't cheat yourself by adding a few extra potato chips and not counting them. Every little bit adds up.
If you were to consume and extra 20 calories that you didn't count each day, it equals out 7,300 uncounted calories per year! That's an extra 2 pounds per year!
3. Guzzle Some Green Tea
I'm not talking just a little green tea. Consume 690mg, or five cups or green tea per day to fight that stubborn belly fat. The catechins in green tea are the star players when promoting weight loss. Green tea contains more catechins than other types of tea.
To make green tea more appealing, look at the other benefits:
- It regulates glucose levels which, in turn, reduces the change of insulin spikes and unnecessary weight gain.
- It prevents clotting, which can decrease the change of having a heart attack.
- It decreases bad cholesterol, while improving good cholesterol.
- It can prevent dental conditions because the antioxidants in green tea destroy bacteria in the mouth and throat.
Green tea promotes a higher metabolism!
4. Workout in the Morning
You may not usually be a morning person, but working out in the morning can turn you into one. Working out in the morning boosts your mood, and also gives your metabolism a boost for the entire day.
Before going to class, do a thirty minutes aerobics exercise to get your heart pumping and your mind thinking. Exercise has been proven to increase brain activity and performance.
Studies show that people who workout in the morning are much more likely to stick to their routine because it is consistent, than people who workout whenever they find time.
Also, remember, the gym is usually more packed around 5pm. Early bird gets the worm, as they say. You will have the choice of any exercise equipment that you need, meaning you will be more motivated to do something you like, weather it's biking, running or lifting.
You can burn an extra 190 calories during the day by doing an intense workout in the morning!
5. Avoid Diet Pills
There is no such thing as a miracle pill. It would be lovely if they sold a $30 bottle of diet pills that guaranteed weight loss without diet or exercise. No such luck.
Here are the reasons to avoid these nasty little suckers:
- Diet pills can make your body retain water, making you look bloated, and weight a few more pounds than you really should.
- If you happen to lose weight while taking them, chances are, as soon as you stop taking them, you will gain back each and every pound.
- They cause nauseating headaches. Because of the high concentration of caffeine in diet pills, you can end up with a throbbing headache every day.
- They decrease your natural energy and lower your metabolism. Although they suppress your appetite, the large cut in calories can put your body in starvation mode, lowering your metabolism.
They lead to nutrient deficiencies which can lead to an embarrassing syndrome called Streatorrhea, meaning you may have anal leakage.