How to Lower Cholesterol Naturally
Improve Heart Health
Your heart has a very important job and once it stops doing its job you stop living. I say that because I want you to realize the importance of keeping your heart healthy. My suggestions in this article are from a natural health perspective. If you are on medication for your heart I do not recommend that you come off your meds and start treating yourself naturally, but that you lay a foundation of healthy eating and lifestyle and then work with your GP in adjusting the dosage of your medication.
First, lets look at what conditions contribute to our hearts poor health:
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- High Triglycerides
- High Cholesterol
Any of these conditions can lead to poor heart health, but what I want you to understand is that if you already have these conditions your heart is in need of special attention.
Stress and diet are the top contributors to poor heart health. According to Ayurveda, your heart is the seat of prana, ojas and your mind. Prana is your energy source and ojas is the overall strength of your immune system. Both stress and what you are putting in your body are depleting your energy and lowering your immune system.
What can you do to reverse the above conditions?
1) I suggest, if you already have any of the above three conditions that you book yourself a consultation with a health coach so you can work on reversing your condition and get your heart healthy again.
2) Look at what you are eating. A diet high in fat, fried foods, heavy cold dairy and meat will only add to your problems. Cut out or greatly limit all of the above items.
3) Move your body. Every day make sure that you are moving your body to increase your heart rate and to sweat. The best time, according to Ayurveda, to do this would be first thing in the morning upon awakening. Don't worry about how you look, but get up and go for a nice walk. This will get your heart pumping and help the sludge that has accumulated in your body move out.
4) Take some quiet time for yourself every day. This is general maintenance that everyone should do. If you know how to meditate then pick up the practice again or if you aren’t sure how then just take time everyday to sit in a calm, peaceful place and let go of your thoughts to be completely aware of what’s around you. Your thoughts will be there, but don’t get attached to what is being thought of, rather be a witness to the thoughts and let them come and go. Watch and observe them.
5) Practice some form of energy movement. This can include yoga, qigong or tai chi. Anything that brings a calmness to the mind, allows energy to flow through the body and enables you to be aware of your energy and how to move it rather than allowing to stay blocked in your body will keep the stress from accumulating.
6) Increase fresh ginger and cooked garlic in your diet. Both ginger and garlic are considered to be heart tonics that you can add to your food. While it may not feel like your doing much for your heart by eating them you won’t be missing out on taste and you really will be helping your body. Remember that your food is medicine and everything you eat has potential medicinal value in it.
7) Learn how to breathe properly. Breath is also what keeps us alive. Breathing from the upper part of our chest only uses the top part of our lungs while the bottom half sits passively. Breathing through the belly will fill up the full capacity of the lungs and keep us in a calmer state throughout the day. Also, by breathing through the belly you can release tension and stress through your breath. When you first start breathing from the belly I suggest you do it lying down. This is much easier than sitting as it allows the body to relax so you can give your full attention to where you are breathing from. Remember that when you inhale your belly should be expanding like a balloon and when you exhale your belly will fall towards the spine. Though I left breathing as number 7 I feel like it can give you full benefit if you incorporate it into your daily life and make it the way you breath naturally.
These are my 7 Tips to improve your Heart Health. They are very practicle and simple, but effective especially if you can do them all. Also, even if you don't have any of the above conditions, you can be sure that you won't get them if you do all of the above suggestions. Remember that your heart is one of the most important organs in your body and you should be doing everything you can to keep it in top condition.
Remember that we are all individual and the best results will be if you are working one on one with a health coach. If you have questions or comments please feel comfortable in leaving them here.