7 Ways to Instantly Boost Your Mood
As women, we tend to experience several emotions throughout the course of our day. One minute we're happy, the next we're frustrated, anxious, or just feeling discouraged.
Here are some tips to instantly boost your mood!
1. Drink water. Drinking plenty of water helps aid in circulation which can boost energy, improve brain function and problem solving, and overall satisfaction. Not drinking enough water can lead to dehydration which can cause many negative symptoms such as headaches, confusion, and fatigue.
2. Grab a coloring book. Research has proven that coloring is not only calming, but using bright vibrant, colors can automatically improve your mood. This is because color therapy generates wellness and stimulates brain areas related to motor skills, the senses and creativity. Color therapy dates back to the early 20th century when Psychologist Carl Jung and his colleagues discovered its de-stressing properties.
3. Connect with people. Human interaction is essential to living a happy and balanced life. Connecting with old friends and family, or creating new relationships, can provide you with the support, love, and encouragement you need to quickly lift your spirits.
4. Sprint/Lift heavy weights. When was the last time your ran as fast as you could for fun? Remember how much fun you had playing "tag"? Well, research shows that sprinting and lifting weights stimulate growth hormones that instantly boost your mood and release feel-good chemicals in your brain such as endorphins and serotonin.
5. Eat chocolate. In a recent CNN reported entitled, "Can food affect your mood?", research shows that cocoa boosts serotonin levels. No surprise here. It's the key ingredient, polyphenol, that causes you to feel calmer and more content.
6. Write a to-do list. An organized mind is a peaceful one. Creating a task list AND checking off tasks can not only free your mind to focus on other things, but it allows you to see your productivity.
7. Pamper yourself. It's okay to take some time for yourself. Matter of fact, self care is essential to your happiness and well-being. Whether it's getting a massage, ordering your favorite take-out, reflecting on your proudest moments or taking a hot shower, self care significantly increases optimism and confidence. Remember, the best of you is a rested you!
Give it a try! Let me know other ways you use to instantly boost your mood in the comments below.