8 Diet Friendly Snack Ideas
Trying to lose weight? If you want to lose weight, it's important to remember that snacking is not off limits. As a matter of fact, it's important to eat when you are hungry if you are dieting.
Having a healthy snack between meals can keep you from eating too much when mealtime rolls around. Instead of eating something that might sabotage your weight loss goals, reach for one of these eight diet-friendly snack ideas the next time you're feeling ready to snack between meals.
8 Diet Friendly Snack Ideas
1. Fresh Fruit – When you are feeling hungry and craving something sweet, consider reaching for your favorite variety of fresh fruit. Fiber-rich choices like apples, oranges, pears, and grapes are great snack choices for dieters.
2. No Sugar Added Ice Cream – If you can exercise portion control, no sugar added ice cream can be a great choice for an in-between meal snack. There are several brands of reduced sugar ice cream on the market, including single serving options, such as Breyer's Carb Smart bars, and half-gallon containers in a variety of flavors.
3. Nuts – Even though nuts are calorie-dense, they can be a great choice for in-between meal snacks. The key to successful snacking with nuts is to limit your portion size. Since they are packed with protein and fiber, eating a few nuts can keep hunger pains away for quite some time.
4. Popcorn – Air popped and calorie controlled microwave popcorn can be a great option for dieters. With only about 23 calories per cup, you can eat quite a lot of popcorn without blowing your diet. Since it's a great source of fiber, popcorn is also quite filling.
5. Pita Chips – If you have a craving for a crunchy snack, consider reaching for a package of baked pita chips rather than friend potato or corn chips. Choose a healthy dipping option such as salsa, hummus, or guacamole.
6. Protein Bars – Protein bars can be a great option for a meal substitution or between-meal snack. There are several tasty varieties on the market, including a number of tasty selections from Atkins Nutritionals and The South Beach Diet.
7. Raw Veggies – Raw vegetables can be a great choice for dieters, especially baby carrots, celery sticks, broccoli stalks, and cauliflower florets. Dip your favorite variety of vegetables into reduced calorie ranch dressing for a low calorie, fiber-rich snack any time of day.
8. Yogurt -- Low fat yogurt is a tasty snack idea if you are careful to choose a variety that doesn't have a lot of empty calories. Check labels carefully before purchasing yogurt, as some brands are packed with extra calories from sugar. Select a brand that is sweetened with Splenda or Truvia, such as Weight Wachers or Breyer's YoCrunch yogurt.
Do you have other suggestions for healthy snack ideas for dieters? Share your ideas in the comments section below!