9 Clever Ways to Deal With Stress
Stress is a part of everyday life and you cannot eliminate it completely from your life. However, if you don’t deal with it well, you have a higher risk of developing diseases such as depression, anxiety, and heart disease.
So, what are some of the ways to deal with stress so that it does not adversely affect your health? What are some of the practical ways to handle stress at work, in school, and in the home? How do you manage stress in life so that you can keep it under control? What are some of the stress management techniques you can employ to ensure that you live a health life?
In this article, I want to show you how to deal with stress so that you can keep it under control to help you enjoy your life.
Now, what stress management strategies can you employ?
Research shows that exercising causes the brain to release a group of chemicals known as endorphins which makes one feel good, as well as making one feel relaxed.
Therefore, adopt the habit of exercising every day. Take a brisk walk for 30 minutes in your yard in the evenings, jog for 30 minutes before you go to work, run for five miles every morning before you go to work, swim regularly, jump a rope and count till you reach a count of 1000 every morning, or work on your treadmill every morning and evening.
Additionally, here are two exercise you can do to deal with stress:
- Stand erect with your legs slightly apart.
- While keeping your knees locked and straight, bend forward and touch your fingertips to the floor.
- Stand straight up again.
- Repeat the procedure 50 times at a vigorous pace.
- Stand erect and lock your knees.
- Begin to extend your legs apart, front and back, so that your crotch is lowered toward the floor, with one leg forward and the other behind.
- Keep your hands and arms firmly outstretched to the sides.
- In the beginning, take this exercise slowly. You do not need to achieve a ballet dancer’s split on the first attempt.
Make Sure You Sleep For At Least 7 Hours Every Day
When you don’t get enough sleep you will feel stressed out. On the other hand, when you get enough sleep, your body and mind will recover from the fatigue resulting from the day’s activities and you will feel relaxed in your mind and in your body.
Therefore, manage yourself properly so that you can get enough sleep every evening. To be able to do this:
- create a daily duty schedule and include seven hours of sleep in that schedule. Add sleep to the top priority items so that you will treat it with all the seriousness it deserves;
- additionally, set a reminder on your phone to remind you that you have to sleep. And when the alarm blows, discipline yourself, stop whatever you are doing, and jump into bed;
- moreover, remember to switch your phone off when you get into bed so that no one will disturb your sleep.
Additionally, here is an exercise you can do easily to help you to sleep soundly:
- Lie supine on your bed.
- Raise your right knee and bring it up into your chest. Pull hard.
- Slide your right leg back on the bed. Relax.
- Bring up your left knee into your chest. Pull hard.
- Slide your left knee back on the bed. Relax.
- Repeat the procedure 20 times for each leg.
Listen To Your Favorite Slow Music
When you come home tired after a hectic day at work, when you are worried about all the bills that you have to pay, when your boyfriend or your husband is giving you problems and you feel stressed out, or if you have anxieties about the exam that you are going to write, which is an exam that will determine your future, play soothing, slow music. It will help to reduce your heart rate and your breathing rate, as well as cause a reduction of your blood pressure. Furthermore, it will also reduce the levels of stress hormones in your body so that you can feel calm and relaxed.
Choose music without vocals. You may choose classical music or gospel instrumentals. Close your eyes as you listen to the music and try to make out the different instruments and how the instruments blend to produce the sounds as you drink in the rhythm—try to focus 100% on the music and you will feel relaxed.
Drink Enough Water Every Day
All our body organs need water to work properly. When you don’t drink enough water, your organs don’t function at their optimal level. According to some medical experts, dehydration can cause the levels of stress hormones in the body to rise.
So, keep a bottle of water with you wherever you go so that you can sip a little regularly. Additionally, choose to consume foods which contain water, such as soups, and eat a lot of fruits every day so that you can stay hydrated.
Relax Your Mind
Imagine a calm, serene, tranquil scene when you feel stressed out. Concentrate on the scene you create with all your mind and it will create a sense of peace in your heart, which will help you to feel calm and relaxed.
- Imagine sitting under a mango tree in a quiet village, listening to birds singing in a mango tree.
- Envision lying on green grass in a quiet spot, looking into the blue sky.
- Imagine that you are in a botanical garden, admiring and smelling beautiful flowers.
- Envision yourself in a forest, listening to the chirps of insects.
- Imagine yourself swimming in a cool river on a hot afternoon.
Write Your Feelings Down
Write down your thoughts and what is causing you stress in a journal. This will give you a healthy outlet to express yourself and release your emotions so that the stress will not adversely affect your mental health.
Furthermore, it will help you to organize your feelings and thoughts better so that you can deal with your problems in a consistent manner.
- Therefore, create two columns in your journal.
- Label one column “How I Feel About The Stress I Am Going Through,” and the other one “What I Need To Do.”
- Write down honestly how you feel about your stressors in the first column, and the ways you can deal with those situations in the second column.
When you have a lot of worries on your mind, just whistle one of your favorite tunes and enjoy it with all your mind. This activity will put you in a happy state and make you feel joyful and that will help you to feel relaxed and at peace with yourself.
As you whistle, focus your whole mind on the activity and listen to the sound you are creating. It will prevent you from worrying about the mountain of work you have to do tomorrow, or about mistakes you have made in the past and so on.
Meditate On Bible Verses
Meditation is one thing which some medical experts agree can help a person to deal with stress. As you sit quietly and meditate, your heart rate drops and this helps you to calm down. Additionally, as you feed your mind on what you are meditating on, your breathing rate and blood pressure will drop and you will feel relaxed as a result of that.
One kind of meditation you can practice is to meditate on verses of Scripture. How do you do that?
- Choose a quiet place where you can concentrate on your thoughts without distraction.
- Sit in a comfortable position and close your eyes.
- Then, recall a Bible verse that speaks about the need not to worry of fear, such as, “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you”(Isaiah 43:2).
- Reflect on this verse. Whilst doing that, try to breathe slowly and deeply.
- Do your best to keep your mind focused on the verse you choose for 10 minutes. Ruminate upon it and try to see its deeper meaning. Anytime another thought comes into your mind, push it away by saying the Bible verse loudly. Then, refocus on the verse.
- At the end of the meditation, say something such as, “I can have peace in my mind and peace in my heart because God is with me and so there is nothing to fear and worry about.”
- Recall the verse you chose throughout the day and contemplate on what you learned so that you can continue to feel relaxed mentally.
Spirituality and Prayer
Spirituality and prayer is another tool you can use to deal with stress. Research shows that people who take spirituality seriously are able to cope with life’s problems better. Additionally, when you talk to God, when you talk to Him about your problems and when you lay your burdens at His feet, you feel relieved that your problems are in the hands of a competent Power who is able to solve all problems, and who will help you to deal with the issues you are struggling with.
So, go to church regularly. As you converse with other Christians, and as you hear the problems they are also dealing with, you will see that there are people with worse problems in life than you are grappling with, and that will help you to feel grateful for your lot in life, which will help you to feel relaxed.
Additionally, say a prayer such as this one every day, “Dear God, I have committed a lot of sins against you and against my fellow man. Please forgive me. Lord, I thank You for giving me life to see this day. I thank You for the gifts of sight, hearing, taste, touch, speech, mobility, and for the cognitive gifts you have given to me. Glory be to Your Holy Name. Father, You command us to bring our problems to You because You are the Great Problem Solver who can help us to solve our problems. Lord, I have to pay Kofi’s school fees. The landlord has raised the rent and I need money to pay that to. Additionally, my boss has been tormenting me in the office lately and that makes me angry. Yaa has also been giving me trouble in the house nowadays and it is causing tension in our marriage. And Lord, I get worried sometimes about the disease my mother is suffering from. I am weak and limited, but You take care of 7 billion people and I know You can easily help me to take care of these problems. Please help me! Please save me! Please make ways for me! Please give me the wisdom and strength I need to solve these problems. Amen.”
If you want to deal with stress, exercise every day, make sure you get enough sleep, listen to slow music, drink at least eight glasses of water every day, visualize beautiful scenes when you are stressed, write down your feelings, whistle, meditate on Bible verses, and work on your spirituality.
9 Clever Ways to Deal With Stress
Do you worship God often?
© 2017 Isaac Nunoofio