- Mental Health
Adults who have Adhd , causes, symptoms, and treatment.
Historically, some experts believed that adhd was a childhood disorder that mainly affected boys.This information turned out to be incorrect, even though many more boys than girls had received the diagnosis in childhood, the testings in adulthood revealed a one to one ratio.
Causes So far the causes of this are mainly unknown. More medical research is needed to find out the why's of this condition. All they think now is that it can be heredity, possibly related to alcohol, smoking and drug abuse, in life or prenatal. Studies have been done with a brain scan, and this showed that there are different areas of the brain, that engage, and others that do not engage, in comparison to someone who does not have adhd. So it has been identified this way as a very real and actual condition. Those who have it, should never feel bad at all. It is never their fault.
The following are some of the symptoms of those who struggle with adult adhd.
- Extreme Distractability .
As a problem with attention regulation. When the person is in a busy, noisy, hectic environment phone calls and emails can cause other priority tasks to remain unfinished.
- Restlessness and an inability to relax. You may feel edgy a lot and others may notice that you seem tense and stressed, most or nearly all of the time.
- A pattern of often being late. Due to distractions, leaving home for an event or appointment can be full of delays. Pets getting loose and needing to be chased down, loosing keys, and other basic items needed, realizing the tank is low on gas, answering a phone call, and minor accidents. The person looses track of time and how long it actually takes to do things.
- Poor listening skills. A tendency to zone out when other people are talking with you can cause communication problems, and can frustrate children and partners who do not feel heard or validated and do not understand what is happening. This can lead to misunderstandings, and mix ups.
- They tend to avoid or dislike to do tasks that will need sustained mental focus.
- They can have trouble following through with things and can have many unfinished tasks as a result of getting distracted.
- They will often be fidgety and seem restless anpd driven by something.
- Their speech is rapid, and they tend to interrupt when someone else is talking. by a
sense of urgency.
These are a cluster of symptoms you may relate to if you or someone close to you has this disorder.
Impulsiveness, anger control
feeling unorganized, mood swings
substance abuse, low self esteem
Self education is key to managing these symptoms and newer medications are available that have been very effective. Working with a professional who specializes is also important. Dedication and awareness can go miles to improve the lives of those frustrated with this illness.
Treatments for adhd
There are a few medications that are used in the treatment of adhd such as
Concerta, Adderall, Dexedrine, and Vyuanse The effectiveness of which needs to be monitored by a family doctor, or psychiatrist. This is extremely important, as the person needs to tell the doctor what is going on.
Psychotherapy can help a lot in resolving, organizational skills and time management skills. To learn effective problem solving skills, to improve Self Esteem, and to learn ways to have better relationships with family, friends, and co-workers. Also they learn to work on reducing impulsive behaviors.