Add a Little Faith to Your Life
What is Faith?
Faith is not just about religion. Faith is about believing in something beyond yourself, whether or not that something else is a higher power, a person or an idea. Faith is an unquestioning belief or complete trust in something or someone that sometimes goes beyond rational thought and reason.
Faith can also be about believing in yourself regardless of how others view you and what they think about your abilities. True faith is hard to break once built and adds value to life.
Faith adds Sunshine to Life
Why is Faith Important?
- Faith helps see us through the bad times. With any setback that happens in our lives, we have two choices ~ give up or persevere. What makes someone give up? A lack of belief in one’s ability to succeed. What makes another person try again? The belief that he/she will succeed. One person has faith while the other has no faith. People without a belief in themselves may not even have the strength to modify their strategies or learn from their mistakes. They just get discouraged and see absolutely no way that things will work out.
- Faith is a great motivator. Believing that you are destined to achieve a certain goal in your life keeps you pushing towards your goal. Naturally, you will continue to move forward towards your dream because you feel that you will be where you want to be in the end. A belief system also keeps you on track with living the life you want. Your faith keeps you intrinsically tied to your system of values and living within your own moral code.
- Faith allows us to be happy. When we have trust in our lives, we have hope that our relationships and friendships will be fruitful and bring us joy. We believe that eventually we will get that job or buy that home. Faith allows us to feel that life is worth living and have optimism for the future.
- Faith gives us a purpose to life. You invest in that great business idea because you have the faith that it will work. You trust the latest scientific study because you have faith in science. You go out on that blind date because you believe in love. Faith makes the world go around and causes us to seek out relationships with others and put our ideas into practice.
It is okay to have faith. Even atheists can have faith in something ~ love, family, money, science or history. Everyone has faith in something or they would cease to exist. For the most part, people expect to go outside and take a breath of air and not drop dead or fly off into space. Sure, there are different degrees of faith. Some people have a lot of faith and some people have little faith. Some people have blind faith and some need a lot of empirical evidence to have faith. However, there are ways that you can build your faith in yourself to help you receive the positive impacts of a faithful life that are listed above.
Ways to Build Faith in Yourself
- Be a doer. Take action and do. Only by doing can you build up your confidence and abilities.
- Face a fear. Facing a fear helps build up your confidence and get rid of the limitations you put on yourself. Take a chance and explore a new opportunity.
- Learn. If there is something you don’t know how to do, learn about it. Study and prepare. Knowledge builds up confidence.
- Expect a few mistakes. Mistakes are a part of life. Learn from them and use them to build up your confidence and knowledge instead of just to tear yourself down.
- Accept yourself. Learn what makes you tick and what you are all about. Get in touch with the real you (away from the expectations and desires of others) to find what you are good at and who you are. Accepting yourself breeds self-confidence.
"Faith is a necessity to a man (and woman). Woe to him (her) who believes in nothing." - Victor Hugo
Sure you can be a naysayer and criticize people for having too much faith. But, chances are, people with faith are happy. So, why not give faith a chance?