Adenoiditis Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Symptoms and diagnosis
- When the adenoids get swollen or infected, the child develops a blocked, or stuffy, nose. This causes him/her breathe through the mouth.
- There may be difficulty in swallowing food and liquids-this often leads to loss of appetite.
- The child may snore while sleeping; frequent coughing and disturbed sleep further add to their petulance. The child may also suffer from yellowish or greenish nasal discharge; there a mild temperature sometimes.
- Parents generally sense the onset of the problem when the child develops a stuffy nose, cough, or mild ever, or breathes through the mouth. Note: By the time the child turns five, the adenoids start shrinking; they usually resolve around the teenage years. But, before that, they can cause enough trouble for kids prone to the problem and also their parents.
The child's medical history helps the doctor in arriving at a probable diagnosis. In addition, a clinical examination of the adenoids helps to confirm diagnosis.
The adenoids can't be seen as easily as you see the tonsils, when your child opens the mouth. Hence, your doctor will use a special mirror to examine them. Sometimes, an X ray may be ordered to confirm the diagnosis.
How and why
- When the adenoids get swollen adenoiditis it makes breathing somewhat difficult for kids.
- Bacterial or viral infections are the commonest causes for adenoid infection. Children usually catch such infections from people in the family or friends.
- In an attempt tofight the infection, the adenoids get swollen, a defence mechanism, and produce the typical symptoms.
Healing with Homeopathy
Homeopathy comes like a breath of fresh air in treating adenoid problems. In most instances, it does away with the need for surgery. Surgical intervention may only be required in a few cases that don't respond to medical treatment. In other words, homeopathy should be the first line, or option, in the medical management of adenoiditis.
Self treatment of Adenoiditis
- Treat infections quickly this will help prevent the occurrence or recurrence of adenoids
- Take care of your child's general health with nutritious diet and good ventilation this will help one to avoid infection, inflammation and enlargement of the adenoid glands.
- Children should avoid blowing the nose vigorously-this can cause undue pressure in the ear and cause problems.
- Drink plenty of fluids to keep the throat moist and prevent dehydration.
- Provide comforting and warm liquids or water with honey, as this soothes a sore throat.
- Encourage your child to gargle with salt water, as this soothes a sore throat, no less.
Five year old Shivam was brought to us by his parents because he had a recurrent cough and cold, nasal obstruction, and was breathing through his mouth and snoring. We gave him Calcarea Phosphorica. In just a week's time, his mouth breathing and snoring reduced by 50 per cent. Within six weeks, there was not even a single episode of cold and cough his face started looking calm, much to his parents delight. What's more, the adenoids, much to their ENT doctor's surprise, had regressed completely the nasal passage was also clear.