- Diet & Weight Loss
Advantages and disadvantages of Dieting.
Today most of the people have the problem of weight who are struggling hard by trying different ways to lose weight quick. Everyone cares about one's weight and fats and calories. Some of 'em use exercises and some take help of dieting and some even both of these. But here i will tell you some advantages and disadvantages of dieting. After reading this hub i hope you are able to analyze the best way that suits your body and mood thus helping you in losing weight fast.
What is Dieting?
Dieting is defined in many ways. Some of the best definitions are given below:
- It is the act of restricting your food intake (or your intake of particular foods)
- Dieting is the practice of ingesting food in a regulated fashion to achieve or maintain a controlled weight. In most cases dieting is used in combination with physical exercise to lose weight in those who are overweight or obese. ...
- Dieting is about restricting what we eat or how much we eat in order to lose weight. We usually diet because we believe that being thinner will make us ...
- It is an important predictor of eating disorders among adolescents. Girls who practiced rigid dieting are about 18 times more likely to have eating ...
Does Dieting really helps in weight loss??
Yes, it helps in losing weight but till the time you have lost weight. We divide dieting in three phases.
This is the initial phase of dieting when you just start having a limited diet to control extra calories and fats to go in your body. During this phase the fat body is not affected as much as it should for a normal healthy person. As the time passes and you gradually become regular in having a limited amount of fats, calories and carbohydrates, your body starts showing some results. Its in 3rd week when other people start talking about you..."Hey...seems like you are working on your weight...".
This phase starts after regular dieting of about three weeks. As the 4th week starts, you yourself start feeling a bit lighter than before. In the initial days of this phase, your body feels fresh and thus affecting your mood and habits. As 5th week starts, its the time to take analysis of your weight. In the 5th week you should come over the weighing machine. Whatever your weight was before dieting it should show at least 5-10 kg less than before. I will write it in a simple way
Before starting limited diet your weight is: 80 kg
During 5th week of dieting your weight is: 70-75 kg
Here you see the real difference. Continue the phase-II till 6th week ends.
Now this is the final and most important phase regarding your weigh but more about your health. As the 7th week starts, your body starts feeling a bit tired and lousy. Its not because something has gone wrong. Its because its not the time to continue dieting in the same boost. Its the time when your body has burnt almost 80% of its extra fats, calories and carbohydrates. I used the word "Extra". Keep this word in mind. Extra diets in your body cause the weight to start growing. Till now you have burnt 80% of your extra calories etc but still extra. Your weight is not normal yet. But its the time to quit dieting not completely but to a little extent. Because in this phase, after burning a lot of calories, your body needs a break. Further limited intake of food may harm your health because beside your extra meat, there are other parts of the body too that need something to work like your mind,eyes,stomach, etc.
Phase-III starts in 7th week. As it starts, you start eating excessive fruits and vegetables and water. But not the fats yet. During this phase you start changing rapidly so take care of yourself that you don't go weak internally. Do little dieting but with excessive fruits and fresh juices. During this phase, along-with the weight loss exercises, you may lose even 3-5 kg per week but your health comes first. So keep it between 1-2 kg per week. Phase-III continues till you get your desired weight.
Types of Dieting:
Depending on the type of food they use for dieting, it has following types:
- Low-fat diets (includes foods that have less fats in them)
diets (foods having less carbohydrates)
- Low-calorie diets (foods contain less amount of calories)
- Very low-calorie diets (same as third but with lesser calories)
Advantages of Dieting:
Every one of us know the advantages of dieting. Still i tell you these:
- Improves the ability of controlling your extra-intake habits of foods.
- Builds up patience and consistency in your personality.
- Definitely reduces your weight.
- Keeps you fresh till its not excessive
- May reduce the risk of various heart diseases.
I will never advise someone over 100 Kg or below 70 Kg to go for dieting due to some specific reasons
Disadvantages of Dieting:
Its very important to keep in mind that this feature of dieting implies only if you continue the dieting in third phase with the same boost as it is in first and second phase. Or simply you say excessive dieting may cause following disadvantages:
- Prolonged hunger
- Reduced sex drive
- Muscle atrophy
- Bloodshot eyes
- Constipation, due to lack of food-intake
- Dehydration, due to lack of fluid-intake
- Lowered metabolism, if food intake is inadequate to the level of exercise, causing future attempts at weight loss to become more difficult
- Risk of developing Eating Disorders, especially Anorexia Nervosa or Bulimia Nervosa, even if initial intentions of dieting were health-wise
- Subsequent weight re-gain
Should I Opt for Dieting?
Many people ask me the same question after reading this hub.. "Should I opt for dieting or not?"Well the answer is simple "It depends..!!" I will never advise someone over 100 Kg or below 70 Kg to go for dieting due to some specific reasons. It is important to lose weight but more important thing is how to lose wight? I have seen cases where people bought various dangerous diseases with the dieting package just because they did not consult any nutritionist or physicist before opting for dieting.
So it highly recommended that you visit a nutritionist if you are planning to burn fats and discuss your strategies with him/her.
Need an Advice?
If you have been searching on the internet for too long to find ways to lose weight or burn your fat and are not satisfied with the results
If you are planning to implement a strategy on yourself to put off that extra fat and need some advice regarding this, you can download the free book from the link given below. In this book, you will find:
- Free 3 week diet plan and guidance.
- A comprehensive guide on how to lose weight without relying too much on dieting.
- Recovering your former diet after you have lost weight without affecting your weight.
Your word matters
Was this information helpful?
© 2010 saksare