Affirmations for Depression and Anxiety
Many people have the tendency to talk to themselves in self-defeating ways. These self-defeating terms are developed from negative thoughts of ourselves, and these negative thoughts have developed over the course of many years. Maybe, we are repeating negative views of ourselves that were brought on by the opinions and views of others, or maybe we are simply too hard on ourselves and set expectations for ourselves in unrealistic conditions that we are unable to fulfill.
To affirm is to assert a positive statement; and an affirmation is a declared statement of truth. Therefore, the goal of affirmations is to present you with the positive truths about yourself in order to better manage overwhelming feelings and situations in your life.
Whatever the case may be for presenting negative and self-defeating terms to yourself, you can override these messages with more uplifting, motivating and empowering words through practicing the use of affirmations.
Affirmations can be a powerful way to remind ourselves of the better qualities that we have or are capable of rather than focusing on terms that represent negative, self-defeating perceptions of us.
Strut your positive qualities through the use of affirmations!
Compilation of quotes and affirmations.
Change self-defeating thinking to obtain higher levels of success, happiness, and health.
Inspiring authors and speakers, such as Louise Hay and Wayne Dyer, express using affirmations to change your thoughts in order to inspire, motivate and make changes to your life.
After learning about and practicing affirmations for years myself, I compiled this list of affirmations to help during times when anxiety or depression tends to dominate over my emotional functions. Please feel free to practice the use of any of these positive affirmations or modify them in a way that you feel may benefit you when you’re feeling down or overwhelmed.
To gain the greatest benefit from this list of affirmations, be sure to state these terms each day, especially when negative thoughts, feelings or situations arise. Say them out loud and clearly in order to feel the power of them. You may find this uncomfortable at first and you may doubt these positive truths about yourself. But over time, it will become easier and the daily affirmations will feel more comfortable and empowering to you.
Realize your value and your own beauty.
List of Affirmations
- "I will not allow self defeating thoughts to consume me. I have many values and capabilities and I will use them to achieve better days."
- "I am worthy of fun and happiness. I will do one thing each day that I enjoy."
- "I am perfectly lovable when I am 100% true to myself. I can not fully receive or give love if I am so busy changing characters to play a role that I believe others wish me to be."
- "I have the power to redirect negative thoughts or situations into positive ones."
- "Allowing thoughts of a past situation to consume my being will not change what is already done. I can not change what has already occurred. But with the proper skills I can make amends with and heal the affects of it."
- "When confronted with a negative situation, I will make my next step a positive one to correct the situation."
- "Consuming myself with possible negative scenarios will not prevent the situation from occurring. I can take preventive measures to try to avoid those possible outcomes and I must trust that I can handle the situation once or even IF it happens. But living in fear of "what if's" is like a cancer eating away at the moments in life that I could be enjoying. So, I choose to let go of fear."
- "I do not have the power to change others and their actions. But I do have the power to choose how I allow myself to be affected by any interaction or how I respond to any situation."
- "When I make a mistake, I can find a way to turn it around and make it right. If someone makes a mistake towards me, I can speak of my feelings, find out their motive and ask for a reasonable course of action to correct or end the matter."
- "I will not give anything or anyone the power to back me into a corner. I are strong enough to save myself, even if I find that I have to push back on those who try to corner me."
Do believe that positive affirmations can be helpful?
- "If they don't love me for who I am, with my own thoughts, my own feelings and my own perceptions...then I'm better off without them!"
- "I will not allow the negative perceptions of others or mistakes I have made to consume my life."
- "When I feel like nothing in my life is worthwhile, it becomes obvious that there is something else I have yet to achieve. I must keep my mind and my heart open to find out what that may be."
- "If I love and accept myself as I am (flaws and all), that will be seen by others and in return they will love and accept me too!"
How Tony Robbins commands his own action.
Remember that your thoughts and your words shape the perceptions you have of yourself, others and situations that occur. In order to create better results for yourself, you must change your perception, and you can change your perception by changing the way you think and the words you speak.
Related hubs by Mary
- Depression Cycle, Redirecting Your Mind over the Matter
Since thoughts feed into our feelings and those feelings feed back into our thoughts, these negative thoughts can keep us trapped in a viscous cycle of self defeat and depression.
- Life with Anxiety; How to Control Anxiety
For people with anxiety, they live in a world where they are in a constant state of extreme uneasiness, apprehension and tension about the prospect of things going badly. Learning to control anxiety can be done through redirecting habitual thoughts.
- Overcoming Self-Defeating Behaviors
Some of us have habits that tend to create a cycle of self defeat. and I would like to present some processes of awareness that may be beneficial in creating more positive outcomes.