Alcohol Can and Will Kill You
Psychological effects of alcohol
Alcohol is an addictive substance that can cause serious health problems to a person who consumes a lot of it. Before the health effects take place there's the mental battle with alcohol. A poem I read earlier spoke about the mental battle with drinking alcohol. It's called Alcohol is Poison written by fellow Hubpages writer Dmoney4God. Check it out!
I've seen it before and experienced it myself. As a young man it's easy to be dragged into a situation where you're likely to have a drink or two. The feeling of drinking alcohol is good as long as its moderated. But what happens when friends aren't around and you get the urge to drink again? This, my friend, is where the problem officially begins. It's like a fly catch in a spider web. It's hard to break free from the dangerous cycle of alcoholism.
Negative effects of alcohol
Everything may feel good when you're drinking, but afterwards you're not going to like it very much. Alcohol is a depressant and will make you feel down when or after drinking it. A popular myth is drinking alcohol makes you tell the truth. Alcohol is evil and only stirs up confusion amongst yourself and others around you. A little drinking of alcoholic beverages on a rare basis won't hurt you much but long term drinking can cause serious problem, and may even kill you. Now to the dangers of alcohol:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Malabsorption (Imperfect absorption of food material by the small intestine) symptoms include diarrhea and gas
- Chronic Pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas that's incapable of healing itself, getting worse over time, until permanent damage is done. Symptons include abdominal pain that could last for up to a few days at a time)
- Liver disease
- Central nervous system and peripheral nervous system damage
- Brain damage
- Certain forms of cancer
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Heart attack and stroke
- Intermittent Claudication (peripheral artery disease) decreased blood flow to legs and feet which can result in injured nerves and other tissues
- Cognition and dementia
- Essential tremor
- Gallbladder effects
- Metabolic Syndrome
- Sexual dysfunction
- Diabetes mellitus
- Rhheumatoid arthritis
- Viral infections and bacterial infections (damage to immune system)
- Common Cold
- Damage to fetus
Think the list of problems above are scary? Keep this in mind that the listed material is just "some" of the negative effects you can suffer from drinking alcohol. An alcoholic will be drinking alcohol during any time of their choosing. Whether they are at work, home, or on the interstate, it doesn't matter. Drunk driving occurs often and is overlooked as a sign of alcoholism.
Save years of your life now by quitting. If you can't do it on your own, seek professional help. Moderating your drinking habit can save your life and you may get a couple of health benefits from it to. It's said that drinking 1-2 alcoholic beverages a day can help the cardiovascular. Drink to much and you become a rusty robot unable to function.