Almond And Health Benefits Of Almond Oil
The almond (Prunus dulcis (Mill.ar) DAWebb) is a plant of the family Rosaceae, but the almond is the seed of this plant.It's a herbal plant
It is a small tree up to 5 meters; has taproots and stems at first straight and smooth and gray, then twisted, cracked and dark leaves, up to 12 cm long, lanceolate and are stalked, flowers, white or rose slightly, with a diameter up to 5 cm have 5 sepals, 5 petals, 40 stamens (arranged in three whorls) and a pistil with ovary semi-inferior. The flowers usually bloom in early spring, and where the climate is mild, even in January and February.
The almond tree is native to Southwest Asia. The domesticated form can ripen fruit, even in the north of the British Isles.
The plant is grown mainly for its seed, almond. Of certain varieties of almond trees are also used wood and endocarp, which reduced to ashes, are exploited in the industry of soap and washing.
Depending on the characteristics of the almond, we distinguish the following varieties:
· bitter, the seeds are toxic;
· dulcis, whose seeds are used in food, confectionery industry and to extract the oil of almond officinale;
· fragilis (or sticciamani) with fresh semen, but not woody endocarp.
Origin and History
The almond tree grows wild in the eastern Mediterranean and the Middle East, the almond trees were first cultivated in this region. Was introduced in Sicily by the Phoenicians from Greece (the Romans called it the "Greek nut") and then spread to France, Spain and almost all countries of the Mediterranean. The fruit of the wild almond contains glycoside amygdalin, which turns into the deadly hydrogen cyanide due to damage to the seed. After the cultivation and domestication, almonds became edible, no doubt they were roasted to remove the toxicity.
Instead, the domestic almonds are not toxic; Jared Diamond believes that a genetic mutation caused the disappearance of the glucoside amygdalin, these mutants were grown by ancient farmers. According to some scholars, the almonds were one of the first fruit trees to be cultivated, "the ability of growers to select the fruit. So despite the fact that this plant does not lend itself to propagation by cuttings or by sucker, it had to be been domesticated even before the invention of the graft. "The domestic almonds appear in the first part of the Bronze Age (3000-2000 BC). An archaeological example of an almond tree, the fruit found in the tomb of Tutankhamen in Egypt (about 1325 BC), probably imported from the Levant.
From the fruits you get a powdery substance useful as a skin cleanser and as a softening of the hands. You can also get a protective skin oil.
Retrieved from squeezing of sweet almond oil this nature triglycerides accounting for over 95% unsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids (oleic and linoleic acid, the remaining 5% of saturated fatty acids consists mainly of myristic acid) with high moisturizing power and softening. Precisely for this reason is also suitable for sensitive skin and for those suffering from rosacea. Lying on the body in small quantities is an excellent after sun, especially for skin that resent the salt water. It 's very suitable to soften the skin and protect the breast. Among its virtues is that of being able to give the skin a good elasticity. Lubricant, anti-inflammatory.
The almond is highly revered in many cultures and is mentioned many times in the Bible, among other things, the almond tree is present in Syria and Israel. The name Jew, "shaken", "shaken", means industrious or vigilant, as the almond is one of the first trees to flower in Israel, usually in early February, coinciding with Tu Bishvat , a Jewish holiday also known as New Year's trees.
Since ancient times, the almond was a symbol of promise for its early flowering, symbolizing God's sudden and rapid redemption for his people after a period in which it seemed he had abandoned, see, eg, Jeremiah 1: 11-12. In the Bible the almond is mentioned ten times, beginning with Genesis 43:11, where it is described as "one of the best fruits."
The main hardship affecting the almond tree shall consist of insects and fungi. Insects are the most important cimicetta (Monosteira unicostata), the field (Malacosoma Neustria), and the beetle Anthonomus amygdali; fungal diseases are the most important 'Armillaria, the Corineus stone fruit, stone fruit and Cancer Jewelry.
YOU CAN FIND LIST OF HERBAL PLANTS AND THEIR USES
- Herbalism and Herbal Plants
The herbal medicine is an ancient art that deals with the knowledge of plants (herbs, medicinal plants, herbs, and spices), their cultivation, harvesting, storage and sale for medicinal purposes...