Aloe Vera - A significant domestic herbal plant
Aloe Vera - Description
Aloe Vera is one of the herbal plants easily available in all parts of the world except the cold regions. It is a stem less succulent plant approximately 60-100 cm tall, spreading sideways. Its leaves are very thick and fleshy and have small white teeth all across it. It has a very long life of approx 100 years but needs proper care for its survival. It is also called as Aloe barbadensis or Aloe perfoliata. Extracts from the leaves are widely used in cosmetics and medicines due to its healing and soothing properties. Aloe Vera plants are commonly found in South Africa and have the capacity to store water in leaves.
ALOE VERA PLANT
Aloe Vera is miracle plant as it contains multiple nutrients beneficial for Hair, Skin and Health. It is majorly a medicinal plant due to its wide range of uses in various medicines and cosmetics. It is extremely effective on skin related problems due to its healing and constructive properties. Its properties make it useful for skin and hair treatments. Anti bacterial properties of Aloe Vera aids in reducing skin related problems like acne, pimples, and dryness. It is a great moisturizer that keeps the skin hydrated and glowing. It can be directly applied on sun burns or any wound for best results. Natural aloe Vera is much better than the flavored one and it is easily available at home.
It is used in medicines and also as a home remedy to treat cuts, wounds, burns, and skin breakage. It contains salicylic acid which acts like an aspirin and has the potential to cure inflammation by destroying the bacteria causing inflammation.
Extracts from Aloe Vera are used in food and energy drinks also. It consists of nutrients, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and active enzymes. Aloe Vera is rich with vitamin A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C and E. Many minerals are also found in it like copper, iron, sodium, calcium, zinc, potassium, chromium, and magnesium.
Drinking Aloe Vera juice helps in digestion and cleansing the digestive system. Thus it helps a lot to people suffering from stomach related issues like constipation, acidity and inflammation. Apart from it antioxidants present in it naturally enhances the immune system which in turn helps in staying young and fit.
COMMON USES AT HOME
- It can be used by ladies for deep cleansing of the skin or even to remove the makeup.
- It can be used over skin to treat the sun burn or any small wounds. One needs to rub the Aloe Vera gel over the affected area
- It is a skin healer or constructer and can be used for healing the cracked feet.
- It can also be used as a night treatment. Aloe Vera with some cucumber can be applied over the face for a hydrated skin.
- It is a great moisturizer and can be applied all over the body for a smooth skin.
- It can be used as mouth wash to avoid bad breath. It helps in removing plaque and gives relief to bleeding or swelling gums.
- Consumption of Aloe Vera juice can aid in curing stomach related problems like constipation or acidity.
Aloe Vera plant is very much popular among the modern gardeners due it wide range of uses and demand in local houses. It is a succulent plant and is able to survive in low rainfall areas also. It requires well drained and sandy potting soil for its proper growth. It is intolerant to heavy snow and need sunny weather.
The plant can be easily grown at home also and can be utilized for its multiple benefits. It can be easily grown at home in 3 simple steps:
- Prepare a pot having a large hole in its base duly covered with a piece of broken pottery. Then fill the pot with potting soil leaving 1 inch edge of the pot.
- Place a leaf of the Aloe Vera Plant on the soil of the pot and put little more soil over it. Then place your pot in comfortable zone nearby sunlight.
- Then water the pot until its edge and make it a regular practice for healthy results. Wait for few days for sprouted tiny leaves of Aloe Vera.
ALOE VERA LEAF
EXTRACTING ALOE VERA GEL AT HOME
Extracting Aloe Vera Gel at home is very easy and useful for effective results. It can be done in 3 easy steps
- Carefully check out thick and juicy leaves for extracting the gel. Cut the leave from the bottom of its plant and let the sap drain on its own.
- Now make the leaves thorn free by cutting the edges of the leaves.
- Now using the knife, peel the green layer of the leaves up to a thickness wherein transparent portion is easily visible. Then chop this transparent portion into small pieces or dices. Transparent Aloe Vera gel is ready for use.
Aloe Leaf contains three different substances called Sap, gel and latex. Gel is basically the Aloe Vera Gel which is present deep inside the leaf and is solid transparent substance. Whereas Sap is fluid just with within top most layer of the leaf and is bitter in taste. This protects the plant from animals. Latex is the substance between Sap and Gel. It is yellow in color. It is also used along with gel in many medicines but is very unsafe for direct consumption. Some people may consume it considering it as Aloe Vera Gel but this is to understand that this substance is not for oral consumption especially in high doses. It can cause cancer and is also very harsh on kidneys.
- Aloe Vera Plant is a succulent plant and cannot bear too much of water or cold temperature.
- It should be properly used at home after understanding its ingredients. Some people use latex instead of gel which is very harsh and has many side effects.
- Its leaves contain lots of spines and should be kept away from the reach of children.