Aloe vera (Aloë vera L.), a miracle herb.
Why I call it Miracle herb when it is a succulent? (It has more common with a cactus than with a herb.)
Because it has so many uses for your health, that even my favourite 3 herbs don't have together (st. John's Wort, Chamomile, Peppermint).
- Aloe is in all anti burn creams.
- Dozens of cosmetic products.
- Boils and abscess medicine.
- Creams for damaged skin.
It is also in herbal remedies for
- Liver and gall problems,
- Cataract (eye pupil damage due to burns or old age)
- and more.
What is Aloe vera?
It is a succulent plant (cactus like, with thorny leaves), living in dry arid areas like deserts. Its native land is probably Sudan or other nearby country in Africa, but Aloe is now cultivated all around the world because of its healing properties.
It is a perennial and its leaves can be harvested when needed, without the need to harvest the whole plant. New leaves grow from the stem.
Gathering and drying
from domesticated and yard bred plants is not necessary, because the leaves can be taken on demand and used at home for a remedy without drying or processing.
A leave is detached or cut from the stem, another longer cut is made side-wise from the base to the top of the leave from any of the sides, where the thorns are.
The content is a semi transparent jelly mass of juice and pulp. The green part can be thrown away or used for compost (it makes excellent compost).
at home can be done in different ways.
- For an ointment extract, the Aloe jelly must be made with light heating in water bath with butter or olive oil until the original quantity is halved. The resulting semi hard mass must be sifted or otherwise cleaned from the aloe pulp and kept in ointment bottle or box (depending on hardness of the extract). Heating must be slow, not to degree of boiling. At 100 degrees Celsius (121 F or simply boiling water), some of the compounds will evaporate.
- Infusion cannot be made, because the heating will be too harsh on Aloe. A cold drink can be made by squeezing the aloe pulp with strainer or other small grid filter. The resulting drink can be sweetened and drank naturally. If you don't like the bitter taste - mix with random fruit juice (also freshly squeezed). Be aware, that Aloe emodin and Aloin (two of the compounds) will have a strong laxative effect on overdosing aloe drinks.
- Cataract remedy can be made with a plant that has been kept in dark and cool room for 2 weeks. There is strong build up of enzymes when the plant is left in dark and cool place. The pulp mass is crushed or mashed with a spoon or fork and is placed over the closed eye lids for 10 minutes. Every day must be applied new, freshly squeezed pulp. After 2 weeks of application, there is improvement of the vision of elderly people (and dogs), that suffer from a cataract. Same is seen in people with their eyes injured by burns or strong light.
Aloe remedies SHOULD NOT be taken by pregnant women without prescription.