Alternative Medicine - Understanding your Chakra's
The history behind Chakras
For a number of alternative medicines you will be using energies, of some form, channelled to or at specific Chakras, so understanding your Chakras is very important. For instance if you are thinking of trying out Crystal Healing for Pain Relief you will need to understand which Chakras are linked to which parts of the body.
Knowledge of the Chakra system and points has come from ancient Indian texts and ideas. There are a number of Indian texts describing energy centres or Chakras spread through the body, with the 7 major points being spaced in line with the spine. By focusing energies on certain areas or removing bad energies from areas, you are able to rebalance and aid the body in its natural healing processes.
Each chakra channels a certain frequency of energy, so when the chakra becomes stressed or over worked it losses/lowers its ability to channel and direct energies correctly. Although each chakra is linked to a specific part of the body they are all interrelated. When one is not functioning to full capacity it may have a knock on effect to the others. Over time this constant imbalance can cause emotional upset or even physical illness.
Each chakra is linked with a physical function, and emotional/mental state and a colour
When trying to heal it is often more beneficial to aim for overall balance of the entire chakra system rather than target one area - although targeting one area for pain can provide short term relief.
The Seven Chakras
So as I explained the body is made up of 7 major Chakra points that are spaced along the spinal column, each being connected to a different part of the body. The main process of the chakras is to maintain a healthy balance between the different parts of the individual.
These are the 7 chakra points
First or Base Chakra
The 'Muladhara' or Base Chakra is located at the base of the spine.
- Colour: red
- Body: adrenal gland
- Main functions: physical survival, stability and energy distribution
- Mental/emotional: practicality
Second or Sacral Chakra
The 'Svadishthana' or Sacral Chakra is located in the lower abdomen, on the pubic bone.
- Colour: orange
- Body: genitals
- Main functions: sexual drive and pleasure
- Mental/emotional: emotions tied to relationship and feelings in general. Plus creativity
Third Chakra or Solar Plexus
The 'Manipura' or Solar Plexus Chakra is located just below the ribcage.
- Colour: yellow
- Body: pancreas and spleen
- Main Function: personal power
- Mental/emotional: sense of identity and self-confidence
The 'Anahata' or forth chakra is located in the centre of the chest.
- Colour: Green
- Body: Heart and Thymus Gland
- Main function: relationships, direction
- Mental/emotional: love, sharing and personal development
The 'Visuddah' or fifth chakra is located at the throat, by the thyroid gland.
- Colour: Blue
- Body: Thyroid Gland
- Main function: Communications and flow of information
- Mental/emotional: Personal expression
Sixth Chakra or Third Eye
The 'Ajna' or third eye is located in the centre of the forehead between the eyebrows.
- Colour: Indigo
- Body: Pineal or Pituitary Gland
- Main function: Mental Organisation and knowledge
- Mental/emotional: Understanding and perception
Seventh Chakra or Crown
The 'Sahasrara' or crown chakra is located at the very top of the head.
- Colour: Violet
- Body: Pineal or Pituitary Gland
- Main function: Overall balance of the chakra system, channelling life energy into the body
- Mental/emotional: sense of wholeness, perception, intuition and inspiration