Alternative Therapies And Diet For Cancer In Late Stages
Vegan diet for cancer cure
Special diet for patients with advanced cancer
In late stages most of the malignancies become metastatic, that is the cancer cells spill into the bloodstream and lymphatics and spread to distant sites. Certain aggressive cancers give rise to secondaries in lungs, liver, bone, skin, brain and gradually the cancer cells take over the metabolic control of the body.
At this stage symptoms like weight loss, severe fatigue, breathlessness, bone pains and pathological fractures begin to appear. In my previous hub, I had discussed about herbs that have the potential to halt cancer spread and cure the malignancy even in advanced stages.
Dietary factors influence survival rates in individuals with certain malignancies such as breast cancer.
The metabolic and energy requirements of the tumor may promote weight loss. The effects of chemotherapy, immunotherapy and radiotherapy lead to nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, change in taste, sore or dry mouth and dental problems.
Surgical interventions may cause difficulty in chewing and swallowing and dumping syndrome or malabsorption.
Dietary strategies to increase appetite or food intake include providing salty foods, nutrient dense beverages such as fruit juice and easy to eat snacks.
Attractive meals and snacks should be provided when the appetite is good and liquid food supplements be chosen when it is poor.
In persons with reduced capacity of the stomach, small frequent feedings may circumvent early satiety and improve nutrition.
One strategy that reduces both food aversions and nausea during chemotherapy, is the ingestion of a diet composed primarily of low stimuli (odourless and colorless) foods served cold or at room temperature.
Swelling and redness of mouth in patients with head and neck cancers can be managed with diets that minimize oral irritation and ease swallowing difficulties.
Dietary recommendations that may reduce cancer risk
- Eat plenty of vegetables and fruits, especially cabbage family (cruciferous) vegetables, deeply pigmented fruits and vegetables containing beta carotene and other carotenoids, and fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin - C, as for example broccoli, cabbage, bell peppers, carrots, spinach, tomatoes, citrus fruits, berries like strawberries, goji berries, acai berries, cherries, mulberry and pomegranates. Aim for at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day.
- Eat plenty of high fiber foods, such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables, aiming for a daily fiber intake of 20-30 grams/day.
- Avoid obesity and aim for weight control through exercise and lower energy intake.
- Decrease fat intake to 30% or less of total energy consumed.
- Minimize consumption of salt cured, smoked and nitrite cured foods, such as bacon, ham and hot dogs.
- Limit or eliminate alcohol intake.
Dietary supplements for cancer cure
- Flax seed - Flax is associated with reduced risk of cancer breast. It has antiproliferative effects, improves mental health and reduces mortality in breast cancer patients.
- Coenzyme Q10 - Also called Ubiquinone, coenzyme-Q10 is a fat soluble provitamin. It is essential for energy production, has antioxidant properties and with no serious side effects. Coenzyme Q10 can program cancer cells to self destruction before multiplying at their customary rates. It helps to improve cancer breast, lymphoma and myeloma.
- Vitamin -C - In high doses vitamin-C can help in regression of certain cancers due to its antioxidant effect. Also ph modified citrus pectin aids in preventing metastatic tumors of several types including cancer breast, prostate and skin.
- Beta carotene - The carotenoids are plant pigments that protect plant cells from damage. Found in plenty in leafy greens and dark yellow or orange colored fruits and veggies, beta carotene has a protective effect in certain cancers.
- Vitamin - E - Being an antioxidant vitamin-E supplementation reduces the incidence of prostate and colorectal cancers.
- Selenium - Increased intake of selenium containing foods leads to a reduced risk of prostate cancer.
- Melatonin - In high doses, melatonin has been shown to improve the quality of life in cancer patients.
Alternative therapies for late stage cancer patients
In late stages of cancer, when pain, loss of appetite, depression and opportunistic infections lead to increased suffering, certain alternative therapies can boost morale and help to improve body immunity to fight the cancer cells. These therapies include the following :
- Prayer and mental healing - Prayer is one of the most powerful form of healing that helps an individual to find strength, guidance and courage.
- Spirituality - This also involves inner strength and imparts peace of mind. It aids to the healing process by bringing the body, mind and spirit together. Spirituality helps an individual to learn to fight and control certain specific cancer symptoms.
- Psychic healing - This is another natural way that helps to relax and cope with stress, anxiety and depression and to control symptoms of pain, sickness and fatigue (tiredness). A psychic healer guides an individual towards a state of self control and well being.
- Biofeedback training - This involves gaining greater awareness of many physiological functions using instruments that provide information about the activity of those systems. The main goal of biofeedback therapy being making the individual to manipulate his own vital parameters like heart rate, blood pressure, temperature, sweating and muscle tension, at his or her own will. With this, the person feels more in control of the situation which in turn boosts body immunity.
- Meditation - Regular meditationhelps an individual to attain relaxation and spiritual healing. It aids in reducing pain and misery.
- Energy healing - The healing process is initiated by focus on and amplifying the life force called the Chi energy or Prana. It makes use of different types of breathing exercises to improve an individual's energy levels.
- Hypnotherapy - This method of healing also helps a cancer patient to relax and cope up with the symptoms. It uses the technique of hypnosis in which a person is put in a trance like state when his body is deeply relaxed but the mind is still active. A hypnotherapist does this by speaking to a person slowly or making him to focus on certain objects. It helps people feel comfortable and more in control of the situation.
Meditate to conquer cancer
- Guided imagery exercises - These should be practiced at least thrice every day, in sessions of 20 minutes each. In guided imagery individuals are made to visualize images which are pleasant to them and make them feel more confident and in control, as for example an individual with cancer is made to close his eyes and imagine a war like situation in which his own blood cells are a troop of powerful knights fighting the weak cancer cells. The person is made to feel the energy and activity, the goal being to improve self confidence and energy levels, which in turn improve the innate immunity and make a person fight cancer on his own.
- Oxygen therapy - This therapy works on the principle of using oxygen in high concentrations to destroy cancer cells. It uses hydrogen peroxide as an intra venous drip or ozone therapy in which a pint of blood is drawn from the body and mixed with different amounts of ozone and oxygen, then re introduced in the body. With this method cancer cells get wiped out since they cannot withstand oxygen in high concentrations.
Developing a positive attitude, practicing regular meditation and following a strict vegan diet (rich in fruits, vegetables, nuts and pulses) and devoid of dairy and animal protein, has helped many people in late stages of cancer to find complete cure.
Do not give up even when the doctor says "It is over", as miracles happen to those who believe in them.
So have faith and struggle to survive.
Reference sources :
- "Cancer Treatments You Have Never Heard About Could Save Your Life !!", www.cancertutor.com
- "Told they had terminal cancer and had as little as weeks to live, the miracle survivers'club have proved the doctors wrong", as published in www.dailymail.co.uk
Disclaimer: This information is not intended to replace the advice of your doctor or healthcare provider but to complement your anti cancer therapy.