What Is Anemia : Causes, Symptoms, Foods to Cure Iron Deficiency
How to correct Anaemia, especially for vegetarians?
Are you Anaemic?
© Chitrangada Sharan Sept. 2012
All Rights Reserved.
My friend's daughter aged around sixteen wanted to donate blood at a blood donation camp in her school. When tested, her sample of blood was found quite low in Haemoglobin and she was declared unfit to donate blood!
- All women, and men too, of whatever age, need Iron to maintain the health of the RBC. that is the red blood cells that provide the vital service of carrying the oxygen breathed in by the lungs to all the tissues of the body.
- When due to some reason or the other, the number of red cells with their iron supply is decreased, the way in which oxygen is supplied to the tissues becomes less efficient. As a result, the body feels short of energy.
- There can be various reasons, which may cause anaemia in adolescents, pregnant women and elderly persons.
- Reasons ranging from poor diet, blood loss due to accidents, internal bleeding or stomach ulcer can lead to Anaemic conditions.
- In the initial stages, it can be corrected by recommended diet by your physician but sometimes supplements must be given to correct Anaemia.
Symptoms Of Anaemia:
- Have you been feeling tired or fatigued without any convincing reason?
- Do you have heavier periods?
- Do you sometimes feel sudden black out?
- Have you gained weight or experienced hair fall problem?
- Do you sometimes feel shortness of breath?
There is a possibility, that you are suffering from the most common form of Anemia/ Anaemia---that is caused by the deficiency of 'iron' in your food.
The best option is to get your blood examined to make sure, whether you have iron deficiency or anaemia or not.
You must take medical advice on the subject and take supplements if your doctor suggests so.
This condition frequently occurs in women, at the onset of puberty, during the childbearing years and sometimes well beyond menopause.
But the good thing is that it can be corrected.
Delicious smoothie to treat anemia
Kitchen solutions to prevent and cure anemia
Take Iron Rich Foods:
1. Start taking Iron supplements, IF your doctor advises;
2. Your daily diet should include enough of various iron providing food, such as meat, particularly liver, eggs, cheese, green vegetables,, dried fruits etc.
3. Green grapes, apple, spinach carrot and beetroot juice, gooseberry-green or dried, radish are some of food items which are very beneficial to correct anaemia. Beetroot juice combined with carrot juice is very beneficial to correct anaemic conditions.
4. Raisins, fresh or dried dates, almonds and other nuts are also very good to cure common anaemic conditions.
5 Sprouted Chick peas or what we call kala chana in India, is quite beneficial in common anaemic conditions.
6. Fenugreek seeds and fenugreek leaves are also good source of iron. They can be cooked in making bread/ chapati/ parathas.
7. Jaggery is another good source of iron. Taking jaggery instead of sugar cuts down on calories too.
Consult Your Doctor, In Case Your Haemoglobin Is Low:
Seek Medical Advice, If You Notice Symptoms:
- If at all, you feel fatigue, dizziness or exhaustion, you must seek medical advice and the required pathological tests to determine, whether you are anaemic or not.
- As a corrective measure, You may be prescribed with certain supplements.
- Anaemia takes time to get corrected, may be few months. Meanwhile, you can continue taking Iron rich food items.
- Your doctor is the best person to advise you, if you are anaemic.
- WHO has taken various measures to tackle the Anaemic conditions all over the world.
© Chitrangada Sharan. 26th Sept. 2012
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
Do you include Iron rich food items in your daily diet?
Anaemia remedies, source: You tube
© 2012 Chitrangada Sharan