- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions»
Diabetic Curry with Amaranth Leaves, Hyacinth beans, and Drum stick(moringa)
How to Choose Vegetables to Make a Diabetic Curry
Making diabetic curry is easy. First you have to find out which are the ingredients you can use for diabetic food. The next comes how to cook and combine them to get a delicious side dish.
After researching on diabetic food, I chose amaranth leaves(harive soppu), hyacinth beans(avare kalu), and drum stick(nugge kai) to make a curry for today. All these three ingredients are diabetic-friendly and they combine well to give an awesome taste.
You can serve this curry with hot rice, pancake, roti, or chapati. Let me share the recipe.
Diabetic Benefits of Amaranth leaves(harive soppu), Hyacinth beans(avare kalu), and Drumstick(nugge kai):
Amaranth is highly nutritious. It is high in fiber, calcium, iron, vitamin A, and Vitamin C. All these properties help to lower cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
Hyacinth beans have oleic acid, leucine, carotene, vitamin B, vitamin C, calcium, zinc, and iron. These are associated with lowering blood sugar level in the body.
Drumstick(Moringa) acts as a natural way to manage diabetes. This vegetable has anti-diabetic properties. Including it in your diet helps to lower blood sugar level.
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Ready in: 40 min
- Yields: Serves four people
- 2 heaped bowls amaranth leaves(harive soppu), washed twice and chopped
- 1/2 cup hyacinth beans, cooked
- 3 drumsticks, cut in 3 cm pieces
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 3-4 or more dry red chilies, as per taste
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds, for grinding
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds, for the tempering
- 6 curry leaves, for the tempering
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp salt, as per taste
- 1 tbsp tamarind pulp, soak tamarind in water and squeeze
- 1/2 tsp jaggery powder, optional, for taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Diabetic Curry
- Wash amaranth leaves twice in water. Chop them. Keep aside.
- Cook hyacinth beans and drumstick with just sufficient water. Add some salt while cooking. Don't overcook. Drum stick breaks open if you cook longer time. If you are cooking in a pressure cooker, cook it till one whistle and simmer for 4 minutes. Turn off the fire.
- Dry grind grated coconut, mustard seeds, and red chilies in a mixer grinder. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan or wok. Throw mustard seeds into it. Let them crackle. Add curry leaves. Add chopped amaranth leaves(Harive soppu). Add some salt. Mix well. Cook for 6-7 minutes, turning the content occasionally.
- Add cooked hyacinth beans(avare kalu) and drumstick(nugge kai). Pour tamarind pulp. Throw a small quantity jaggery powder. Mix well. Continue cooking till the water evaporates.
- Add ground coconut masala. Mix it with the veggies. Turn the contents softly, so that drum stick doesn't break. Simmer for a few seconds. Check for salt. Add, if needed. Turn off the fire.
- Amaranth leaves, hyacinth beans, and drumstick curry is ready to eat. This is a diabetic-friendly curry. Any body can eat this healthy curry.
- Serve this curry as a side dish with cooked rice, pancake, roti, or chapati.