Amazing Health Benefits of Cinnamon
Cinnamon - Amazing Health Benefits
Amazing Medical Benefits of Cinnamon
Cinnamon is one of the oldest spices known to mankind. It is a sweet aromatic spice and the native of Sri Lanka. Cinnamon is a tropical evergreen tree and the inner barks of the tree is dried and used as spice. The scientific name for Cinnamon is Cinnamomum zeylanicum Fam: Lauracaen . It is cassia-based cinnamon that is often seen on the grocery shops.
The Major Health Benefits of Cinnamon
1. Controls Blood sugar.- "One-eighth of a teaspoon of cinnamon triples insulin efficiency," say, James A. Duke, Ph.D., a botanist retired from the U.S. Department of Agriculture and author of The CRC Handbook of Medicinal Herbs. Dr Duke suggests that people with adult-onset diabetes discuss Cinnamon's benefits with their doctor. Taking Â½ to Â¾ teaspoon of ground Cinnamon with each meal may help control blood sugar levels.
2. Lowers Cholesterol
3. Prevents heart disease
4. Reduces a toothache - by applying a mixture of honey with cinnamon powder on the affected area three times a day.
5. Treats common cold and flu - by taking the lukewarm water where 1 tb.spoon of honey and 1/4 teaspoon. of cinnamon powder is added, 3-4 times a day.
6. Eases menstruation pain
7. Acts as birth control
8. Increases breast milk
9. Reduces arthritic pain -Those using cinnamon on a regular basis has reported that their pain is reduced.
10.Reduces urinary tract infections
11. Treats Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
12. Helpful in respiratory diseases
13. Helpful in Gastro-intestinal tract infections such as stomach upsets and ulcer, if taken with honey.
14. Prevents cancer - Recent studies in Australia and India revealed that cinnamon could be useful in treating cancer of the bone and cancer of stomach.
15. Strengthens immunity - by taking 1/4 tsp. cinnamon powder with honey, daily.
16. Weight loss - by taking one cup of water boiled with honey and cinnamon powder, on empty stomach, early morning and in the evening, on a daily basis for a few days.
17. Skin infections, like eczema and ring words - can be cured by applying equal parts of cinnamon powder and honey.
18. Pimples - can be treated by applying a mixture of honey and cinnamon powder, morning and evening daily for a few days.
Recent researches show that Cinnamon may be helpful in preventing Alzheimer’s disease, (Prof Michael Ovadia of the Dept of Zoology at Tel Aviv University),
May work against HIV (study on Indian medicinal herb)
Multiple sclerosis (Rush University Medical Centre)
Cinnamon in Other Languages
Cinnamon is known in other languages -
Tamil - Karuvappadai
Malayalam - Karuvapatta
Kannada - Lavana patte
Telugu - Dalchina chekka
Hindi - Dal chini
French: cannelleGerman: Ceylonzimt, Kaneel
Chinese: yook gway
Indian: dal-chini, darchini, dhall cheene
Cinnamon's importance in ancient world
In the ancient world, it was more precious than gold. It is said that Emperor Nero of Rome, in the first century of A.D, burned a year's supply of cinnamon on his wife's funeral pyre. This extravagant expenditure was to show how much he suffered his wife's loss.
Egyptians used Cinnamon to embalm bodies and also to dry and preserve meat.
In India, it is one of the spices used for garam masala.
Properties of Cinnamon
Cinnamon has properties like
r) and then depresses the nervous system, stomachic.
Where to buy Cinnamon online?
Cinnamon in Food
In India, Cinnamon is also in the preparation of garam masala required for some vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes. In the preparation of pulav rice, cinnamon is an important ingredient. In almost all kitchens, Cinnamon will be stocked, and hence it is easily available for several home remedies. .
Nutritional Value of Cinnamon
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, ten grams of ground cinnamon contains:
- Energy: 24.7 kcal
- Fat: 0.12 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.06 g
- Protein: 0.4 g
Caution and Side effects of Cinnamon
- Higher doses of Cinnamon can cause liver damage.
- People taking medicines for their illness such as diabetes, should not use therapeutic cinnamon;without consulting their physician. it may affect their sugar level adversely,
- Pregnant women should avoid taking cinnamon due to cinnamon's emmenagogic effect.
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies, supplements or starting a new health regime.
Cinnamon for Weight loss
My Other Useful Health Articles
- Amazing Mint Uses and Benefits
Find out the medicinal and other uses of mint and its benefits.
- Health Benefits of Curry Leaves
Find out the various benefits of Curry leaves used widely in South Indian cooking.
- Health Benefits of Jeera - Cumin seeds
Discover the health benefits of jeera (cumin seeds).
- Health benefits of Anise seeds
Anise seeds are easily available in almost kitchens. Find out more about Anise seeds and the health benefits .