Amethyst Bio-Mat: Should I buy one?
An Advanced Infrared Healing Tool
Several months back I was introduced to this very expensive heating pad. I say heating pad, because what else do you call something you lay on that puts out heat? Well it's not a heating pad but a body healing pad! The woman who told me about this "pad" offered to send me one but the shipping would have been costly. I researched it and looked at reviews and decided what the heck, it is cheaper than the biologics my doc wants me on, so why not give it a try. I took the leap and bought one for myself and have now had it for over 3 months and can confidently attest to its pros and cons.
Who Manufactures the Amethyst Bio-Mat?
Richway International makes and distributes the mat, but only a distributor can sell you one. I purchased mine from Healing Arts Garden through . For a couple extra bucks you can get the pillow, which I did. Amazon
What makes it so special?
The pad or mat/pillow is really like any mat you can sleep on found in any retail store. The difference is what is in/on the mat. One side there is a strip of plastic which holds several million amethyst crystals. It also has a heating system. According to the manufacturers when combining these elements you get the following:
- Far Infrared Light is similar to normal light but has wavelengths longer than our eyes can see. It transfers heat efficiently. It can penetrate 6-8 inches into the body using rays that not only benefit the skin but all cells including blood vessels, lymph glands and nerves in the deepest parts of our body. This deep penetrating heat speeds cellular metabolism, reduces pain and quickly heals injuries. Amethyst was found to be ideal for the purpose of converting conductive heat into far infrared light.
- Negative Ions are particles in the air that have an extra electron. They are plentiful near large quantities of moving water such as rainfalls, thunderstorms, and oceans. These particles tend to donate their extra electron, and this can directly cancel oxidation in the body. When the Bio-Mat is turned on, it produces these ions on its surface to transmit the healing effects of these pristine, natural settings.
- Amethyst Crystals have been thought to calm and clear the mind for thousands of years, across many cultures. The Amethysts are used in the mat because of their low specific heat and how it sheds the heat in the form of infrared light.
Why use an Amethyst Bio-Mat?
According to the literature, the Bio-Mat has been shown to:
- Treat chronic pain,
- Support core body temperature,
- Speed the healing of joints and tissue,
- Improve circulation,
- Boost the immune system,
- Promote deep relaxation and improve sleep and
- Improve mood, reduce stress and anxiety.
The Bio-Mat is designed to help the body heal itself naturally.
How to use the Bio-Mat?
So after receiving my Bio-Mat and Pillow, I set it up on my bed. Mind you this thing comes in a suitcase on rollers and it is heavy, a major CON. So finding a place to put it will make using it more convenient. I bought a massage table to put mine on.
Set up is a breeze. The instructions are very self explanatory. Both pieces do come with covers, so that is nice, if it gets dirty you can wash those instead of trying to clean the parts themselves.
To get it up and running, just plug it into the mat and power, turn on the control box and set the temperature. If you can stand it turn it to the higher settings, if not lower the temp. I like it at 132 degrees.
Once you have it set up, get the kids, dogs/cats, husband out of the room. Get a sheet, which helps to build a sauna effect, and your favorite relaxing CD. Lay on the mat, cover yourself with the sheet and relax. That is all you have to do. Recommended times are from 20 minutes to 3 hours as many times a day that you like. They recommend that if you sleep on the mat, which you can, that you keep it at lower temps.
Since using this mat I have noticed the following:
- Treat chronic pain- noticeable decrease in my sacrum/sacroiliac pain which is always inflamed.
- Support core body temperature- I am always cold, little if no circulation through feet and hands; since using all 4 are very warm.
- Speed the healing of joints and tissue- because of my chronic disease my muscles are always hurting. Since using the mat I have noticed a decline in my overall pain level.
- Improve circulation- definite increase in circulation especially in hands and feet.
- Detoxify- have not found a way to determine this yet.
- Boost the immune system- I am on steroids which lowers my immune but I noticed that during one of the worst FLU epidemics this year, I never got sick, not even a head cold.
- Promote deep relaxation and improve sleep- very relaxed when I go to sleep at night.
- Improve mood, reduce stress and anxiety- noticeable improvement and my massage therapist noticed it as well.
So is it worth it to buy an Amethyst Bio-Mat?
The bio-mat is not a cheap product, but is it worth the $1700 dollar price tag? Most people would think not, but if you have some extra cash, and you think you could benefit from this remarkable device, I say buy it. I am not afraid to say I didn't have this kind of cash laying around but with my condition I figured it could at least keep me warm during the cold winter nights if it did nothing else. You can purchase the mat alone without the pillow and save yourself $250 but you can also save a $100 if you are or know someone that can be considered a service provided i.e., physical therapist, massage therapist, nurse, doctor etc. The best deal is to buy both the mat and pillow and get the service provider discount: out of pocket expense $1600
So is it worth it? I felt it was and I am glad that I bought it. I feel much better after using it and have been able to get back on the ski slopes this winter after several years absence. It has helped with my inflammation, chronic pain and I do have a sense of calm after using it. Could it be that all of this is in my mind? Could be, but if you read enough of my hubs you will see this is the cheapest product I have invested in when it comes to finding something to help my body....