An Open Letter To The Medical Quacks On HubPages
This Hub was originally written to be a reply on my Hub Dangerous Medical Quackery Hubs Should Be Deleted to a comment by Kelley Eidem who along with his buddy Chuck Kinsey has been writing Hubs on curing cancer with habanero peppers, garlic, and cod liver oil. Mr. Eidem and I had been sparring in the comments when he finally accused me of missing the point. Here is my reply, and the reason I've made a Hub out of it is because it clearly and directly applies to any and all Hubbers who are writing Hubs about curing cancer or curing anything with medically unapproved quack methods.
I'm not missing the point. You're missing brain cells.
Let me outline it for you ONE MORE TIME and see if you can finally wake up and smell the snake oil.
The American Cancer Society evaluates cancer methods by asking three questions:
- Has the method been objectively demonstrated in the peer-reviewed scientific literature to be effective?
- Has the method shown potential for benefit that clearly exceeds the potential for harm?
- Have objective studies been correctly conducted under appropriate peer review to answer these questions?
Anything, and I mean A - N - Y - T - H - I - N - G that does not meet this criteria is either worthless scam junk OR a substance which has not YET undergone proper clinical trials and MAY have effect X, Y or Z.
1) It is NOT acceptable to medical science to claim that ANY SUBSTANCE which has not met the three criteria of the American Cancer Society has cured anything. Not a cold, not the clap, and NOT CANCER.
2) It is perfectly acceptable to medical science for any individual to claim that they have been cured of cancer when backed by proper before and after test results. Remissions happen all the time, rarely completely spontaneously, but in many cases due to proven therapy. Unfortunately a minority of these remissions are erroneously ascribed by the ignorantly deluded to quack snake oil.
3) It is NOT acceptable to anyone with any firing neurons to ascribe that:
- Clark's "Cure for All Cancers"
- Fresh Cell Therapy
- Gerson Method
- Greek Cancer Cure
- Hydrazine Sulfate
- "Hyperoxygenation" Therapies
- Immuno-augmentative Therapy
- Kelley/Gonzalez Metabolic Therapy
- Livingston-Wheeler Regimen
- Metabolic Therapy
- Pau D'arco
- Psychic Surgery
- Psychologic Methods
- Revici Cancer Control
- Vitamin C
OR KELLEY AND CHUCKY'S SNAKE OIL WILL CURE CANCER!
Why? Because there is no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO clinical proof! Do you understand this very basic statement or do you have a mental block?
But... due to your impregnable stubborness and overwhelming lack of education and intelligence, you continue to hammer on and on and on about your totally ludicrous and completely ridiculous moronic stupidity of a concoction which according to the best knowledge of millions of trained professional oncologists all over the world as of this date is as effective in curing cancer as a Big Mac!
If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, you're a friggin' nuclear bomb!
If an individual who has some reason to believe that they have stumbled upon some substance which has therapeutic properties and is not currently recognized as such by the medical community, they have various options open to them.
1) They can contact the NIH and discuss their findings with the heads of departments.
2) They can consult with legitimate medical researchers and devise a very basic medical experiment which can be conducted inexpensively while at the same time adhering strictly to accepted medical research practices and then get it published in a leading medical journal, even with no medical degree.
What you CANNOT do is to open your big fat mouth and spew out quack dreck which can imperil the lives of innocent patients who are stupid enough to believe you.
I have often stated on my Hubs that I have unyielding belief in God and His ability to perform miracles and also that medicine would be well served by adopting more wholistic policies, but always by maintaining strict adherence to the scientific method, clinical trials, and publication in peer reviewed medical journals. Not by opening medicine up to a free for all where the lives of countless millions fall into the hands of deluded purveyors of quack tinctures and illusory therapies!
Who do you bring to me as an example? A disc jockey! I don't care if Don Imus is a DJ or the President of the United States. (After all the Presidents of South Africa and Gambia both claimed that they could cure HIV-AIDS with herbs and both were thoroughly discredited... so being a head of state doesn't help you override medical logic.) There is no limit to human stupidity and unless it is backed by the criteria above, ANYONE'S TESTIMONIAL IS COMPLETELY WORTHLESS. (Yes, that includes Starbuck's, too... especially the first one... I MIGHT listen a bit more carefully to Katee Sackhoff though, since she's HOT!)
Now you run off at the mouth that you're not "selling" your snake oil so you don't care about the FTC's actions against you. I don't care about the FTC's actions against you either. I think a stint in the State Pen where you can spend your days in an orange jumpsuit cleaning out roadside ditches might be more beneficial to society than the current activity you're currently engaged in. My concern is with the effect that your mindless, merciless, and baseless blather could theoretically have on HubPages itself, as the carrier of your inexcusable PRACTICING MEDICINE WITHOUT A LICENSE ON HUBPAGES. Websites have been shut down before for far less, and I am not going to sit idly by while you idiotically endanger this superlative online writing community due to your mad delusions.
Let's not even BEGIN to mention the chance that some poor, desperate cancer patient might read your verbal sewage and decide to stop their conventional medically accepted therapies to take on your snake oil formula AND DIE!
You might not care if it's on your conscience since it's highly likely you don't have one. But I do, and I don't want someone's death on mine!
Do you have ANY way of understanding this?
Would you like me to write it in Swahili? Morse Code? Smoke Signals? Tattoo it on your forehead? What do I have to do to make you understand this:
SAYING SOMETHING UNAPPROVED CURES CANCER IS BAD.
SAYING SOMETHING UNAPPROVED CURES CANCER IS WRONG.
SAYING SOMETHING UNAPPROVED CURES CANCER IS STUPID.
SAYING SOMETHING UNAPPROVED CURES CANCER IS DANGEROUS TO US ALL.
Now please do all the other writers on HubPages and the rest of humanity a favor. Delete your Hubs and start writing about something that does not violate decency, ethics, logic, intellect, common sense and Federal Law: How about a nice Hub about your last trip to Disney World, or your momma's secret recipe for meatloaf?
ANYTHING BUT YOUR DEMENTED, CRACKBRAINED, DELUSIONAL, IRRATIONAL, LUNATIC, INSANE SNAKE OIL FORMULA!
Thank you. NOW GO AWAY! And take your snake oil with you!