- Aging & Longevity
Anti-Aging Benefits of Wheatgrass
Wheat Grass Benefits
You may have seen or heard about the green drink. That little 2 oz cup of green juice that people are drinking at juice bars or health stores is wheat grass juice.
Many people cringe at the thought of consuming this “miracle food." Whether it’s because of its pungent taste, or its bright green color, chances are most of you have never consumed wheat grass juice. Wheat grass juice is extremely beneficial as a tonic for various ailments, specifically as an anti aging drink.
I always believed that nature has everything we need to stay healthy, vibrant, and age gracefully. If there was really a potion that slows down the aging process, this is it.
What does it mean to AGE?
According to the medical dictionary, aging is "the process of growing older. It includes a reduction in strength, endurance, speed of reaction, agility, basal metabolism, sexual activity and hearing acuity. The bones are more brittle, the skin drier and less elastic and the teeth are shed."
You can delay the aging process by eating a healthy anti aging diet and being active.
What is Wheat Grass?
Wheat grass is actually the young grass of the wheat plant, Triticum aestivum. The blades ( or leaves) are commonly juiced into a green concoction. The taste is sometimes strange to some, therefore is usually taken as a quick shot.
It's often found in juice bars and health stores, such as Whole Foods. Wheat grass can also be dried into powder and pill form for consumption.
According to Ann Wigmore in The Wheatgrass Book, many people are now drinking shots of wheatgrass to help decelerate the aging process.
Wheat grass also contains amino acids, vitamins, enzymes, and minerals that can provide many health benefits.
Where to Buy Wheatgrass
How does wheat grass help with anti aging?
Wheatgrass contains chlorophyll
- The molecular makeup of chlorophyll is very similar to hemoglobin; the substance in our blood that processes oxygen and delivers it to our cells. It supports the anti-aging theory by maintaining healthy, clean blood to sustain health and vitality.
- Similarly, chlorophyll is the lifeblood of the plant. Chlorophyll also has antioxidants and is anti inflammatory.
- People who swear by wheat grass juice as a daily tonic insist that the high concentration of chlorophyll provides the greatest anti-aging benefits. After drinking wheat grass juice, they immediately feel increased energy. In addition, they also notice better digestion, better sleep, and improved circulation.
- Wheat grass, along with fruits and green vegetables are considered alkalizing foods. According to Dr. Otto Heinrich Warburg, our body functions best when it is at the optimal pH level.
Take this quick poll!
Have you had a shot of wheat grass before?
- Skin and body rejuvenation is largely dependent on enzyme activity. Wheat grass provides the spark to ignite the cellular renewal processes.
- According to research performed by Dr. Peter Rothschild, M.D. at Smith-Kline Bio-Science in Honolulu, young grasses are excellent sources of superoxide dismutase (SOD), a powerful antioxidant and anti-aging enzyme.
- The active ingredients in wheat grass juice are capable of cleansing the blood and neutralizing toxic substances. According to Japanese scientists working with Dr. Yoshihide Hagiwara, M.D., enzymes and amino acids in young grass plants de-activated the carcinogenic and mutagenic effects of toxic chemicals including nitrogen compounds as those found in automobile exhaust.
- Wheatgrass contains such an abundance of natural, whole-food vitamins, minerals, trace elements, and enzymes that it is literally a source of energy production fuel requiring negligible energy to even digest. Because of its easy digestibility and rapid assimilation, it's a natural energy supplement whether alone or added to a protein-type supplement drink.
The recommended dosage of wheat grass juice is:
- 1 to 2 fluid ounces of fresh-squeezed wheat grass juice once a day; or
- 1 tablespoon wheat grass powder (1 to 3 times a day); or
- 7 to 10 wheat grass tablets (500 mg) a day.
What are you waiting for? Get yourself a shot of wheat grass and feel the difference!