Applying For Disablilty Due To Fibromyalgia
Years ago it was pointless to even think about applying for disability due to your fibromyalgia. Because it's an invisible disease they feel like there is nothing wrong with you.It would take years to get it.But it was always because by then there was something else to add on, and THAT is why they accepted it.
But now they have guidelines that you can go by so that you CAN get disability.The guidlines that they go by are:
- Your Fibromyalgia affects the ability of you being able to work 8 hours a day,5 days a week.
- Your medical records records show proof of your inability to work.
- You have "focused" disabling symptoms (severe fatigue,sever chronic pain,severe fibrofog,etc)
- The start date of your disability being right before leaving a job,or while you were trying to get another one)
- You must have enough work credits avg is 40
Staying One Step Ahead Of The Game
When you decide to file for disability.Make sure you get all the medical records from all of your doctors.Also have them make clear notes in your medical records that you have brought up the difficulty you are having at work. A good idea is to highlight the area's that say :
Those will be for future reference.You will also need those and a few more so that you can actually apply for disability.
How To Apply
You can apply at: your local social secuirty office,by calling 1-800-772-1213 or online at http://www.ssa.gov/applyfordisability/
Make sure you have these handy because you will need them to apply
- The dates of your marriages and/or divorces
- The birth dates of your children(under 18)and your spouse
- Discharge information (military services)
- W2 Form from the previous year
- Checking/Savings account info (for direct deposit-if you want it)
For the disability report you will need:
- The name,address and phone number of a friend or relative that they can use as a witness to claim that you do indeed suffer too much to be able to work
- The names, addresses, phone numbers, patient ID numbers, and dates of treatment for all doctors, hospitals, and clinics.
- The names and dose of the medicines that the DR has prescribe you
- Name's and dates of medical tests you have taken and who sent you to do them
- A list of up to 5 jobs that you have had in the past 15 years
- Information about insurance or a workmens comp claim
You must do the disability application AND the disability report.