- Alternative & Natural Medicine»
Aromatherapy Facial Steam
Soothe your skin with aromatherapy.
Aromatherapy Steam for Your Skin
An aromatherapy facial steam can help you unwind and relax as you steam your pores and gently remove toxins clogging your skin. Learn how to prepare your very own spa-style aromatherapy facial in just 5 minutes, and then treat yourself to an aromatherapy facial steam once a week.
Benefits of Facial Steaming
The moisture in gentle steam heat can open up your pores and push toxins to the surface. This can make you skin appear more even and your pores look smaller. The steam also adds moisture back to your skin, which makes this treatment essential for relieving dry winter skin.
Aromatherapy essential oils can offer a range of compatible benefits when steaming your face. Select the aromatherapy oil that is right for your mood or your skincare needs -- or just go with a scent you enjoy!
Choosing an Essential Oil for DIY Facial Steam
While there are many different essential oils you can use for skincare, the following are easily found in natural stores and offer skincare and mood benefits:
- Chamomile - Soothing chamomile will calm your spirits and gently moisten sensitive skin.
- Clary sage - Helps to soothe skin during hormonal changes.
- Eucalyptus - This refreshing scent will awaken tired spirits and soothe oily or troubled skin.
- Frankincense - Ideal for dry skin.
- Geranium - Good for normal, oily, and dry skin.
- Lavender - Ideal for normal or dry skin and mentally soothing.
- Lemongrass - The zesty citrus scent will refresh tired spirits and soothe oily or troubled skin.
- Rose - Offers hormone balancing properties for mature skin.
- Tea Tree - Ideal for zit-busting.
Note: If you have congestion in the winter, you may also find it helpful to steam your face with eucalyptus essential oil.
How to Prepare Your DIY Aromatherapy Facial Steam
Add two cups of water to a pot. Bring the water to just under a boil, so that steam is created. Pour or ladle the water into a wide ceramic bowl. Then add 5 drops of your chosen essential oil to the hot water. The water should immediately distill the oil.
Sit or stand with your face over the bowl to receive the maximum steam benefits. Drape a towel over your head to create a steam tent that keeps the steam in the area where it can do you the most good. Relax for up to 10 minutes.
If the water becomes too cold, you can pour more hot water into the bowl. Alternately, you can turn the burner off and add the essential oils directly to your pot of water. If the water becomes too cold and the steam subsides, heat the water gently to create more steam.
Other Uses for Aromatherapy Essential Oils
Other Aromatherapy Ideas
- Aromatherapy Therapy - Essential Oils
Essential oils have been used since the early Egyptians over 5000 years ago. This article explains the many aromatherapy benefits, plus the benefits of therapy massage. Essential oils are reviewed.
- DIY Herb Facial Steam
In 10 minutes, you can prepare this soothing facial steam.
- Aromatherapy Baths With Essential Oils
The choice of aromatherapy application creates a major impact on the effectiveness of using aromatherapy. It determines how easily the helpful properties of the oil are absorbed by the body and acts on those imbalances to improve overall function. ..
- How To: Making Aromatherapy Candles
The concept of scented candles is probably no longer alien to you. Scented candles is a popular stress relief method and is just one of the many applications of essential oils in aromatherapy. If you are interested to learn how you can make one at...