Ayurvedic Herbs - Triphala Churna | Health Benefits | Home Remedies
Very few foods in the world are known to balance all the 3 doshas, the basis of health when these doshas are in perfect balance, namely Vata, Pitta & Kapha. Usually a food either destroys excess vata, or kapha or pitta, just any one or at the most 2 of these doshas.
However, there are certain foods that will destroy the excess of all 3 doshas and bring about a balance in them. Among these, the most important and one which holds the prime position is Amla, the Indian gooseberry followed by Harad and Baheda respectively.
What Is Triphala Churna
Triphala is composed of 2 words:
- Tri meaning three
- Phala meaning fruits
Therefore, triphala means 3 fruits and triphala churna means a powder made of 3 fruits,. Triphala churna is thus a powdered blend of 3 herbal fruits minus their seeds. These are:
- Harad, also called Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Baheda, also called Vibhitaki (Terminalia belerica)
- Amla, also called Amlaki or Indian gooseberry (Emblica officinalis)
Triphala churna is usually called just triphala and it is the most popular and powerful blend of Ayurvedic herbs which has traditionally been used to treat a variety of health conditions.
Triphala is a Rasayana, and according to the classical Ayurvedic text "Charaka Samhita", daily intake of triphala for one whole year, makes a person live for a hundred years without disease.
The 3 fruits that are used to prepare triphala are abundantly available in India. Triphala is available in powder, tablet and capsule forms. It can also be consumed as a kwath (water decoction) and also as a tea.
Of the six tastes recognized by Ayurveda triphala has five, viz, sweet, sour, bitter, pungent and astringent. Only, the salty taste is missing.
Some More On Triphala By Vaghbhata
Vaghbhata, the person who popularised Ayurveda in ancient times, has praised Triphala so much, that out of the 7000 odd Ayurvedic sutra or formulae devised by him to treat diseases, he has written over 120 sutras just on triphala, by altering the combinations and foods, with which triphala should be consumed.
However, he stressed on the importance of the correct proportions of these 3 ingredients in the triphala powder.
The ratio of the 3 herbal fruits are a very important factor in determining the medicinal efficacy of triphala as per Vagbhata, possibly the most influential of the writers of Ayurvedic texts.
Vagbhata suggests their use in the ratio of 1:2:3 for Harad:Baheda:Amla in routine and normal course. Only under exceptional cases this ratio stands altered. He says the ratio of 1:2:3 acts best
Though many people use triphala keep in mind the the ratio of these ingredients is of paramount importance in determining the success or failure in relief from disease.
In fact, triphala is more beneficial than even Chyawanprash, the popular Ayurvedic rejuvenator. It is far cheaper as well.
My video below, shows how you can easily prepare triphala churna at home. Watch the video, purchase the ingredients and prepare your own triphala churna.
How To Make Triphala Churna At Home
Purchase These Ingredients & Make Your Own Triphala Churna
The herbal fruits needed to make triphala can be purchased from a shop selling Ayurvedic herbs & spices. We call these shopkeepers as Pansari.
If you are making your own triphala first remove and discard the seeds from each fruit (amla usually is available without the seeds).
If you wish to purchase all the fruits in powder form then you can buy them as well and just weigh and blend them as required.
After the herbs/fruits are blended store them in an airtght bottle away from light, heat and moisture. Triphala will stay good for several months this way.
Benefit Of Making Your Own Triphala Churna
The benefit of making your own triphala churna is that you can prepare it in any ratio. The important thing here is that most commercially available triphala churna contains all ingredients in equal amounts which is not how it ought to be as this ratio is found to be effective only in certain cases.
Moreover, homemade triphala is cheaper, without any added preservatives and of better quality.
The Ingredients Used In Triphala ChurnaClick thumbnail to view full-size
How To Use Triphala - Dose & Method
Triphala can be taken either in the morning or at night depending on what purpose it is being used for.
If it is taken as a tonic, then it is to be taken in the morning on empty stomach about 45 minutes before breakfast @ 1 tsp with either gur (jaggery) or honey.
If the purpose is to cleanse the stomach, or get relief fromgas, indigestion, constipation, piles, fissures or other gastrointestinal problems, then it should be taken at night just before going to bed @ 1 tsp with either hot water or hot milk.
Triphala can be taken safely for a maximum period of 3 months at a stretch after which a break of 15-20 days needs to be given. It can then be taken for 3 months more, and so on...
Remember this 15-20 days gap is very important.
Difference Between Morning & Night Consumption Of Triphala
According to Vaghbhata, even though you are consuming the same triphala in the morning and at night, its effect is different.
Eaten at night triphala has a cleansing effect on the digestive system as well as all the organs. The most felt effect is relief from constipation, and constipation is the root cause of most diseases as per Ayurveda, no matter how chronic it is.
Taken in the morning triphala acts as a powerful nutrient that supplies a multitude of minerals and vitamins our body needs.
Therefore decide what benefit you wish to get from triphala and then take it either in the morning or at night.
As a general rule, if you are healthy and free from disease take it in the morning. If you suffer from disease take it at night.
Triphala, Weight Loss & Obesity
For anyone who suffers from excessive weight and obesity triphala is a boon and can help in reducing weight and obesity. Just consume it in the morning as suggested.
You can also have amla alone, about 3 to 4 in the morning daily, or even amla murabba. Amla is super rich in antioxidants and therefore it also helps to keep you younger looking and feeling by maintaining all the organs in top condition.
Properties Of Triphala
The combination of the 3 herbal fruits in triphala churna give it wide ranging health properties that translate into several health benefits for us. Among its properties are the following:
- anti cancer
- anti viral
- anti microbial
- anti inflammatory
- anti allergy
- hepato protective
- anti aging
- immuno boosting
- anti mutagenic
- chemo protective
- radio protective
Health Benefits Of Triphala
Triphala is rich in several nutrients among them being vitamin A & C, and minerals Magnesium, potassium, calcium, iron, selenium and zinc, and gallic acid and polyphenols.
Among the plethora of health benefits, triphala consumption confers on us, some are:
- Triphala pacifies and corrects all the 3 doshas, Vata, Pitta & Kapha, to bring them in balance with each other. According to Ayurveda, the imbalance of one or more doshas is, primarily, the cause of disease. When this balance is restored health is restored.
- Relieves constipation, piles, fissures, etc; in fact, all disease conditions that owe their origin to the stomach and intestines. It relieves gas, distension and cleans the colon.
- Purifies the blood and detoxifies the liver and thus it stimulates bile production, lowering both cholesterol & triglyceride levels. It also helps in digestion and assimilation of food.
- Improves adrenal function and nourishes the reproductive organs.
- Helps in insulin production and managing diabetes better by lowering blood sugar.
- Relieves anxiety and stress.
- Being rich in vitamins C & A triphala gives relief in asthma and other respiratory conditions, also removes excess mucus by normalizing kapha.
- Lowers blood pressure, improves circulation and protects the heart.
- The detoxifying and anti aging effects in a younger look and feel skin, the hair becoming prominently stronger and thicker and premature greying being checked.
- It increases metabolic rate, detoxifies the body, burns fat and reduces weight and By reducing weight & obesity.
- Prevents dental caries, its effects being at par with chlorhexidine, the current day allopathic mouthwash ingredient.
- Fights cancer cells and stops development of cancer.
- Benefits in eye/vision problems, strengthens the eye muscles and protects against conjunctivitis, cataract and glaucoma.
To reduce eye fatigue/redness boil 50 gram triphala powder in 1 liter water. Simmer till 250 ml remains. Cool it and wash eyes with it. It also makes eyes sparkle.
- For headache, drink a glass of water in which 1 tsp of triphala has been mixed.
- Increase hemoglobin and prevents anemia. Also purifies blood.
- Gargling the mouth with triphala water cures mouth ulcers.
- For cough and fever take 1 tsp triphala with a tsp of honey.
- Reduces the pain and swelling of arthritis.
- Boosts the immune system.
Some Side Effects Of Triphala
Though generally safe, some side effects reported with triphala use are:
- Those with sensitive stomach may suffer from burning sensation in the body.
- Insomnia in some cases.
- Loose stools may occur especially if starting its use for the first time.
Forms In Which Triphala Is Available
Triphala is available as a powder, tablet and capsule forms. You can use it in any form you find convenient.
Some References For Reading
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician or health care provider before taking any home remedies or supplements.
Some Of My Other Articles
- Bael Fruit, Stone Apple Or Aegle marmelos And Its He...
Bael, Stone apple, or Aegle marmelos is a medium sized tree native to India with a host of health benefits. Learn about the health benefits, medicinal properties and uses of Bael by reading on...
- Healthy Spices | Javitri (Mace) Health Benefits
Javitri or mace is one among the many healthy Indian spices. Learn about its many health benefits...
- Healthy Spices | Chinese Five Spice Powder
Chinese five spice powder is a traditional seasoning that is used in Chinese cooking, in fact, in most Asian and Arabic cooking. Learn about its health benefits and find a basic recipe to prepare it..
- Memory And Aging - Strategies And Foods That Improve...
Memory decline as we age is a common condition. Learn strategies to prevent memory decline, in fact, even increase memory along with a list and description of foods to improve memory...
- Benefits Of Alkaline Water - Healthy Drinking Water
An acid condition of the body is the cause of most diseases. Alkaline water is the best form of healthy drinking water that one must drink. Read about the benefits of alkaline water for our health...
© 2016 Rajan Singh Jolly