Ayurvedic methods to help reduce your obesity
Ayurveda dates back to our ancestors when it was a method to treat diseases. It is a traditional method to treat diseases and ensure a long life to the human body. It finds its origin in India where the Ayurveda holds an important place in its tradition and culture. Ayurveda uses the concept of five elements that define this whole universe to enhance a healthy living. It focuses on healthy eating which keeps the digestion proper and leads to vitality. It also lays emphasis on yoga and meditation. What once used to be a part of our culture has now become an alternate medical therapy to treat various modern day diseases which arises due to our lifestyle and bad dietary habits.
Obesity has become a major problem of the world with more and more people becoming victim of obesity. The statistics of obesity says it all with US leading the charts for obese people. It is not a single disease but is a bouquet of disease which comes along with the obesity. UK tops the chart for women and men obesity. Childhood obesity has become a problem in US. According to WHO by 2015 we will have 700 million people suffering from obesity which includes children as well. This has been well realized by the people now and many have moved towards healthy lifestyle but still there are million people who are waiting and doing nothing but thinking to change their lifestyle to healthier one.
Ayurveda can help all people who are thinking of changing. It includes no heavy weight exercises which can backfire if left in between. As already mentioned it uses the concept of five elements of which this universe is made up and our body as well. It states that each body has its own doshas or shortfalls and one of this is obesity or being overweight. This is due to imbalance in water and earth elements of the body. It also gives blame to poor digestion system for being obese or overweight. Ayurveda describes the causes of obesity as following:
· Physical inactivity
· Untimely sleeping
· Poor dietary habits
· Consumption of sugary foods
It also describes the risk that an obese person is open to that is high blood pressure, heart diseases, diabetes, skin related problems, piles, hepatitis and problems related to kidney. The methods described in Ayurveda to reduce obesity are described in the following article.
1. Yoga – there are several asanas or body postures described in yoga which help in reducing the fat from different parts of the body. The aim of yoga is to make the body physically active. Aerobic exercise like jogging, walking and swimming are considered the best to reduce obesity.
2. Mental exercise- the importance of physical activity has been understood by the people but mental exercise is as important as physical exercise. It will keep your brain balanced and will also help in reducing the extra calories by diverting the attention.
3. Sleeping – it is recommended in Ayurveda that sleep is important and essential for human body but sleeping untimely can cause obesity by reducing the metabolism of the body.
4. Honey – it is a highly recommended product for diabetic person and with green tea can work wonder for obese people.
Ayurveda suggests the above mentioned changes in lifestyle which can help in reducing the extra fat from the body. Besides these methods there are medicines and natural methods in Ayurveda which can help in reducing obesity they are as below
· Consumption of lukewarm water with honey early in the morning. It helps in reducing the sugar intake the whole day.
· Hot water and ginger tea helps in keeping the stomach full for a longer time and prevent obesity.
· Guduchi (tinospora cordifolia) improves the immune system.
· Triphala improves the digestion power of the stomach and is highly recommended for people seeking to reduce weight.
· Use of pungent spices like cumin, ginger and black pepper is recommended for obesity reduction.
There is no particular approach in Ayurveda the treatment is based on the mindset of the person who wants to take advantage of it. It mainly aims at correcting the doshas and thus bringing about the desired change in the body. It has been used in modern medical science to treat some of the most dreaded disease. The power of herbs and their healing ability rectifies and purify the whole body system and helps in treatment of the diseases.