BPA Free Products Are Still Toxic – The Facts You Must Know About BPA And Its Replacement BPS
Unless you have been hiding under a rock, you’ll have definitely heard about BPA and its dangerous involvement with plastics.
You may also be aware of the efforts manufacturers have gone to, to make their products BPA-free and the huge expenses they have had to endure to assure customers that their products are now safe for use by babies, children and all adults.
But what you may not have heard is that the product that has replaced BPA in the manufacture of plastic products is BPS. A product that could just be as bad, or even worse.
BPA-free does not mean a product is safe. In fact it may be even more toxic than its predecessor.
What is BPA?
BPA, which stands for bisphenol-A, is a controversial plastic additive found in many common household and children’s items such as plastic bottles, plastic sippy cups, plastic takeaway containers, cutlery and even some plastic wrap. It is also found in common supermarket tinned foods including soups and canned vegetables.
Basically it is a chemical that cleverly mimics the hormone estrogen.
Estrogen plays an essential role in all of our bodies and is critical to the development of our brain and organs. Studies suggest that too much or even too little especially during our younger years and even whilst we are still developing in the womb, can cause developmental concerns later in life.
BPA Was Banned In Plastic Bottle Manufacturing
In 2008, the dangers of BPA began surfacing. Customers began to demand BPA-free products, particularly for their children and boycotting purchasing any product without a label reflecting such facts.
As a result, many manufacturers began to alter their products, removing BPA, and in mid 2012 the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced that baby bottles and plastic sippy cups could no longer contain bisphenol-A (BPA) (by law).
Common products with BPA
- Cans: Tins and canned food - soup and vegetables - found in the lining
- Baby Food: Plastic lids on jars, sippy cups and even some pacifiers
- Disposables: Plastic cups, cutlery bowls, plates etc
- Toys: Including bath toys
- Bottles: Water bottles
- Containers: Food storage containers
Is BPA still used in manufacturing?
Yes, surprisingly, BPA is still commonly used in the manufacture of packaging today!
There are some plastics which still use BPA, and many canned soups and vegetables have BPA as part of their lining.
How many of you purchase canned vegetables? Tin soup?
Many plastic products that are being advertised as BPA-free, are still releasing synthetic estrogen because it is found in BPS, the replacement ingredient.
What replaced BPA in plastic manufacturing?
BPS, or bisphenol S is the replacement for BPA in plastics.
BPS is just as toxic as BPA.
Bisphenol S sounds almost the same as Bisphenol A and there is a good reason as to why this is so. Simply, they are almost identical.
Yes, the product used to replace the toxic BPA is just as toxic or even more so than BPA itself!
Both have links with hormone-related cancers such as breast and prostate cancer.
BPA free does not mean safe.
Are you a concerned parent?
As a concerned parent what is your option? Simple. If you are wanting to avoiding or all of these nasty chemical toxins that can leach into your child's food, the best alternative is glass!
How to avoid potential toxic concerns?
The only way to avoid the potential harming effects of BPA, BPS and other nasty elements found in plastics, tins and bottles, is to avoid them altogether.
Use glass or stainless steel bottles and glasses.
If you have plastic bowls, cutlery or other items at home, let the kids use them for craft activities or recycle them. What ever you do, don't reheat them as that is when the chemicals have a greater chance of leaking into foods.
How can you avoid tinned and canned soups and vegetables? Well arguably it is healthier to purchase fresh or frozen vegetables and make soup yourself.
Replace baby bottles with glass varieties, replace drink bottles with stainless steel and eliminate the use of plastic in your home.
It's just not worth the risk.
© 2014 AnswerQuestions