The "Be Astute" Diet
Organic or non-organic? GMO or non-GMO? There are so many questions out there. We don't trust our foods in the stores anymore. Unfortunately I have had experience with my children and extended family suffering from too many autoimmune diseases that I've had to make some changes. I am trying to feed my family the best wholesome organic and non-GMO foods rather than opting for the easy processed foods out there on the market.
Participating in this "Be Astute Diet" is not your typical diet of eating processed microwave meals sent to you in the mail. However, this is about being smarter about your choices.
The Be Astute Diet!
- Be Astute! Be aware! Be perceptive!
- Stop by your local produce stand to grab some fresh veggies and fruits (preferably organic).
- Be aware in your grocery store and shop in the outer edges of the store. Spend more time in the produce, dairy and meat sections.
- Avoid the end caps in the stores, bursting with bargains that grab your eye. I'm all for the deals these days, however, they usually aren't very healthy bargains.
- Check out the natural organic non-GMO aisles of snacks, you may find that the prices have gotten more reasonable.
Pesticides and chemicals are very scary. Unfortunately, I've witnessed family suffer from some very aggressive cancers which may be linked to the possibility of eating farm grown foods drenched in pesticides. For decades, farmers have trusted manufacturers to provide them with supposedly "safe" chemicals to help maintain their progress. A long list of diseases have now been linked to these chemicals.
It doesn't hurt to try to fit in some exercise. Of course, check with your physician before starting any exercise program. Walking is also an excellent way to de-stress and get your body moving. If you are in this to lose weight you must rev up your metabolism.
Start small and every morning drink a cold glass of water. I've actually been making a fresh pitcher of lemon water each morning. I slice up one fresh lemon, sprinkle the lemon slices with two packets of stevia and add about a 2 quarts of spring water. The lemons eventually make a nice mild lemonade as the day progresses. There are some studies out there that say a cold glass of water (especially lemon water) in the morning will increase your metabolism and help your kidneys function. See the picture below that shows more benefits of lemon water.
Simple! It's all about being smart and following your gut. I hope you can take some of these simple solutions to becoming healthier and happier.
Go drink some sunshine (lemon water)!!