What Does Mean To Be Motivated?
Motivation comes from hundreds of different sources and varies depending on the individual. One individual may find motivation to start self defence classes, because they are getting bullied at school. Another may find motivation to go exploring around the world simply because they have had enough of their day to day life. Whatever the reason, motivation does not find you. You find motivation. If you take nothing away from this, just remember that. It is you who finds motivation.
Motivation For Anything You Want
The link posted to the right, may seem like another sports maniac pushing an extra repitition down the gym, or sprinting the extra mile. However, that is not why it is there. The speech which is, in the background is a motivational speech which can be adopted to anything you need motivation for. Believe it or not, this is the most played MP3 file on my phone. When walking around the city listening to music, normally it is a speech. Just to find that motivation. To motivate me, to be more, to be better. Do not cast it aside, listen to it once, all the way through. I promise you, you will feel motivated by the end of it.
Examples of Personal Motivation
Surround Yourself With Motivation
As previously mentioned, the key is to surround yourself. A personal belief of mine is that by listening to motivational speeches and surrounding yourself with motivational media, such as images and quotes, will help keep you motivated for your goals. Within my own bedroom, I have what, I consider as my, 'Wall of Motivation.' On this wall are images and quotes which really motivate me, some examples that I have on my wall are located just to the right.
To reach your goals, whatever they may be, there are concepts and idealogy to keep yourself motivated. Here are the stages;
- Set goals - Be realistic, you will need to work hard, you will need to sweat. Get yourself a journal, set yourself where you would ideally like to be in a month, two months, three months time. Set goals along the way. For example, I have a, 'Physical Transformation,' journal. This contains, targets of endurance, measurements of muscles, weight, just everything which involves fitness. These goals really help me focus and achieve, month in month out. This is number one for achieving your goals, whatever they may be!
- Push Yourself - Along side the first stage, always push yourself, if you target or goal was easily achieved, do not stop trying to do better. To be more. If you know that there is something extra you could do, no matter how small it may seem, go out there and do it. Each day, earn your sleep. Do not go to sleep unless you feel a sense of fulfillment for the day. Only by pushing yourself will you exceed your goals and feel huge self-fulfillment.
- Stay Focused - Just by reading this blog, it is clear that there is something you want to do, something you want to achieve. There are many things along the path of progression which can greatly affect this. A new partner, a new job, usually something new will come into your life and disrupt your current lifestyle pattern, when this happens, think of it as a challenge and overcome it. Do not allow yourself to be brought down by negative changes in your life. Self belief is all you need, but having other believe in you can help drastically. Try to surround yourself with positive people, people who share the same goals and ambitions. Let them people go who pull you down, you know who they are. My personal focus, comes surrounding myself with other individuals who are adept in what I am trying to accomplish. For example, within martial arts, my training partner pushes me to do more, to be better. In turn, I like to think that I offer him the same kind of motivation.
Reasons People Lose Motivation
Most people lose motivation is because they lack the confidence to achieve. If you do not believe in yourself, then you will not think you can do anything, the first stage is to take the first step. To avoid losing confidence, try some of the stages previously mentioned, especially surrounding yourself with people who share the same positive ambitions, as they will boost your confidence and act as a catalyst for you to achieve. A classic theory used to develop confidence within individuals is to set time aside to reflect on all the positive apportions of your life. Think of all the achievement you have accomplished and how strong you have been. Some scientists actually argue that by doing this just before bed, it will increase your confidence to a larger scale. However, I believe it does not matter what time you do it, as long as you do it.
The mind is a powerful sub-concious thinker. Without thinking the mind changes reality to what it wants to believe, so if you think heavily on negative thoughts, your mind will find examples of negativity in your day to day life, hence bringing you down more. However, if you focus on the positive elements, the mind will adopt this approach to all around you, and you will feel happier. If there is a will, there is a way. If you believe, you can achieve. Which ever way you word it, you can do it.
Another key reason that people lose their way to their goals is because they lack the direction needed to achieve. They know what they want, but they simply do not know how to get there. This is what seperates a motivated individual from a non-motivated individual. If you know what you need to do, but lack the focus and determination to get there, then return to the stage of motivational and study hard! If you do not know how to get to where you want to be, you are not ready to get there yet. Discover, explore and understand. Research exactly what it is you want, and learn how to make it possible, this process in itself is progression and will motivate you to follow through and achieve. A prime method to increase your direction toward your goals is to develop your own journal for whatever it is you are trying to achieve. For example a sporting sprinter may develop a goal set like this;
- Run 4 miles every three days.
- Beat a time of 12 minutes per mile.
- Enter a marathon.
By being able to tick off and achieve these goals, the individual will become more motivated. A large scale goal, such as, 'Enter a marathon,' will give the individual something to train towards. A goal like this should always be a distant one, so you give yourself time to be prepared and achieve it. Even if you fail to achieve it, do not be disheartened, use it as motivation to complete whatever it may be next time round. It is not about how many times you are knocked back, it is about how many times you come back that counts. Constantly strive to move forward.
Inspiration At Its' Best
Never Give Up
Although the video to the right is commonly associated with fighting and boxing. (Being a Rocky film and all...) It is actually much broader than that, it can be applied to any goal, any ambition you want to achieve. The key message to take away from the video is that, it is not about how many times you fail or do not succeed, it is about how many times you pull yourself back up and strive forward again. It is this determination which will make you constantly motivated. If you do not try again and just let yourself fail, that is all you will ever expect and eventually you will become acceptable with failure. This will eat into your lifestyle. Just carry on trying. It will even benefit you psychologically. If you believe it is good for you, you will do it more.